U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 03:50 AM

1,960 posts, read 957,339 times

Advertisements

For a time I thought bad little babies were gathered up and sent to a factory that made baby oil and baby powder out of them.

Last edited by BobCaldwell; 11-04-2018 at 04:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 04:14 AM

5,536 posts, read 5,904,077 times
My mom either was trying to be nice or just really didn't understand how guys bodies work, which is possible, because she would say things like, "You'll fill out when you're older," even when I was 17 or 18 and extremely scrawny. Guys don't "fill out" ever without working out. You need to hit the gym and build muscle if you want to look like a man instead of a little boy. I know tons of guys who are 30s and 40s and so scrawny they almost look like teenage boys still except from the face you can see they can't possibly be that young. I always wished she had just told me, or someone had told me, before I was 18, "Yeah dude, you wanna start looking like a man, and bulk up, you need to hit the weights!" I did figure it out at 19, and went from there, but sheesh she just acted like it was something that happened and I actually kinda believed that!

I also think it was always "assumed" that "everyone has kids," and I didn't figure it was worth giving much thought to when I was younger, even though I couldn't figure out why I'd want that. Finally I got to 18 or 19 and realized, no, that's not just something "people do," it's a choice like anything else and not one I was interested in making. But I never argued much at 14 or 15, when I heard, "You'll understand when you have kids one day" or something like that.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:35 AM

245 posts, read 78,824 times
You can be anything you want to be if you put your mind to it!

No. You need aptitude and a heck of a lot of luck to get places in life. If you have an awkward personality, don't have aptitude for something, or don't connect with the right people, effort won't matter.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:13 AM

13,092 posts, read 13,685,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
This is kind of tasteless and not genteel, but I remember my Mom telling me when I was a freshman or sophomore at university that "give a man milk for free, and he won't want to buy the cow." LOL !!

Saying something like that was very unlike her. And actually I never believed it.
And a few years later I heard "why bring the whole pig home just for that little itty bitty piece of sausage." Which yeah was kinda sorta true in some cases.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-04-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 09:31 AM

Not from my family but there was a woman at work who noticed her little boy on the sly would eat spoonfuls of plain sugar right out of the sugar bowl. She told him if he kept doing that it would make his feet fall off and then he couldn't run or play or do any sports.

This caused him to cry hysterically for hours and he had nightmares for weeks. She was kind of a mean person anyway and could not see any problem with what she told him. And it didn't bother her how upset he got. She was telling it as a "funny story" at work and couldn't understand why people didn't think it was funny.

She got defensive and said diabetes runs in her family that's why she wanted to scare him.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:40 AM

We heard that lightning coming through the telephone earpiece. And i was surprised as an adult in my 50s to be told at work by our IT guys not to use the desk phones during a thunderstorm because we could get electrical shock. So yeah there's something to that.

I lived at that time in the state with the highest rate of deaths by lightning strike. So we took lightning safety seriously

Old 11-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
That quantum physics would help me with cutting the grass. I think I was in 3rd grade or thereabouts. My parents were physics professors and I was debating the usefulness of understanding physics in everyday life.
That's a great story!
I always wanted parents who would talk to me about school stuff and they didn't. I remember a couple came over who were friends of my parents and they were both university professors and the mom in that couple would go on walks in the woods with me and give me hard problems to solve and ask me to solve logic brain teasers. It was one of the best days I remember as a little kid. I wanted to go live with them. I couldn't think of anything better than having parents like that.

At the end of their visit she gave me a dime be cause all her puzzles and problems she gave me started with "bet you can't solve this one" like a fun game. Anyway I got in trouble with my parents when they found out for taking money (one dime, as in 10 cents) from their visitors and told never to embarrass them like that again.

My favorite presents as a little kid were books of brain teasers and logic problems and challenging math word problems .

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-04-2018 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 11:12 AM

1,629 posts, read 559,576 times
My mother believed that all Russians hated us and her "proof" was that "Krushchev said 'We will bury your grandchildren'". That was the only thing about politics she knew, other than that Eisenhower was a great president because "he won the war for us." She practically worshipped Eisenhower.

I totally believed her about Eisenhower but not about the Russians. It didn't make sense to me that some little girl my age in Russia would hate me for no reason except that some grownup on tv said to. I felt that 11-year-old Russian girls must be concerned about the same things I was: school and friends and clothes and boys and dealing with parents. I made the mistake of telling my mom one day that I wished I had a Russian pen pal and she was horrified at the very idea. I thought it'd be so interesting but she was convinced they were all evil.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:47 PM

6,777 posts, read 10,173,498 times
My father grew up in a small town in southern Italy. He told me that werewolves were real and there were a few people in his hometown that turned into them. He said that he and his friends would go near their houses when it was a full moon and look through the window and see them change. He also said that one chased my uncle and the only way he was able to get away was to run up the church steps because werewolves can't climb steps.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:41 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,431,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
That quantum physics would help me with cutting the grass.
Wait. It doesn't???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or