U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:56 PM

673 posts, read 2,028,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I just caught the typo in that quote. I copied it straight from the Internet too. But you got the meaning. Irma was not talking about hot, dry areas of land. It was supposed to be "desserts." But I bet she would have thought this was funny. Anyway I just had to fix it.

ďJust think of all those women on the Titanic who said, 'No thank you' to dessert that night. And for what?!Ē

Irma was talking about the empty nest syndrome, and her sons came in and out so fast they hardly saw them. She said her husband was on the phone once happy to be talking to one of them, but after 10 minutes time he realized he was talking to the answering machine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 08:25 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,845,295 times
I didn't think I had any indulgences but maybe I do. Recently a really good little eatery opened nearby. They make beautiful smoothies and nice (panini) sandwiches. Last week they were taking orders online and I signed up for two homemade chicken pot pies. I think going there and getting something special is my indulgence as they're kind of pricey and it's one of those organic, healthy eating places.

Other than that, it's just eating out about once a month at a nice restaurant. And I save up for trips to England but that's only every two years or so.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:18 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,521,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The following isn't a monthly indulgence, but rather a couple times/year. I unlock my safe and extract an extremely high limit credit card, and head over to Total Wine & Spirits on The Strip for a little shopping. Below are some photographs. (Moderators: these are my own photographs, taken with my own cell phone camera with permission from the retailer). Hey, you only live once.

Perhaps a Screaming Eagle to accompany a dry aged porterhouse this weekend?

Or maybe a Latour or a Margaux instead?

Nah... I think it will be a Petrus...

Now, after dinner... decisions, decision, decisions...

A Duncan Taylor, perhaps?

Or maybe a nice, unpretentious Balvenie?

Or maybe if I'm in a mood to splurge on a nice Dalmore...

... or Balvenie...

... or maybe a somewhat pretious Dalmore...

... but I have my eye on this exquisite Macallan...

But I always seem to head to Trader Joe's or Costco to pick up something rational instead.

Oh well, its nice to daydream.
I think a heroin addiction would be cheaper.

I'll stick with Diet Dr Pepper and Peanut M&M's.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:35 AM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
How do you know itís a female, I can tell with crab but I donít know if thereís a difference with lobster.
Lobstermen see the eggs on the tail (berried), notch the tail, and throw it back. They donít ever keep a lobster with a notched tail. Itís really unusual to see a large female lobster in the market because most of them end up with notched tails. In that way, lobstering is more like farming than fishing. Cod and haddock are fished to near extinction. Lobster is doing fine at least until water temperatures rise in the Gulf of Maine. The lobster are gone where I live on the Massachusetts coast at the Rhode Island line. Itís too warm.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I think a heroin addiction would be cheaper.

I'll stick with Diet Dr Pepper and Peanut M&M's.
My brother-in-law has a 3,000 bottle wine collection. They have lots of friends with cellars like that. Itís a disease.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:58 AM

9,155 posts, read 8,665,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I just caught the typo in that quote.
You mean "Irma" instead of "Erma"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erma_Bombeck

Old 11-08-2018, 08:15 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,434,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
How do you know itís a female, I can tell with crab but I donít know if thereís a difference with lobster.
A female lobster's tail is much wider.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,434,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The lobster are gone where I live on the Massachusetts coast at the Rhode Island line. Itís too warm.
Wow. Sad.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:29 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,062,526 times
I really need to work on this. Can't think of any indulgences. Last year I wanted to buy myself a Xmas present and it took me weeks to think of something I wanted. Finally got myself an MP3 player ($30). Replaced two aging 1G Ipods.

Those wines and liquors, wow!! Do I want a new car or a bottle of booze? Hmmmm...

Reminds me of my BIL who had a "premium" bottle of whiskey (nowhere near that expensive). Always saving it for a special occasion. Once we were over there, it was either his or his parent's milestone wedding anniversary, the whole family was there, his kids and grandkids,..... was it special enough? Nope, he couldn't pull the trigger. He always said he was saving it for when his oldest grandson became a priest. He is now a plumber.

Eat dessert!! Use the good china!! Enjoy things with your friends!

Old 11-08-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Wow. Sad.

Yep. I used to have a recreational lobster permit when I was a kid. Up to 10 lobster pots and 15 lobsters per day. Now, I'd have to go 6 miles to close to Cuttyhunk to find lobsters in the summer. Lobsters walk away to colder water as it warms up and a lobster pot near me is going to catch nothing but useless spider crabs. It's not worth the fuel burn and it's a bit far in the sailboat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement