U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 12:39 PM

5,170 posts, read 8,693,102 times

Advertisements

My FIL passed away in January 2017. We still receive his mail forwarded to us.
Some of what we get may have come from him. We have cancelled subscriptions, entered info into DMA lists not to contact.

We ourselves just started getting realtor info for Seniors, funeral home info, stuff like that.

How do we get off these lists?

Online it is easy - I just hit unsubscribe and it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 01:11 PM

2,623 posts, read 2,577,240 times
You don't get off the lists. My parents died in 2011 and 2013, and I still receive mail addressed to them. Mailers buy mail forwarding lists and never stop using them.

I've posted this before but it's worth a repeat. When someone dies and you are paying bills for the estate, rent a p.o. box and have everything sent there. When the estate is closed and the bills paid, close the p.o. box and leave no forwarding address.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:01 PM

133 posts, read 60,107 times
If it's a solicitation that comes in an envelope, I take the part with my name and address on it and write next to it, "Please remove me from your mailing list. Thank you." and mail it back to them. Sometimes they give a postage-paid return envelope; other times I need to use a stamp. If it's a catalogue, I call the (800) number for Orders, and ask the rep to please remove me from their mailing list. I do the same with the occasional credit card offer. They have always been polite and the mailings have trickled down to almost nothing.

Of course, if you subscribe to a new magazine, you will start getting new pieces of marketing mail as your name is sold again... so the cycle starts again.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:47 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,597,382 times
It goes on forever. My DH was the executor for his uncle and his fatherís estate. The best result was the Salvation Army actually acknowledge and sent a condolence on the death. Then there were the Virginia Republicans who started soliciting even though the man had lived his whole life in MA but we were in VA. Tried sending back notices. The Washington Post sent a survey wanting to know why his uncle hadnít renewed. Sent it back with the eason given was ďIím deadĒ. I think that one worked.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:59 PM

14,028 posts, read 20,343,555 times
It tends to end at year 15. Based upon my experience.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:51 AM

39,503 posts, read 2,978,735 times
I throw them straight into the recycle bin, it is the easiest thing to do.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:10 AM

2,089 posts, read 712,911 times
I agree that you need to contact the individual businesses. I've heard (from late DH, who was in advertising) that the State Motor Vehicles Department sells mailing lists and of course they have your age. I did notice that when we downsized and moved from an upscale, shop-till-you-drop suburb to one with more blue-collar demographics, we got far fewer mailings for hearing aids, "free" dinners and other products and services aimed at a wealthier group.

And yes, they do go on forever. I finally had to send a reply back to AAA because they kept offering life insurance to DH after he died ("You cannot be turned down!") and to the local retirement community, which recently invited him to a "Gentlemen's Beer Tasting" so he could check the place out.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:20 AM

10,322 posts, read 9,376,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
You don't get off the lists. My parents died in 2011 and 2013, and I still receive mail addressed to them. Mailers buy mail forwarding lists and never stop using them.

I've posted this before but it's worth a repeat. When someone dies and you are paying bills for the estate, rent a p.o. box and have everything sent there. When the estate is closed and the bills paid, close the p.o. box and leave no forwarding address.
Excellent advice regarding the p.o. box, thank you!!

When I moved and submitted a Change of Address with the post office I was inundated with mailings from local businesses welcoming me to the neighborhood. I contacted all of them inquiring where they got my address and was told it came from direct marketing, and claimed they had no contact information for them.

Any time I receive unsolicited mail I contact the sender to have my name removed and so far, so good.

I found out the post office gave out my information when I submitted the change of address.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamtan.../#12e6654e39f3

Supposedly if you list the address change as 'temporary' they will not release your information; however, I'm not confident of that being true.

And of course personal information is on the internet, those "people search" websites are notorious for it. There is an option on those pages to opt out and for the most part it works.

Next time I move I will not submit a Change of Address to the post office. As it is now, 99% of my mail is electronic and by the time I move anyone who sends snail mail will be notified well in advance to stop all deliveries until I submit a new address.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:27 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,062,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I throw them straight into the recycle bin, it is the easiest thing to do.
I go through the mail at the PO (box there) and what I don't want goes in THEIR recycle bin. Late husband still gets CC offers.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:33 AM

221 posts, read 115,962 times
Have an ink stamp made (less than $10.) Cover a majority of the address with a piece of scrap paper. Red ink stating 'deceased' captures attention. Apply this and then use a long piece of mailing tape (3/4") to secure to the mailing. Send it back from any location (other than outgoing mail from the residence which it was received). This worked for me, twice, with 90% efficiency.

Writing RTS (return to sender) is an alternative. Use a thick marker and do so through the address. Glassine envelopes won't absorb so use of pen, rewriting RTS multiple times can be effective. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement