U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:34 AM

6,313 posts, read 5,053,602 times

Advertisements

Just throw it away and don't even think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:21 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
When I lived in an apartment, easily 3/4 of my mail was junk. I shredded most of it, and the clippings went into the recycling.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:08 AM

13,902 posts, read 7,400,560 times
I made that catastrophic mistake 3 1/2 years ago when I moved my mother to assisted living. I forwarded her mail to one of my addresses. My mailbox would fill with junk mail after a few days if I wasn't around to empty it.

What you need to do is permanently forward that mail to a PO box. That should get rid of most of it. After a year, let the PO box expire.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
We joke about our junk mail and then pitch it out unopened. Lately, we've gotten at least 6-12 cruise brochures weekly along with another dozen political pieces.

It's much easier to solve the junk mail problem than the constant robo calls (probably 5-6 per day). I've tried to ask them to take me off their call list, to no avail. Most of the time I don't even bother to answer when the caller ID shows a city and state, rather than an individual. The 'Do Not Call' lists do not seem to work and our phone/cable company (Cox) doesn't seem to have the robo call blocker available in many areas.

At least with junk mail, one doesn't have to engage with the sender. We'll probably just have the landline disconnected, but, it seems we are also getting calls on the cell phones.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:04 AM

5,234 posts, read 8,402,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We joke about our junk mail and then pitch it out unopened. Lately, we've gotten at least 6-12 cruise brochures weekly along with another dozen political pieces.

It's much easier to solve the junk mail problem than the constant robo calls (probably 5-6 per day). I've tried to ask them to take me off their call list, to no avail. Most of the time I don't even bother to answer when the caller ID shows a city and state, rather than an individual. The 'Do Not Call' lists do not seem to work and our phone/cable company (Cox) doesn't seem to have the robo call blocker available in many areas.

At least with junk mail, one doesn't have to engage with the sender. We'll probably just have the landline disconnected, but, it seems we are also getting calls on the cell phones.
Check out , and sign up for, NoMoRoBo's service. It's free for Internet- based (VoIP) landlines; fee for iPhones and Androids

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...orobo-Landline

It blocks 4-5 calls per day for us.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:11 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,932,096 times
I return all the junk they sent me back to the company in the prepaid envelope. It doesn't work, but at least they have to pay for the return mail.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:41 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
When my Grandma died she was still receiving mail for my Grandfather who had died 30 years earlier. My H died in 2012 and he gets more mail than I do. It never stops!

Old 11-05-2018, 12:26 PM

563 posts, read 266,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My FIL passed away in January 2017. We still receive his mail forwarded to us.
Some of what we get may have come from him. We have cancelled subscriptions, entered info into DMA lists not to contact.

We ourselves just started getting realtor info for Seniors, funeral home info, stuff like that.

How do we get off these lists?

Online it is easy - I just hit unsubscribe and it works.
When my neighbors dad died and she kept getting mail for him. She stopped 99.9% of it. I put the link below for help in stopping some of it, I remember her telling me about it and I saved the link.

She also went to the Post Office and told them she wanted his mail stopped because he was deceased. She may have filled something out, can't remember.

Then she also taped a little note in her mailbox that said ____ _____ is deceased and we don't accept his mail. She said it's pretty much stopped with only someone when they have a sub mailman. She also told me IF she does get any mail for him now she puts a note next to his name saying, not at this address, forward to Heaven.

How To Get Off A Mailing List - Consumer Assistance

Old 11-05-2018, 03:15 PM

2,867 posts, read 6,406,924 times
Believe it or not I have had good luck with this:
https://dmachoice.thedma.org

I travel full time in an RV and use a mail forwarding service so I pay extra (because of size/weight) for every piece of mail so junk mail cancellation is essential.

My late parents both lived with us so we were getting their mail also.

Other tips:

Catalogs and other junk mail that has a website-write to their customer service with the numbers from the label and ask for removal. This has worked nearly 100%.

Obscure subscriptions with no email contact I have clipped the label and attached a letter requesting cancellation and sent via USPS.

Charities and other first class mail-write "Return to sender" with a Sharpie. Add "deceased" if appropriate. Cross out your address and any barcode to prevent redelivery to your home. If it came with a stamped return envelope I have detached the donation stub (since it has the account number) and marked "remove me from your list" and mailed it back.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:33 PM

7,122 posts, read 2,921,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
If it's a solicitation that comes in an envelope, I take the part with my name and address on it and write next to it, "Please remove me from your mailing list. Thank you." and mail it back to them. Sometimes they give a postage-paid return envelope; other times I need to use a stamp. If it's a catalogue, I call the (800) number for Orders, and ask the rep to please remove me from their mailing list. I do the same with the occasional credit card offer. They have always been polite and the mailings have trickled down to almost nothing.
When I got something addressed to my dad for the first time from a mailer I would return it politely informing them he had passed away. If I continued to get mail from that source I might call using THEIR toll-free number or postage free envelope, unsubscribe online, or use whatever choices were available. Next was to simply refuse the mailing and return it unopened. Very good tip about blacking out the bar code and address....the PO may just re-deliver it to you. If the mailings continued I was no longer nice. If there were lots of mailings I collected them and sent them back postage due or COD. It apparently does no good to talk to anyone. I do not expect anyone to bother to remove the address from anything.

My dad died in 2013 but I STILL get stuff addressed to him. He never even lived in this state or at any of my addresses. I assume the mailer got my address because his estate's address was mine for probate. Despite the fact that I have since moved twice, stuff still attempts to reach this person who no longer exists at my address. The worst are non-profits, politician re-election campaigns, and their political scaremongering bulletins. All vestiges of courtesy gets dropped. I will call the politician directly or their organization on their dime every single day and warn them I'll continue to waste their time and their phone budget until they get the hint. Probably useless but at least I get to vent my spleen at someone on a regular basis.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-05-2018 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement