Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:52 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times

Advertisements

I buy my tea from China. I indulge in really good tea. Every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Speaking of indulgences reminds me of a quote I once read by Irma Bombeck. I GOOGLED it to make very I got it right.

I think she was saying a little indulgence every now and then is a good thing because, who knows?
Love it.

She wrote this:

"Someone asked me the other day if I had my life to live over would I change anything.

My answer was no, but then I thought about it and changed my mind. . ."

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/492...-someone-asked

Old 11-06-2018, 09:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I just caught the typo in that quote. I copied it straight from the Internet too. But you got the meaning. Irma was not talking about hot, dry areas of land. It was supposed to be "desserts." But I bet she would have thought this was funny. Anyway I just had to fix it.

“Just think of all those women on the Titanic who said, 'No thank you' to dessert that night. And for what?!”

Old 11-07-2018, 04:50 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I know that sushi-grade fish has been deep frozen to -40 degrees or so in the US to kill parasites, etc. Where do you source sushi-grade fish that has been properly frozen ahead of time?

Not all sushi fish must be deep frozen, tuna being a notable example. I get it both fresh and frozen depending on their supply at the moment and what I want. Uni is another sushi item that is best fresh, never frozen.

Catalina Offshore Products

Old 11-07-2018, 05:52 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
A carton of premium ice cream, usually Hagen Daz Coffee, sometimes something from Ben & Jerry - Phish Food is often the choice.

If I could stop adopting senior black labs who usually have some significant medical needs there would be lots more to spend on indulgences but the dogs bring so much joy in to my life that they are more than worth it. A plus is that cleaning up the poop and the fur they shed provides some exercise to counterbalance that ice cream.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:44 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I recently indulged myself in something I just realized was an indulgence. My faithful old IPhone died. I went to the phone store to replace it. I was looking at the cheapest ones there (naturally) when the saleswoman asked my price range. When I told her she showed me a more expensive phone within the range. It was a little later generation.

She didn’t try to pressure me, it was her job to show me and it was still within my budget. But it was more expensive. But it had a better camera than the one I was looking at and I love taking pictures and........

I bought the more expensive one.

I feel guilty. But I’ll get over it.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post

Not all sushi fish must be deep frozen, tuna being a notable example. I get it both fresh and frozen depending on their supply at the moment and what I want. Uni is another sushi item that is best fresh, never frozen.

Catalina Offshore Products

Massively off-topic but this is 'retirement' where that's OK.

Tuna is the only wild fish excluded from the FDA regulations for serving raw fish. Everything else either has to be flash frozen (-31F for 15 hours) or frozen to -4F for a week. Farmed fish and shellfish have different rules where they test the fish farm or shellfish bed. Sea urchin and octopus are considered to be shellfish which is why you can get fresh uni.

Personally, I try to avoid raw shellfish.

For food at home, my biggest indulgence is lobster rolls. Even steaming my own lobsters, it's $25 to $30/pound since you get so much waste out of a lobster. My local fish market gets $45/pound for cooked lobster meat.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:25 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Massively off-topic but this is 'retirement' where that's OK.

Tuna is the only wild fish excluded from the FDA regulations for serving raw fish. Everything else either has to be flash frozen (-31F for 15 hours) or frozen to -4F for a week. Farmed fish and shellfish have different rules where they test the fish farm or shellfish bed. Sea urchin and octopus are considered to be shellfish which is why you can get fresh uni.

Personally, I try to avoid raw shellfish.

For food at home, my biggest indulgence is lobster rolls. Even steaming my own lobsters, it's $25 to $30/pound since you get so much waste out of a lobster. My local fish market gets $45/pound for cooked lobster meat.
I hope lobster is not so expensive when I come and visit New England this summer. It’s my yearly indulgence, go to New England for fresh lobsters. When I was living in Boston, I had them weekly.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I can't say that I have any indulgence that I buy once a month. My wants are simple but there are times when you just have to have something special. We looked for decades for a Chicago Mosaic lamp with a tree base. They were out of reach but the right one came along that closely matches the shade we have on a standing base. It was a little over two thousand dollars but well worth it.

I spent over $200 dollars last month on haunted houses with my teenage shorties. It's an annual thing with us and it's what they want for their birthday presents. It's also a lot of fun. The Halloween party is a couple of hundred dollars every year as well. Those are my big indulgences for the year.

I eat what I want when I want it but it's not a once a month thing. It's a daily thing. Yeah my waistline is growing again so I'll soon be back on starvation rations.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I give to charity at least once a month, which is more often than I did before retirement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement