U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 8 days ago)

9,475 posts, read 3,639,813 times

Advertisements

My guess is it's only people over 80 who want every little penny counted back to them.

Why not just count it yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 06:09 PM

1,184 posts, read 351,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone able to actually count back change in a loooong time. The register tells them how much I should get back and they tell me that amount. They don't know how to do the math to figure out if my bill is 15.75 and I give them a $20 bill, they should get 4.25 out of the drawer and say, "Your total was 15.75." Give me a quarter and say "16" and then count the one dollar bills into my hand as "17, 18, 19, 20." This concept is utterly lost on the recent generation.

When those registers go down or malfunction, they are totally lost, bless their hearts.

I think we should all start using cash again, write in cursive, and drive manual transmissions. We could cripple an entire generation!! :-)
You forgot to mention how to cook with out a microwave and change a tire.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:30 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,833,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
My guess is it's only people over 80 who want every little penny counted back to them. Why not just count it yourself?
Can you imagine the annoyance when everybody has to wait extra time in line while each person has to count their own change because we can't trust that the person with their nose in their phone gave us the right change. Counting back change is a double check for the cashier and helps the customer at the same time.

I used to work for a large housewares company. We were setting up a large display at a store. We needed to put together 2 items for a combo. The girl doing the display stood there with a puzzled look on her face and was fretting that she needed a calculator. I, about 30 years older than her, turned around and in about 3 seconds I gave her the total. She looked at me with an amazed look on her face and said "You did that in your head?" My response was, yeah when I went to school we actually had to learn to do math in our heads as we didn't have calculators.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:01 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,028,262 times
Quote:
My guess is it's only people over 80 who want every little penny counted back to them.
Bzzzzt. I'm 54. And having a cashier count the change back properly serves as a QC check for both parties that the amount returned is correct.

Quote:
Why not just count it yourself?
Because I'm the customer. The "burden of proof" isn't on me.

Dang, why so argumentative over a preference about how to receive change? Which hardly ever happens anyway, as most people use credit cards or debit cards or other electronic payments most of the time.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:19 PM

5,418 posts, read 2,819,339 times
Quote:
Um, sure. I love to socialize. But nobody has to work at a fast food restaurant to "get out and meet people." There are many other ways to do that.
Well, duh, of course there are ways to “get out and meet people.” But these workers get paid to do something where they interact with others.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:27 PM

5,418 posts, read 2,819,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
But they'll be able to "count it back." And I don't mean just count the change.

Anyone here who had a HS retail job in the '60s knows what I mean by "counting back" change.
Counting back is not the thing that throws young workers. It is when the clerk takes a round amount of cash, say $20, for a total that the register shows change due on, say, $15.23. Then the customer says, “Here is a quarter to make things easier.” The customer figures the clerk can figure change is now a fiver and two pennies instead of four ones and a fistful of coins. Should be easy, right? Yeah, it should be easy, yet I can’t count (ha ha) how many times this has absolutely befuddled workers too dependent on push-a-button-no-brainwork machines.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:17 AM

318 posts, read 342,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If older people WANT to and CAN work at a fast food place to augment their income or just as something to do, more power to them. I think a lot of the suspicion/caution comes if it's someone who has some noticeable physical issues and is probably doing it just to pay for their medicine or something.
Ever hear of the ADA? There is this novel thing called discriminatory hiring practices too...

suspicion/caution? So maybe someone NEEDS to have the money because social security isn't enough. That is now a reason not to hire someone?

Older people and/or people with "issues" as the above poster stated, are often even BETTER workers than the teens. They have a great work ethic because they truly need to have the money.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,366,592 times
It is both good and bad. Good in the sense that the work is available for them should they need it. Bad in the sense that so many seniors are ill-prepared for retirement. I know some older people do work to pass the time and prevent from being bored, but I think the majority are doing it because they need the money and/or insurance the job provides.

Not as rosy when you look at it like that, especially when you consider what the likely result will be when we do have an economic downturn.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 AM

11,975 posts, read 5,111,061 times
I doubt insurance has anything to do with it. Very few if any food service places provides health care for part time employees. In fact very few companies over all still do.
I work for a national company worth billions. They don't even provide health care for part time employees. I was contemplating staying there and working part time when I retire but threw that idea out the window when I inquired about health care for part timers and discovered it wasn't offered. Once I go to part time, my hourly pay rate will decrease significantly and my healthcare benefits are gone. So staying there for any length of time after i start social security at 62 isn't worth it.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,772 posts, read 54,408,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Bzzzzt. I'm 54. And having a cashier count the change back properly serves as a QC check for both parties that the amount returned is correct.

Because I'm the customer. The "burden of proof" isn't on me.

Dang, why so argumentative over a preference about how to receive change? Which hardly ever happens anyway, as most people use credit cards or debit cards or other electronic payments most of the time.
Yes, I can't remember the last time I paid cash for anything. When it comes to fast food, it would be nice of they just got the correct food in the bag the first time. It's a rare day that we go to a drive-up, mostly just on a road trip, but half the time have to stop and go back in because something was missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or