U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
My guess is it's only people over 80 who want every little penny counted back to them.

Why not just count it yourself?
That would be my guess too. I hate it when a cashier does the stupid counting change back thing. Just give me the proper amount and let me move on with my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,515,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, I can't remember the last time I paid cash for anything. When it comes to fast food, it would be nice of they just got the correct food in the bag the first time. It's a rare day that we go to a drive-up, mostly just on a road trip, but half the time have to stop and go back in because something was missing.
Ya know what Joe Pesci said in that movie, "They f*ck you at the drive through!"

Advice is to check your bag before you drive away from the window.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:30 PM

6,335 posts, read 3,593,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runitb View Post
That would be my guess too. I hate it when a cashier does the stupid counting change back thing. Just give me the proper amount and let me move on with my life.
You're probably one of those people who leaves half a can of soda on the table. This is a social result of always having had enough of everything (or maybe not thinking of someone else who would be glad to have it.) My point being different generations=different mindsets. Those things tend to stay with you.

I had an odd exchange with a young person running a cash register. Or, actually the cash register was running her.

My bill came to exactly sixteen dollars. I gave her a twenty. She gave me back two dollars.

I told her she owned me two more dollars and she pointed at the register and said, "No, see? It says your change is two dollars."

I asked her to think what sixteen from twenty was. Light bulb goes on and she gives me two dollars.

What happened? I don't know. Was she pocketing money or did the machine malfunction? How many people in a hurry even stop to question the interaction until it later occurs to them?

Old 11-10-2018, 02:48 PM

213 posts, read 77,063 times
Here's a good story about fast food change. I was at a Wendy's once and went through the drive through. It was winter, so the window opened, the person handed me my food and change and closed the window. I realized they had given me $5 too much. I knocked on the window, said the change was too much and handed back the 5 bucks. Instead of a thank you they snatched the 5 dollar bill from my hand and slammed the window shut again. I drove off, half thinking I did the right thing and half thinking I should have kept the 5 bucks. I agree that people at fast food places can't handle change. They can't handle anything complicated, or coupons either. You better just order a number 4 or whatever and pay with a credit card. Then at least you have a shot at things going correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or