U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,664 posts, read 40,039,994 times

Advertisements

some managers integrate seniors into the shifts to add depth / knowledge (free social skills training) to the many kids working there who have not had exposure to 'relationships'. Parents have a bad habit of avoiding their kids, especially relationships with their kids.

At a couple Fast food places at my Texas location there are older folks working who realize they are helping the young workers to know how to socialize and attend to customers. It is encouraging to watch the younger ones learn and tease with the older. Very healthy relationship building!

The older workers are there by choice, tho they can use the money. An element is the socialization for them. For them, it beats staying home and watching the TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 10:21 AM

1,838 posts, read 793,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Good thing we deleted them. It came from a headhunter of some sort but I deleted them anyway. We’re retired, not interested in working.
They claim to be "headhunters" but they are only out for your information like social security number. I get the calls frequently along with the one claiming I am about to be arrested for taxes. Others get the ones calling grandma or grandpa that they are locked up in jail and need money or had a car accident and need money. I may have gotten those as well but I have call blocker and they apparently don't leave a voice mail. Maybe I should pick up because I don't have children, never mind grandchildren and could have a load of fun with them.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:22 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
They claim to be "headhunters" but they are only out for your information like social security number. I get the calls frequently along with the one claiming I am about to be arrested for taxes. Others get the ones calling grandma or grandpa that they are locked up in jail and need money or had a car accident and need money. I may have gotten those as well but I have call blocker and they apparently don't leave a voice mail. Maybe I should pick up because I don't have children, never mind grandchildren and could have a load of fun with them.
Same here. I would have a field day with them.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:24 AM

1,838 posts, read 793,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And it's a positive article, too (meaning it says good things about senior workers).

I remember, not too many years ago, that people were posting in this forum about how hard it was to find a job for the person looking to either stay busy or supplement their income in retirement.

Bob Evans, Honey Baked Ham and Church's Chicken are 3 examples of places mentioned in the article.
I think it is the sign of low unemployment numbers. When unemployment was high many were forced to take several low paying jobs in order to survive. Now that unemployment is low, these individuals are often able to get back into the jobs they had before. Honestly I don't think it has anything to do with hiring or not hiring teenagers because the shifts needed are when teenagers are in school or should be.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:29 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Who works at McDonald's to "get out of the house and socialize"? That's just sad. If that's the reason, they've failed somewhere (seriously failed) in their interpersonal relationships. And you can't convince me that a senior is doing just fine in retirement if he's working at McDonald's. Um....no. That one ain't gonna fly. Sorry. I doubt the vast majority of seniors are doing fine in their retirement because all I hear is "I only have social security to live on" from many of them and also see lots of them in minimum wage jobs. My local Wal Mart is filled with seniors. Also lots of seniors are raising their own grandkids so that's an added expense to their lives.

Fast food work can be grueling and it's not something to do "for fun." No their lives aren't endangered and I never said that. I did point out there are hazards in fast food workplaces and safety risks.
Oh please. The FF seniors I've seen are behind the registers taking orders. I don't think that's dangerous. And those I've seen don't seem unhappy. They probably like the extra money and yes, they like talking to the customers.

When I was in my twenties, I worked at a fast food restaurant and I liked waiting on the customers. It was fun for the most part. This is not a job for curmudgeons. It's not a job for those who must live on the wages. It's not a job for those seeking full time work. But it's fine for those seeking part time employment who might just like to do something a little different involving people and a bit of cash on the side.

Let people do what they want without judging them. Just because you think they're "sad" doesn't mean they're sad.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:06 AM

13,307 posts, read 6,369,679 times
Quote:
This always make me laugh. I know the scam too well.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:08 AM

13,307 posts, read 6,369,679 times
Quote:
I think it is the sign of low unemployment numbers. When unemployment was high many were forced to take several low paying jobs in order to survive. Now that unemployment is low, these individuals are often able to get back into the jobs they had before. Honestly I don't think it has anything to do with hiring or not hiring teenagers because the shifts needed are when teenagers are in school or should be.
Very true. My sister’s friend was laid off as an engineer. He worked at a Disneyland or something for a few years. Never was ashamed that it was below him. Now he’s back to work as an engineer at his previous company.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:40 AM

2,575 posts, read 4,696,514 times
I'm retired and busy doing volunteer work and taking various lessons, so I'm not interested in working again. BUT...one of my volunteer stints is working at a hospital gift shop, which I've been doing twice a week for 4 hours for over 2 years now.

I have to say, my people skills are light-years better than they would have been when I was a teenager or young adult when I was more self-centered and took myself too seriously, as well as having family issues that weighed on me. And I notice this same thing among other older people when I'm at a restaurant or store. Over the years some people develop maturity in dealing with others that makes them excellent bets for service jobs where interacting with the public in part of the job.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:07 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,446,528 times
Good. Someone will know how to make change.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:22 PM

19,959 posts, read 14,264,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Bob Evans, Honey Baked Ham and Church's Chicken are 3 examples of places mentioned in the article.
That's been the case in Cincinnati for at least two decades.

Wages are determined by the Supply & Demand for a specific skill-set in a particular labor market.

There's always been an over abundance of warehouse workers, so they usually start at minimum wage, which is now $8.15/hour, but before Ohio had a minimum wage, it was the federal minimum wage.

There has always been a shortage of fast-food workers. 10 years ago, White Castle's was starting people at $11/hour, with a wage of $11.50/hour after 6 months, because that's what has to be paid to attract and maintain workers.

$24,000 might not seem like a lot of money, but the Cost-of-Living here is low, and $24,000 gives you the same Standard of Living as people making $38,000 or even $50,000 in other places in the US.

The young kids simply don't want to work. They show up when they feel like it, leave early, and call off, especially on weekends, which is when fast-food needs most of their labor.

Even when they do show up, they spend all their time playing on their i-Phones.

You can't run a business like that, so they look for more mature workers, and the elderly provide that, but to attract those workers, you have pay premium wages.

Good for the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or