U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 08:05 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,950,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Window re-screening appears to be an overlooked high-paying opportunity. It's not hard work (no ladders and he didn't sweat). It also doesn't require a big investment. I'm guessing there are lots of similar jobs, I just don't see them very often.

If you want to wear a paper cap and flip burgers for minimum wage, go compete with college kids and you might be given a job.
Esteemed colleague: once I pull the plug, I have no intention of ever again doing anything other than what I want to do with my time. "What I want to do" does not intersect with "Paid or 'volunteer' job".

Paid job? Praise Jay-zus, I have finally mastered the art of uttering "guidance" upon which others "execute". That, there, is corporate-speak. A "retirement job" would entail increased stress for less pay.
Anybody who has lived through enough sh*t storms has this gut feeling about what will work.

"Volunteer Job"? Man, I can just imagine the shrieking harpies who serve as "volunteer coordinators" for the "status" retirement "volunteer" jobs. I imagine it would be the equivalent of servitude to the shrillest HOA Nazi in the most pretentious HOA development in the highest income HOA community in the country.

I am perfectly happy to imagine myself living in a not-so-stellar Class B RV, put-putting myself and the dawg here and there - walking him and reading for entertainment. I will never again entertain the prospect of being subject to overbearing old women and men who happen to be in a position to issue orders. By the numbers, it appears that I will have that freedom of choice.

How much do you think you need in the bank, anyway, that you are counting up net margins from yet one more task for hire? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 04:47 AM

1,137 posts, read 571,069 times
I am going back to giving free guitar lessons- I have some students lined up this week.
I was originally self-taught, then paid for a couple of years to become better, spent years as a professional musician, then spent $75/hr on lessons from a known studio musician.
Now going back to my love, and passing on the baton to those who have the desire to create beauty out of silence. This will complete my circle of life. As far as money, I don't need it, and also want to weed out students that seriously want to play. Likely (because of the cost), a lot will want to play and the $0/hr prevents excuses from starting. Regardless, few will transcend the first weeks of struggle leaving only those that have the true desire. I will gladly teach those for nothing.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:11 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,073,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Esteemed colleague: once I pull the plug, I have no intention of ever again doing anything other than what I want to do with my time. "What I want to do" does not intersect with "Paid or 'volunteer' job".

Paid job? Praise Jay-zus, I have finally mastered the art of uttering "guidance" upon which others "execute". That, there, is corporate-speak. A "retirement job" would entail increased stress for less pay.
Anybody who has lived through enough sh*t storms has this gut feeling about what will work.

"Volunteer Job"? Man, I can just imagine the shrieking harpies who serve as "volunteer coordinators" for the "status" retirement "volunteer" jobs. I imagine it would be the equivalent of servitude to the shrillest HOA Nazi in the most pretentious HOA development in the highest income HOA community in the country.

I am perfectly happy to imagine myself living in a not-so-stellar Class B RV, put-putting myself and the dawg here and there - walking him and reading for entertainment. I will never again entertain the prospect of being subject to overbearing old women and men who happen to be in a position to issue orders. By the numbers, it appears that I will have that freedom of choice.

How much do you think you need in the bank, anyway, that you are counting up net margins from yet one more task for hire? Just wondering.

So you've never actually looked into it? Just imagined it? I love my volunteer job because I and my fellow volunteers pretty much run the area we work in. There is a paid staff member who supervises us (minimally) but we are expected to know what to do and make decisions on our own. By and large, it works great. I have never heard the supervisor so much as raise their voice to anyone. That doesn't fly in a volunteer setting unless you want to lose your volunteers. You need them, they don't need you (unlike employees who need the money you pay them).

Anyway back to the topic at hand - I sell things online on 3 different venues, things I pick up free or at low cost. Keeps me occupied and brings in some extra money. And keeps life interesting.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:47 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,950,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
So you've never actually looked into it? Just imagined it? I love my volunteer job because I and my fellow volunteers pretty much run the area we work in. There is a paid staff member who supervises us (minimally) but we are expected to know what to do and make decisions on our own. By and large, it works great. I have never heard the supervisor so much as raise their voice to anyone. That doesn't fly in a volunteer setting unless you want to lose your volunteers. You need them, they don't need you (unlike employees who need the money you pay them).

Anyway back to the topic at hand - I sell things online on 3 different venues, things I pick up free or at low cost. Keeps me occupied and brings in some extra money. And keeps life interesting.
My volunteer experiences are limited to doing the treasury work for a PTA for a period when my kids were in school; and doing the scheduling for one or the other of the kids' soccer teams when they were in school. It is difficult to overstate the meddling from those in "coordinator" positions. I will never willingly undertake another volunteer task, unless it is limited to an afternoon or such. For an afternoon, I can act like a bobblehead doll while grinning like an idiot. To each to his own: I am not wired for volunteer positions, in which desired outcomes are a matter of taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement