U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:29 AM

11,082 posts, read 12,461,714 times

Advertisements

A bone in rib eye steak to grill. I can only afford it once a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Does the Catholic Church still sell them?
^Ha, that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title!

Old 11-06-2018, 07:34 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
I also buy wine. I have a wine shop near me that only sells wines from smaller wineries. They are always having deals on cases, so I get 12 bottles at a time. This way I always have wine on hand to take when friends and I go to a BYOB for dinner or when we have a church potluck or something to attend to which you can bring wine. Of course, I also drink some every night, usually half a bottle, sometimes less, sometimes, but rarely, more.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:37 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,270,643 times
Nothing really once a month, with regularity. But whenever I want -- whether it's once a month or once every few months, or twice a year:

-- Sushi, Pizza, or a cheesesteak
-- Clothes (More like a couple of times as year. Sometimes, I hate to say it, but even though I have more clothes than I'll ever wear -- and even knowing I'll likely never wear the clothing I'm buying right then -- I just feel like buying something, just to buy it. Just because I like the item. But the clothes are very inexpensive, Walmart, DD's Discount, etc. I can be an impulse shopper. At least I keep my price point at a total at one one time to 10-20 bucks.)

I've been thinking about purging most of the thing I have. And I'm smart enough to know it makes no sense to ADD to my "hoard." But I enjoy indulging my impulse. So I do. Life is short I'm not going to stress out about it

-- Once a year I order all my vitamins and supplements for the year. That's about $600.00. Technically, that could be considered and indulgence.
-- I do order out a lot...so if anything, THAT is my every week indulgence.

And when you think about it.....what exactly IS an indulgence? Anything above subsistence could meet that definition.
I do like certain soaps and body scrubs that might be considered mid-priced by some, expensive by some, and beneath them by others.
-- Is $25.00 for a body scrub indulgent....when you could get a body scrub at Walmart for $5.00?
-- Is $10.00 for a pair of wool socks and indulgence, when you can buy a pack of socks for less than that?

Some people think buying anything new -- that you could buy used.....is indulgent.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:52 AM

1,181 posts, read 350,933 times
What is an indulgence? I drive 50 miles one way once or twice a week for chocolates, French pastries, and lunch but never considered it an indulgence. It's like going to the gym only it's for mental health. ;-)

Old 11-06-2018, 08:07 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,312,212 times
Fresh organic Cheese and Bread. Regularly dine at many of Asheville’s great restaurants. Biltmore Wineclub about once a week. I don’t really feel these are indulgences, just retirement rewards.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:43 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,428,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What are your regular "must haves" that are really just wants? Mine are:

Wine -- about $250 a month (About 14 moderately-priced bottles and one bottle about $50)*
Scented candles -- about $25 per month (I buy them in bulk on sale)
Our personal coffee blend that we personally grind -- about $25 a month

*That is, about 15 bottles total to share with my husband!
Not to get too academic, but economics 101 teaches us there is no such thing as a "need" or a "must have;" all that exists are "wants & desires."

Old 11-06-2018, 08:44 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,841 times
Once a month - very well done hair apt.

Every few months - a Brahmin handbag. I'm addicted !

Old 11-06-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLackland View Post
Driving my 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T.
Don't you want to trade up to a Hellcat???

Old 11-06-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
My brother in chopsticks. Same here but about every two or three weeks and made at home. There is no sushi restaurant close to me that can match what I can make at home so I have some good stuff FedExed in and eat like Pharaoh for a couple of nights.
I know that sushi-grade fish has been deep frozen to -40 degrees or so in the US to kill parasites, etc. Where do you source sushi-grade fish that has been properly frozen ahead of time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement