U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:34 PM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times

Advertisements

I get mail for the family that moved out of my house in 2003...plus the two families that lived here after them. I get mail and sometimes packages for the people who live one block over. I've started getting mail for addresses I don't recognize at all. My post office does not respond effectively to any complaints and has a string of excuses. Most of the mail is trashed but I do take the mail/packages one block over when I get their mail and they do the same. I just wonder where my other mail is going. I found an online link to file complaints to the post office administration (not the local idiots) and after I complained I'm getting marginally better mail delivery. Some of the misdelivered mail I throw away looks important but the post office doesn't make any attempt to redeliver it if I put it out with a note attached that the family has moved. The poundage of junk mail I get must be close to 100 pounds a year. If you donate to a charity...God help you.

The post office explained that I have a regular mail deliverer only on Wednesday -- every other day the mail is delivered by a fill-in who has a different daily route but has to deliver on my route one day a week. That makes no sense to me -- essentially we don't have a mail deliverer because our "regular" deliverer only delivers one day a week -- how can he be our regular guy? Delivery is only part of the problem...what imbecile is doing the mail sorting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 04:42 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,067,677 times
When I get a couple of credit card offers in the mail and there is usually a return envelope, I take the contents from the envelopes minus my name and address and put them in the other companies return envelope and throw it in the mailbox. At least they can see what the competition is offering

Old 11-06-2018, 01:55 AM

8,974 posts, read 8,093,468 times
Our daughter died 4 years this last Memorial day. We get mail in her name at our address. I always open it unless it is an obvious advertisement. Every so often we get a pleasant surprise. Just last week a electric co-op she got her electricity through, sent a notice she had $697 in her membership, and it is now our money. Over the first 2 years we found due to annual notices she had 2 4o1K accounts with old employers, a couple of bank accounts out of state we did not know existed, plus some stock, altogether over $85,000 in cash just setting there. We kind of like to get those surprises. As I said one came just last week.

Our daughter was single long divorced,no children. High paid IT manager, had reached $200K+. Not a big spender, or party person. Each year as the year end notices go out we have gotten notices with money involved. It has taken time for some holding money, to get her mail at our address in their records. We just got the one notice, and will not be surprised if we get some more.

I throw away the junk , and use the good ones to our advantage. I am not about to find some way to get the important ones stopped, even if I have to sort out the junk.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:10 AM

210 posts, read 73,099 times
My first wife died 19 years ago. Even though I have moved three times since then, about 3-4 times a year, I get a catalog addressed to her. Goes straight to the trash with the boxholder crap.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:22 AM

8,760 posts, read 10,829,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Check out , and sign up for, NoMoRoBo's service. It's free for Internet- based (VoIP) landlines; fee for iPhones and Androids

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...orobo-Landline

It blocks 4-5 calls per day for us.

Thanks! - I actually did that about a year ago, but, find that Cox (our TV/internet/phone carrier) did NOT support this service. Maybe things have changed (?)

I just went back and checked with Cox again -- Hooray!! They now have the Nomorobo service support -- I wish I had known this before the start of the mid-term season! - Thanks Again!

Last edited by jghorton; 11-09-2018 at 10:01 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
When I lived in an apartment, easily 3/4 of my mail was junk. I shredded most of it, and the clippings went into the recycling.
But why bother to shred junk mail? I wouldn't waste the sharpness of my blades on something that wasn't confidential, especially heavy paper/cardstock.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:41 AM

13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
I throw all my junk to my worm bins. No more shredding, cutting out names, etc... worms won’t call. Good way to simplify my life.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:33 PM

11,079 posts, read 12,458,603 times
Junk mail goes in the trash (we don't have recycling here). I'm in a rental so I get mail for prior tenants all the time. I cross their names out and write return not at this address. Once I got the same letter the next day I had written that on.

Now I just throw them away.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:36 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,338,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I throw all my junk to my worm bins. No more shredding, cutting out names, etc... worms won’t call. Good way to simplify my life.
Worm bins?

Old 11-09-2018, 11:45 PM

13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Worm bins?
Yes for recycling vegetable waste. They make wonderful compost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement