U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 AM

6,521 posts, read 2,355,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
When I was a kid and my mom and I would be out and drive past a cemetery I would say,

"How many dead people are in that cemetery?"

Her comeback: "All of them!"

Then we'd laugh and snicker.

Me and my mom, riding in the car, having a laugh.

She said she and her dad did that when she was little so we kept up the tradition.

This reminds me of something my mom and dad would do when we'd go on long road trips, from Missouri to Oklahoma, and then back again. Most of the trip is along Highway 44. A lot of Hwy 44 goes through rocky areas. Some areas have signs that say "Watch for falling rocks". My dad would ALWAYS say, "Keep an eye out for Chief Falling Rocks." It wasn't all that funny. LOL Just a fond memory of my dad.

Another thing my parents would say, as we're driving down the highway..."The trees are getting closer". Always in an ominous tone. (In stretches of the highway, evergreens that look like Christmas trees pop up on the sides of the road. All various sizes of growth. So, the 'joke' was that the trees were going to take over the world.

Sounds lame writing it out, but it makes me smile, remembering my dad's lame dad jokes. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 AM

959 posts, read 546,130 times
Quote:
One that comes to mind for me was my mom explaining how it was that she knew when I did something "bad":

"I've got eyes in the back of my head.", she'd say.

Guess when I was 6 or 7 I actually believed it and tried one day to part her hair and inspect her head while she was napping on the couch! I found no second set of eyes but I could never figure out how she knew stuff.

Another was that putting egg shells in the garbage disposal sharpened the blades. Thought of that one this morning and got the idea for this thread.

I believed that ridiculousness too, haha. Good times.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:52 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,824,910 times
Quote:
Things your parents told you as a kid that you believed at the time
Religion.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:44 PM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
There was a small industrial area in town, mostly weaving or embroidery factories (when I got older I learned one made the special "Our Own" Girl Scout badges for our town.)

One of the companies was a low, single-story building and had iron grates on the windows. My father and older siblings told me it was because they had monkeys working in there.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:22 AM

22 posts, read 5,000 times
I heard a lot of stories from them about fairies and giants and how they snatch a child who go alone outside of there home in dark, which i believed for a long time in my childhood.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:37 PM

15,158 posts, read 13,415,358 times
My dad told us that the boogeyman lived behind the furnace.

You had to go past the furnace to get to Dad's work bench and tools.......which explains his reasoning.....what better way to keep the kids away from his stuff?

.........and it worked for years!

Old 11-08-2018, 05:30 PM

24,963 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
In my house, it was children in China.
Yes, that was after Europe. My eldest brother got Europe. I got China. Despite her threats, my mother never sent my peas to China.

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode about people, aliens, who had eyes in the back of their head?

My apologies to anyone who has mentioned this. I haven't read the thread.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:55 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, that was after Europe. My eldest brother got Europe. I got China. Despite her threats, my mother never sent my peas to China.

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode about people, aliens, who had eyes in the back of their head?

My apologies to anyone who has mentioned this. I haven't read the thread.
I hate peas. At least canned peas. I can tolerate frozen peas, but not too often.

The third time i threw up eating peas right all over the dinner table, my mother got the hint: peas and i Dont get along!!!

My lima beans never got sent to the "starving people all over the world"...either. i said ",if they love them so much give them to them. You always taught me to share"....

Harumph.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I hate peas. At least canned peas. I can tolerate frozen peas, but not too often.

The third time i threw up eating peas right all over the dinner table, my mother got the hint: peas and i Dont get along!!!

My lima beans never got sent to the "starving people all over the world"...either. i said ",if they love them so much give them to them. You always taught me to share"....

Harumph.

Thankfully, my mother didn't like lima beans.

My much older brother used to tell me that there was a magical, secret library under the drain in the basement floor. I desperately wanted to go down there, but he told me that I was too young. I was too young the next year, too. And the next. When I finally (pretty much) demanded to be taken down there, he said, "I can't believe that you still think that there's a library down there. It's a drain.!

Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This reminds me of something my mom and dad would do when we'd go on long road trips, from Missouri to Oklahoma, and then back again. Most of the trip is along Highway 44. A lot of Hwy 44 goes through rocky areas. Some areas have signs that say "Watch for falling rocks". My dad would ALWAYS say, "Keep an eye out for Chief Falling Rocks." It wasn't all that funny. LOL Just a fond memory of my dad.

Another thing my parents would say, as we're driving down the highway..."The trees are getting closer". Always in an ominous tone. (In stretches of the highway, evergreens that look like Christmas trees pop up on the sides of the road. All various sizes of growth. So, the 'joke' was that the trees were going to take over the world.

Sounds lame writing it out, but it makes me smile, remembering my dad's lame dad jokes. LOL
There are a lot of variations on this story.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comme.../falling_rock/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or