Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:58 PM

5,502 posts, read 6,417,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If older people WANT to and CAN work at a fast food place to augment their income or just as something to do, more power to them. I think a lot of the suspicion/caution comes if it's someone who has some noticeable physical issues and is probably doing it just to pay for their medicine or something.
Huh? What "suspicion/caution", I don't get this comment. Businesses now hire "mentally challenged" young people, what is the difference between them and the older person who has "physical issues", except the older person may need the money for their medicine "or something" and the younger, mentally challenged worker is being taken care of by parents, relatives, caregivers, guardians, etc. and most likely doesn't need the money to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 09:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,289,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It used to vary by region and maybe still does. In the Boston area, fastfood workers tended more towards teenagers who did not appear to like their jobs. .
Sorry but nobody is happy doing fast food work for a career. It's not something to make a career out of - for anyone.

And restaurants have created a monster by hiring older people, because they demand higher wages than teenagers. Teenagers who use fast food work as a temporary stepping stone aren't the ones demanding a "living wage."

I also think working a drive-through fast food job is too fast paced for a typical elderly person. They mop floors quite often in these places and slip and fall is a risk for breaking bones. This is not an ideal job and the only reason for a retired person to consider it is if they have no other options left.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:17 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,594,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Drive-thru people are multi-tasking though - taking an order maybe while also taking money and also doing the drinks. I would NOT want to deal with that craziness over a lunch rush that lasts maybe 3 hours!
Who said anything about drive-through service? I was talking about in-restaurant dining. I almost never use the drive-through option. So no multitasking involved in my scenario.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:26 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,594,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Sorry but nobody is happy doing fast food work for a career. It's not something to make a career out of - for anyone.

And restaurants have created a monster by hiring older people, because they demand higher wages than teenagers. Teenagers who use fast food work as a temporary stepping stone aren't the ones demanding a "living wage."

I also think working a drive-through fast food job is too fast paced for a typical elderly person. They mop floors quite often in these places and slip and fall is a risk for breaking bones. This is not an ideal job and the only reason for a retired person to consider it is if they have no other options left.
Actually, some people are just glad to have a J O B. Few think of retail food service as a career, but so what?

It is NOT older people who demand a “living wage†for minimum wage jobs. It is young and middle-aged adults who cannot get jobs that require more education and/or training.

Most older people I’ve seen in fast food places work the front counter, where they do just fine.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,493,759 times
My experience...
older workers:
1) Better service
2) Actually know something (autoparts / hardware / fabric stores)
3) Think BEYOND the computer terminal... (If the computer does not show the part, an older person is FAR more inclined to look in the stock-room, ask another worker, FIND you an answer)
4) Are easier on delivery vehicles (and safer / less to insure too)
5) Can usually pass a drug test
6) takes the TIME to help you
7) Understands your time (and money) is valuable
8) Can carry on a conversation
9) Has a lot to offer
10) will not HIDE from customers
11) Does not need to be TOLD what to do for every move to make...
12) Can count and read a tape measure
13) Can do math (Divide fractions, calculate %...)
14) Will show up!
15) Will finish serving customer even if they are on a break / quitting time.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:04 AM

4,731 posts, read 6,413,035 times
I agree that older workers have a lot to offer, but at some point, physical challenges make it hard to do the average fast food job. For instance, standing for long periods can be difficult. How are seniors doing that?

I have bad arthritis in my knees. One knee has been replaced, and I'll probably need to have the other one done too. Many of my friends have hip and foot issues. I would hate a job where I had to stand for an entire shift! I just couldn't do that.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:17 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,796,911 times
A huge advantage: they won't ask for health care coverage. They've got Medicare. Nor do they ask for 401k or other retirement plan. Less likely to be on their smartphone. In addition to those other advantages.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:45 AM

7,123 posts, read 9,193,455 times
Stand all day at Micky Dees for $12 per hour?

No way! I'd rather be dead.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,493,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Stand all day at Micky Dees for $12 per hour?

No way! I'd rather be dead.
I think you will find most seniors in Food Service would be dead (or starving or homeless) if not working.

Often due to circumstances beyond their control (elder or spouse care or wayward adult child has drained their savings and current subsistence.) Worker Gal I met yesterday was caring for her (5) grandchildren while Druggy Daughter is doing jail time (again). Mom has paid to put the daughter through rehab many times.
Counseling, rent deposits, car repairs...

Neighbors (age 70 and with disability) have had their grandkids for 13 yrs. Not uncommon.

They (grandparents and grandkids) are to be blessed. Not an ez road.

Most of us are VERY fortunate.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:20 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,678,116 times
So long as the worker is productive and helpful, it don't matter to me I they are a senior or youngum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement