Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 04:47 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,216,649 times

Advertisements

My job in natural resources was always fun and rewarding. I loved helping kids learn how to fish and educating them about the natural environment. What I hated was how political it got toward the end. I just wanted to raise fish and work at a beautiful hatchery that was as much park as it was a place to raise fish. After 31 years on the job I was sad to let it go, but realized that it was taking a toll on me. I was about 50 lbs over weight and my stress level was getting higher, mostly due to things out of my control.

I still keep in contact with the people I worked with and even volunteer from time to time. When it rains really hard, I sometimes wake up expecting alarms to go off, then I remember I'm retired and roll over and go back to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 04:52 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,058,661 times
I could have retired in May but I decided to keep working for a bit longer. I suspect HR has told managers that they can’t broach the subject with us oldies....so I brought it up and asked how much notice he wants,

Six months.

Yeah...ok....we’ll see. Lol

Old 11-04-2018, 06:25 PM

4,138 posts, read 3,042,421 times
No. In fact, the last 5 years of my career were the best. So why did I retire? I had long since reached the point where my retirement pay was greater than my take home pay (I was heavily into deferred compensation and Roth IRA). I had a defined benefits pension, so I did not need to spend down my investments. And I wanted to earn the additional Medicare credits I needed (I did not pay into Medicare). This was a hedge in case OPERS decided not to pay Medicare A for us grandfathered employees. I needed to do this prior to reaching 65, which I accomplished this year.

There was also the thought that my job could hit another rough patch with good supervisors and fellow employees being replaced by people who would make my life difficult. As a laboratory technician, the amount of quality control required was always increasing. The thought of spending my entire day doing lab work, with no time to do anything else, did not appeal to me. I wanted to leave on a high note, which I did.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:00 PM

515 posts, read 359,822 times
I'm 60. The company has cut benefits and pension. No raises in years for anybody. So some fantasy that learning new skills will solve things is not in the ballpark. My job is easy but boring now. I guess I was wondering how people handled a dead end job at the end of a career. I am hanging on for now, but a layoff or bailing out at 62 is looking most likely. I think the place I work is so mismanaged they have forgotten older workers and just wait for them to retire. Which is not a bad thing sometimes.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:07 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
My wife and I were just talking about this topic earlier this weekend. We both feel busier and more stressed at work than at any time in the preceding decades.

My manager is Retired In Place, cruising toward his retirement in 15 months. His boss is a clueless buffoon with no understanding of how to manage people, nor of the work we are being asked to perform.

Too many of my wife's coworkers are 45 year old narcissistic 'mean girls' with the emotional maturity of Middle Schoolers.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:53 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I worked in state government and the workload never decreased - always increased - but it changed in peculiar ways depending who won the last election and whether or not the politicians left you alone or wanted to manipulate outcomes. The election cycle meant that you usually had four years to look forward to, sometime that turned into eight, with whatever the official line turned out to be. Things are getting stranger every year and this started back in the 1990s. Reality was more important some years than others...and then the next administration might have their own agenda that needed to spin things...usually to show how awful the previous guys were. I left when things were clearly going off the rails and I could no longer justify cooking numbers to match the decisions already made.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:04 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,068,752 times
Nope, I was in a large corporation and the job got more and more demanding until I was putting in close to 60 hour work weeks. I had no quality of life. I could rarely take time off because there was no one to cover my projects. I hated my job with a passion for years, sad to say. Eventually I got so worn down that I felt resignation was the only option. I wouldn't call it "retirement" like others who get a big fat pension and happily skip out the door with a going away party. That didn't happen.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:26 AM

290 posts, read 249,728 times
No, for the last 5 years my job keeps getting better. I got an offer to join the company's research unit, and have been working with more and more interesting stuff. I'm getting to write software for autonomous vehicles, a (sorta) introduction to artificial intelligence, and getting to play with some of the coolest tech ever. I work with people who are mostly younger than my kids, but they seem to like me and invite me to join more projects. The company forces us to sit thru the annual kum-ba-yah PC horse**** like all do, but my coworkers are extremely smart and competent, so I don't have to tiptoe on eggshells around them (They can take a joke, and give one too).

Work has never been this much fun, and nor this well paid. I wish it had always been like this. I'm turning 62 soon and my FA says I'm "there" (as far as retirement income). But I'm enjoying myself, the missus has a few years to go before she's "there" so I might as well add some more to the funds. I will say it's remarkably relaxing to know I don't have to work and can say farewell any time.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:16 AM

515 posts, read 359,822 times
Default Analog to digital

Just for background, when I started over 20 years ago we had all kinds of analog hardware. I spent a bunch of time just fixing that. Also, we had a monster PBX phone system that was a huge pain. Programming it was a DOS based nightmare, and the hardware would break down and that would have to be fixed or replaced. Tracing down wires and fixing old issues took hours and days. Fast forward to today. All the analog stuff is gone, everything is digital. It hardly ever breaks, and when it does it is either operator error or just a loose cable. As for the PBX, it was thrown in the scrap heap and we bought a Mitel VOIP. It's great. It is so stable, it almost never has any problems and I administer it right off the desktop. We used to bill long distance with a software program. But long distance is now about 3 cents a minute and the business office said it was not worth messing with. Now, we just let people dial anywhere in the continental US and don't even track it. The Mitel guys even told me it would be far less work than the old system but don't tell anybody in the company that. They were right. I can do about anything in minutes. So where before I was the company trouble shooter now I sit in my office waiting for trouble that hardly comes anymore. Other areas have changed as well. With Facebook, Wordpress, and iphones offices now have power they never had before. They do many things themselves and don't need support for those things either. It is a strange way to end my working life. At some point either I will put myself out to pasture or they will. Interesting hearing experiences by other people.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:58 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,200 times
Mine stayed constant from start to finish of my 25 year career. Never a lack of criminals. Many repeat offenders lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement