Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 08:22 AM

705 posts, read 562,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
"Get off the phone during a storm! It attracts lightning!"
I was always told it was dangerous to be on the phone too and that one is a fact. Lightning can travel through telephone lines and people have died from it.

The danger may be small, but absent an emergency, a thunderstorm is not a good time to chat with your best friend on the telephone. Cell phones are safe as long as they aren't plugged into an outlet.

My mother had an Aunt that was killed when she walked to the screen door to look out, lightning struck her.

I also remember being told to clean my plate because there were starving children that would love to have my supper. It didn't go over well when I offered to send my Brussels Sprouts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 08:28 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It didn't fool me for very long but during scary thunder storms, my dad would say that it was just people up in heaven, bowling. Oh sure, LOL.

LOL...that's the exact thing I told my son when he was about three.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:41 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
My mother told me not to stare at mannequins or they would slap me. What was that about?
ROFLMAO. I wish I'd thought of that one when my daughter was little. Your mom sounds like she was fun.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:14 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
One that comes to mind for me was my mom explaining how it was that she knew when I did something "bad":

"I've got eyes in the back of my head.", she'd say.

Guess when I was 6 or 7 I actually believed it and tried one day to part her hair and inspect her head while she was napping on the couch! I found no second set of eyes but I could never figure out how she knew stuff.

Another was that putting egg shells in the garbage disposal sharpened the blades. Thought of that one this morning and got the idea for this thread.
Same here, HDT, but with my mother, it was "A little birdie told me."

Damn birdie

Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I don't remember anything out of the usual things like Santa is watching, so be good. I have these two sister's in my life that lived next to one of the rental properties. They were always over messing up the house and I would have to constantly touch up the walls. One day I made up a story about a man who lives in the closet in one of the bedrooms. I named him Dark Stanley after one of my favorite Simpson's episodes. I told the girls that the previous tenant saw him sitting on her bed. I would tell them that I could hear footsteps walking down the hall, and to ramp it up a notch, John my husband took a picture of me in a Halloween mask and a long coat with a hood coming out of the closet. He doctored the photo and made it look very ghost like. I showed it to the girls and the oldest one said it was done in photo shop. I looked at her with a straight face and shook my head no. It was real. The youngest one was afraid to look, but eventually did. It scared the crap out of them and they stopped running through the house.
We would have fake seances to talk to Dark Stanley and I used a psychic circle board to talk to him. One of the Grandparents of another kid that would come got upset and I told her to come down and see for herself. It was all fake and controlled by me. I would chant some Hindi phrase that was "vote union" and it scared the crap out of them. I swear it was hard to keep from laughing when I did it.

There were lots of positive messages from Dark Stanley, especially to the grandson who was missing his dead beat dad. There were also messages that said that the kids were too loud and Dark Stanley didn't like being disturbed. The kids would tell me that they saw him looking out the window and again, it would be hard for me to keep a straight face.

There's another story about the Indian lights in the park not far from our house. I used to take the girls and dogs for a long walk when they spent the night to burn off some hyper energy, which included another neighbor girl. We would bring a flashlight and go through the park in the woods. It was scary for them, and they believed that the lights were indeed Indian lights. They're teenagers now and one told me that she actually believed that they were there,even at her current age.

Those kids were a constant source of joy and laughter. I don't see them much now. College and teen life takes them away, but I'm looking forward to telling stories to their shorties some day.
We have a 6 year old in our life now and the cycle starts again. She wants me to tell her about Pete the tiny dragon who migrates with the hummingbirds that bit me in the arm because I was picking her green beans out of my garden.

Kids are so much fun. Sometimes you just have to tell them stories to keep them in line.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:22 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
1: burnt toast will make your hair curly.(my mom often burnt the toast and knew I wanted curly hair!)
2: when it rains it's the Virgin mother weeping over our sins.
3: when it snows...the angels are having a pillow fight.
4: when it thunders..the Lord is angry at something we did.
5: find a penny on the ground ..means someone in heaven is thinking of you. (I still believe that one)
6: once overheard my elders say.. your granddad would be rolling over in his grave. I seriously thought ohh dear grand dad rolling anywhere would be creepy!
7: a mean horrid first grade nun told the tale of each person having a guardian angel. Then she looked at my best friend marianne and myself and said...except you two! We seriously thought we were un loved. ..what a way to learn the love of God. .by not being loved...
Years later I recall telling my mom that story...she looked at me...held my hand and said..well that nun got that wrong! How loved you are !

Old 11-03-2018, 09:26 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,209 times
When I was very young we lived in a old house that had a small window up top at the attic. The window was broken. My Father told me and my brother that Bald Eagles lived in the attic and that's how they got in and out.

Our next-door neighbor told us he had Lyons living in the crawlspace of his house. Re: the crawlspace vents.

We believed both.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:33 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
"What is that?", I asked my mom when I saw a condom on the dresser in my parents bedroom. "It's to put on your finger when you get a cut."

Man, she was a fast thinker! I never saw one again until I was much older, so I guess nobody ever got cut!

Old 11-03-2018, 09:56 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
I used to cross my eyes pretty well but mom told me that they would get stuck cross-eyed at some point so I never did that again.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:02 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
That quantum physics would help me with cutting the grass. I think I was in 3rd grade or thereabouts. My parents were physics professors and I was debating the usefulness of understanding physics in everyday life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement