U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:41 AM

71,563 posts, read 71,730,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
"Silver and Fit: Can’t travel to a fitness facility or prefer working out at home? No problem—enroll in the Silver&Fit Home Fitness Program. This program allows you to choose from more than 15 home fitness kits, which include materials such as DVDs, booklets, and a quick start guide. Some examples of the Home Fitness Program include:

Walking kits
Yoga kits
Chair Pilates kits
Stress management kits
Chair boxing kits
Tai Chi kits
Cardio strength kits
Aquatic exercise kits"
wow , i have no idea what a pilates kits is , but in college i did a lot of pull-outies .... ha ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 10:47 AM

3,436 posts, read 1,532,968 times
I don't know how NM is winter-wise, but when I lived in MN, cross-country skiing was a blast in the coldest weather! You don't have to be any kind of athlete to do it, either. I went to the park where there was a system of paved trails, so the snow was smooth and level. Great, easy exercise and fun, even in 0 degrees. Probably the only thing I miss about winter.

Not a gym person, but I have an elliptical machine and can watch movies or a Spanish lesson while doing it.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:00 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,670 times
UHC/AARP has discontinued the Silver Sneakers program in Arizona. I found it really useful for winter swimming at a good club. To me it was a very significant benefit of that Medicare supplement (Plan F not an Advantage plan) and I probably wouldn't choose them now without it. But I'm worried about changing plans now.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:12 PM

568 posts, read 248,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
UHC/AARP has discontinued the Silver Sneakers program in Arizona. I found it really useful for winter swimming at a good club. To me it was a very significant benefit of that Medicare supplement (Plan F not an Advantage plan) and I probably wouldn't choose them now without it. But I'm worried about changing plans now.
They are slowly doing away with that benefit on a state by state basis. It was a significant benefit. Guess profit will always come before offering a benefit to subscribers enrolled.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:56 PM

11,443 posts, read 8,437,960 times
Mine in Houston pays for a local fitness gym, full of unemployed hard bodies, and the Y. We picked the Y. But some ladies hold on to the machines while talking with friends, while the rest of us just stand, stare and wait. I suspect how your local runs things will be the deciding factor. We just walk the mall in bad weather.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:16 PM

6,620 posts, read 3,748,154 times
Some gyms offer special rates for seniors. My local gym charges $25/mo for people 65 and over. Also, if you stream and have a Roku, there are exercise channels/apps, for free or some subscription, for all different sorts of exercising (yoga, pilates, whatever). You can also pick up used exercise DVDs from Amazon or Ebay. If you can walk distances with your hip, walking is one of the best exercises available, and it's free. You can walk your neighborhood every day. It lowers bp, cholesterol, relieves stress. (Don't forget the "Halt!" or pepper spray, for the occasional stray dog.) There is home equipment you could get. Also, the Total Gym might be a thing to consider, since it started as a pilates thing, which arose from rehab equipment for athletes & others recovering from injuries. You can exercise & get strong w/o using your back or other injured parts of the body. Even just plain old resistance floor exercises provide a good workout, if you do the right ones. Lots of choices.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:32 PM

9,377 posts, read 6,261,047 times
AARP is dropping Silver Sneakers this coming year.

Of any group, why the Hell would AARP/UNC cancel it. Their members need it the most

Old 11-03-2018, 01:37 AM

i dislike anything aarp represents

Old 11-03-2018, 01:51 AM

19,838 posts, read 18,855,957 times
I've had Silver Sneakers through Blue Cross for a few years but I stupidly ignored it until someone told me how great it is. So I found a gym around here called LA Fitness. Not really my kind of place but they do have an indoor pool.

I went to the pool twice but then I got sick for a month. I want to go back. Now it's time to renew my Medicare and I really hope my new plan will include Silver Sneakers. Membership at LA Fitness is FREE!

Old 11-03-2018, 02:14 AM

humana advantage plans and supplements seem to have the program .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or