Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 11:42 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I recently indulged myself in something I just realized was an indulgence. My faithful old IPhone died. I went to the phone store to replace it. I was looking at the cheapest ones there (naturally) when the saleswoman asked my price range. When I told her she showed me a more expensive phone within the range. It was a little later generation.

She didn’t try to pressure me, it was her job to show me and it was still within my budget. But it was more expensive. But it had a better camera than the one I was looking at and I love taking pictures and........

I bought the more expensive one.

I feel guilty. But I’ll get over it.
Why feel guilty, if you can afford the pricey tech stuff, then it's all OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 11:56 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Why feel guilty, if you can afford the pricey tech stuff, then it's all OK.
That's what the smiley face was for. I don't. Maybe I should have used this guy

Old 11-07-2018, 01:43 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post

Not all sushi fish must be deep frozen, tuna being a notable example. I get it both fresh and frozen depending on their supply at the moment and what I want. Uni is another sushi item that is best fresh, never frozen.

Catalina Offshore Products
Thanks!

SportyandMisty

Old 11-07-2018, 01:48 PM

During the summer months, a monthly indulgence is a whole lobster-for-two at The Palm https://www.thepalm.com/special/summ...ebration-2018/. We usually upgrade to the 5 pound, and prefer a female, steamed. We have friends who make go there every Monday for Lobster, and sometimes twice a week.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
During the summer months, a monthly indulgence is a whole lobster-for-two at The Palm https://www.thepalm.com/special/summ...ebration-2018/. We usually upgrade to the 5 pound, and prefer a female, steamed. We have friends who make go there every Monday for Lobster, and sometimes twice a week.
How do you know it’s a female, I can tell with crab but I don’t know if there’s a difference with lobster.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:22 PM

705 posts, read 561,721 times
We go out to eat a couple of times per month.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
What indulgences each month?

Food and strong soft TP.

Oh. And eat out once a month, usually at denny's for the $2-4-6-8 menu. Plus its 10 or 15% off with AARP card.

Thats our splurges.

Everything else is pretty much not needed at this time.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:55 PM

The following isn't a monthly indulgence, but rather a couple times/year. I unlock my safe and extract an extremely high limit credit card, and head over to Total Wine & Spirits on The Strip for a little shopping. Below are some photographs. (Moderators: these are my own photographs, taken with my own cell phone camera with permission from the retailer). Hey, you only live once.

Perhaps a Screaming Eagle to accompany a dry aged porterhouse this weekend?

Or maybe a Latour or a Margaux instead?

Nah... I think it will be a Petrus...

Now, after dinner... decisions, decision, decisions...

A Duncan Taylor, perhaps?

Or maybe a nice, unpretentious Balvenie?

Or maybe if I'm in a mood to splurge on a nice Dalmore...

... or Balvenie...

... or maybe a somewhat pretious Dalmore...

... but I have my eye on this exquisite Macallan...

But I always seem to head to Trader Joe's or Costco to pick up something rational instead.

Oh well, its nice to daydream.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:08 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,044,960 times
My little indulgence is coffee. We stop in at Starbucks a couple of times a week and then I stop by to reward myself when I've had a busy time running errands. Between our two homes, we have two Nespresso machines, a Senseo and a Suncana coffee maker. The Nespresso capsules add up in cost at the rate I go through them but that's my one little food indulgence. Our regular coffee that we use for pour-overs isn't very expensive but it's not easy to find so some effort has to be made to get more when we run out.

I think regular little indulgences give us all something to look forward to and we can each scale the cost of such items to our individual budgets.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
How do you know it’s a female, I can tell with crab but I don’t know if there’s a difference with lobster.
Crabs are girls and lobsters are boys.

Just like cats are girls and dogs are boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement