U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,452,062 times

Advertisements

Every few years I completely redefined myself work-wise, building new departments from the ground up. For me, it was always "please stay on; don't retire" both from my employees and from board members and executive officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 03:11 PM

206 posts, read 75,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, maybe the thing that needs a change is your attitude about staying in the job. Instead of making yourself miserable by viewing it as "a dead end", boring, unsatisfying, or bemoaning the past, switch to the short term view. The paycheck continues to pay the bills, continues to provide some benefits (access to group health insurance, puts some money into your pension instead of taking it out, or whatever), and is still better than quitting and having to find another position somewhere. It is still better than nothing or a kick in the head by an angry mule. Take what you can get out of it and drop the rest.
Thank you! Makes the most sense. You are right, it pays the bills, my pension gets bigger and I have health insurance. Could be worse. I long ago decided this was my last job. See another thread about working in a fast food place after retirement. For me, no way. I'll hang on where I am and continue to build that retirement fund. And I do have a defined benefit pension. How many of those are left?

Old 11-06-2018, 05:16 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,075,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Every few years I completely redefined myself work-wise, building new departments from the ground up. For me, it was always "please stay on; don't retire" both from my employees and from board members and executive officers.
We are so glad you retired and can post more on this forum.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:10 PM

23,613 posts, read 17,598,460 times
I've seen it happen to many people. Working in IT, you need to be in management by no later than 40, and probably a director by no later than 50, to have a shot at hanging on. Those ages probably go down for true tech companies in the coastal markets.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:25 PM

221 posts, read 116,291 times
Operating a college mailroom the responsibilities quickly diminished every year. Corporate account and bulk mailing accounts were cancelled. Manual chores were assigned which were functions of another department. Informed during annual performance review this was necessary to continue a 40 hour workweek, disagreeing would result in having benefits (medical) eliminated.

Asked for suggestions to provide services I could possibly render relative to my position, each were turned down. Claim was these could have a negative impact on someone in the Bookstore or Business Office should anyone ever venture toward doing this so-called busy work. Receipt of mail for the decade of my employment went from 60-70 tubs daily to barely 20. When it was time to exit the escape plan offered no (resignation) notice. This was my middle finger to an organization who took advantage of a senior who was physically fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or