U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 07:45 AM

5,769 posts, read 4,827,803 times

Advertisements

I couldn't even guess what he's talking about. If you can state your name and address and produce your ID, law enforcement isn't going to cart you off 51-50 to the old folks home.

What in the world did he put on his cornflakes this morning???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 08:27 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I couldn't even guess what he's talking about. If you can state your name and address and produce your ID, law enforcement isn't going to cart you off 51-50 to the old folks home.

What in the world did he put on his cornflakes this morning???

You have to remember he's living in the Philippines. It's a little different over there.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
I think it is a choice. You can choose to be paralyzed by fear... Or not. Bad things happen to good people all the time. But I see no benefit in hiding in the basement shaking in fear! I continue to do as I wish. If I had a legitimate fear of dogs or people I might encounter I might carry some mace or pepper spray. But I am usually walking my big male Doberman or Weimaraner(on a leash) so I am seldom bothered. I live in a very urban area and over the years I have found the people who scare me at first are likely to be out for a walk just like me. They probably see me as a threat!

You can get waxed going out to check the mail. And I would still prefer to die in a parachuting accident than in a nursing home!

Old 11-08-2018, 11:35 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,341,203 times
I am wondering where all of these fearful people live. Maybe I have always been lucky enough to live in "safe" areas. I have never been afraid to walk around my own neighborhood or on a walking path or trail through a wooded area. Granted, I have never lived in a wilderness area so never had to watch for wild animals. And I never lived in the "bad neighborhood" of a big city. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I am clueless as to the dangers.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:01 PM

9,570 posts, read 10,914,867 times
It's often helpful to see what else an OP has posted, particularly threads that he has begun.

1) The OP states on his profile page under pets: "any stray animal is my friend" (sic.). This thread shows the opposite.

2) The OP previously started a thread ostensibly seeking a "dog-free" apartment, but he attacked both dogs and dog owners.

dog-free apartments in Amarillo?

3) The OP started and was the only poster (three posts) about finding the strongest marijuana. He stated his interest is in treating pediatric disease.

Cannabis CBD/THC ratios

4) A high percentage of his posts involve marijuana use. This may explain his thinking.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:25 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The greatest danger to the elderly unaccompanied may be authorities. The mere appearance of "doddering" could lead to a series of events ending with involuntary institutionalization.

With all the talk these days about people fearing people, authorites are the people with the most unchallenged power to destroy your simple and innocent and peaceful life.

Always have a cogent story to tell the police explaining your whereabouts. They do not understand the concept of freedom and leisure.
Huh? I "dodder" all the time. Since when is there a law against that?

Old 11-08-2018, 06:54 PM

19,832 posts, read 18,839,234 times
The biggest danger around here would be falling on the ice and breaking your hip or something. And no one would know. The places we walk the dog are along a river or in the state forest. Both of us are prone to forgetting to take our phones and the phone might not work in the forest anyway.

Yesterday dh was walking the dog and the dog saw a rabbit. Something like that can pull you right off your feet, especially on ice and snow, if you aren't careful. The dog goes zooooooooooom and you go crash. I was thinking about Lifeline or something. Especially for dh because he likes to to walk the dog late at night. I told him if the dog came home without him, I'd call the police and we'd just assume he was down by the river, lying on the ground! Probably not that bad if you have someone else waiting for you at home but very scary for someone living by themselves because no one would ever know.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 AM

496 posts, read 703,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It's often helpful to see what else an OP has posted, particularly threads that he has begun.

1) The OP states on his profile page under pets: "any stray animal is my friend" (sic.). This thread shows the opposite.

2) The OP previously started a thread ostensibly seeking a "dog-free" apartment, but he attacked both dogs and dog owners.

dog-free apartments in Amarillo?

3) The OP started and was the only poster (three posts) about finding the strongest marijuana. He stated his interest is in treating pediatric disease.

Cannabis CBD/THC ratios

4) A high percentage of his posts involve marijuana use. This may explain his thinking.
My compliments on your research. Thanks for reading my posts. I don't know what I was thinking about when I posted the profile. Must have been before my more recent dog/owner encounters. I just saw a stray German Shepherd while walking the mall perimeter, similar to the rabid one that attacked me as a kid. I was careful to watch its behavior, but didn't pull any weapons as it trotted away. It was a handsome animal. Most dogs seem merely friendly and curious - until they're not. The well-trained ones seem to be rare, though.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:46 PM

11,931 posts, read 20,379,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
I appreciate the reponses and ideas - especially the attitude of defiance w/sensible caution.
I have thought through most of the likely scenarios involving self-defense weapons and tried some of them - pepper spray, golf club, air horn, cell phone, even knives. When I go out,
I try to go prepared, including being mentally prepared to defend myself tooth and nail against any real threats. If I were hiking in the wild, a firearm would be a natural precaution. It may become necessary even in an urban environment, constrained by all the legalities.

I am investigating various alternative environments to reduce the likelihood of threats - morning walks around the mall parking perimeter, college campus, tree-lined boulevards in wealthy country club neighborhoods. A nine-hole stroll around the golf course would not cost much, while dodging the youngsters whizzing around in golf carts. It is unlikely that our political officials will create "safe park" areas for us, banning dogs and fast bicycles.

I'm probably over-thinking it. I could just load the pockets with gadgets and go out anywhere I please. Deal with whatever comes.
More than anything? Find a buddy to go with. A few times a year, someone hiking alone disappears. Doesn’t matter the age, accidents happen, and someone with you can save your life.

If not a buddy, a call/text system. Tell someone where you’re going, if it’s a complex route, the route you’re taking, how long you expect to be, and text before you go and when you get back. If the person doesn’t get a text, they can call for help, and give them a starting point to start searching.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:56 PM

13,880 posts, read 7,391,112 times
My outdoor safety is that I wear a helmet skiing and on the bicycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or