U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 05:35 AM

34,694 posts, read 33,709,656 times

Advertisements

And it's a positive article, too (meaning it says good things about senior workers).

Quote:
"Fast-food chains are recruiting in senior centers and churches. They’re placing want ads on the website of AARP, an advocacy group for Americans over 50. Recruiters say older workers have soft skills—a friendly demeanor, punctuality—that their younger cohorts sometimes lack. Two powerful trends are at work: a labor shortage amid the tightest job market in almost five decades, and the propensity for longer-living Americans to keep working—even part-time—to supplement often-meager retirement savings."

https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...nts#gs.MAJ9YNE
I remember, not too many years ago, that people were posting in this forum about how hard it was to find a job for the person looking to either stay busy or supplement their income in retirement.

Bob Evans, Honey Baked Ham and Church's Chicken are 3 examples of places mentioned in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 AM

23,614 posts, read 17,598,460 times
If older people WANT to and CAN work at a fast food place to augment their income or just as something to do, more power to them. I think a lot of the suspicion/caution comes if it's someone who has some noticeable physical issues and is probably doing it just to pay for their medicine or something.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:17 AM

13,260 posts, read 6,351,451 times
We received unwanted text message that AMAZON is hiring too. But when I go shopping at Macy’s, the senior there helped me, but the other employees there did a good job of avoiding us. So if I want to work as a senior, Macy’s would be the place.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:49 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,512,142 times
I work in a small floral shop and the owners are in their 60s as are both delivery drivers and 4 out of the other 6 employees.

I see quite a few seniors working in businesses where I deliver and shop. We are known to be reliable, personable, and in possession of a work ethic over many of the younger kids.

I think it is awesome. Lots of opportunities for retirees who want to work part time or even more.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:51 AM

13,260 posts, read 6,351,451 times
I would love to work in a floral shop. I love flowers and did take a few flower arrangement class. It will be like playing. Plus part time is ideal.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 AM

8,988 posts, read 7,758,201 times
In retail and fast food the main requirements are to be punctual and sober. The rest is secondary.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:42 AM

5,453 posts, read 2,840,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
In retail and fast food the main requirements are to be punctual and sober. The rest is secondary.
Which makes this an even more disheartening statement about what young people’s standards of behavior are. IF it can be generalized so broadly, which I doubt.

Next up: The only requirement will be that of a living body.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:48 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
For the first time a man who I would say was about in his sixties took my order at Taco Bell last week.

This location had a sign up for months asking for help during the hours the teens who work there were in school. I think this has been a problem for many FF places, no problem on weekends and evenings but during the day when the young people are in college of high school they need more help. Students have to work around schedules, others may want better paying jobs if this is their only source of income.

It seems pretty ideal for a Senior who wants a part time job for extra cash or even more. Some of these places, like Mickey-D's even offer benefits.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:15 AM

5,453 posts, read 2,840,074 times
It used to vary by region and maybe still does. In the Boston area, fastfood workers tended more towards teenagers who did not appear to like their jobs. When I took trips to the southeast US, though, fastfood servers were older and seemed happier to have a job.

Fastforward several decades and into southwestern CO, and fastfood workers include plenty of both teenagers and seniors. A few don’t listen well (ask what I ordered immediately after I say it—sometimes twice—and then still geting the order wrong) but most are friendly and perfectly competent. I like the mix of ages, too.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:12 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,501,199 times
"and the propensity for longer-living Americans to keep working—even part-time—to supplement often-meager retirement savings." Working after retirement if one wants to is fine, working after retirement because one has to is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or