U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:15 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,774,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Back in the day (or even after) did you ever give your car(s) a name?

Don't know if this was a regional thing or not, but I'm curious how widespread the practice was. Recently I mentioned it to an email correspondent of the same age (late 60s/early 70s) and she claims never heard of anyone ever naming their car. She grew up in a farming community in California; I grew up in a NYC suburb.

I always thought it was a Baby Boomer generation thing but maybe it was indeed regional?

One of the kids on my block had a yellow 1960 Buick that he named the Big Banana, and a 1970s co-worker had a red Ford Pinto that she named the Tiki Torch after the whole exploding gas tank thing started (morbid, yes, but funny.)

The funny thing is that I never named my cars back in the day (60s, 70s, etc) but I did name my 2002 Lexus "Lexie" (how unoriginal, right? lol) after I'd had it about 8 years (kept it for 15.) However, my new ride which is a 2017 Honda was named Athena during her first week.

Anyone else who either did or still does name their car(s)?

My wife has a girlfriend that is a BBCjunkie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM

766 posts, read 279,875 times
my first car only. She was "Chuggin' "..... she had personality, but kinda unlike mine... lol. i was brought up to be only a nice, "good" girl.... Chuggin', on the other hand, was real sslluutt....her glove compartment door popped open every time a guy sat in the passenger seat. I admired that about her. yeah. i did.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,684,462 times
I named some of my cars, but didn't ever refer to them by those names, so I stopped doing it. My college roommate had a ridiculously cute Austin Healey Sprite, that she named Squeally the Austin Healey. This was back in the early '70s, when most freshmen college students didn't even have a car at all, let alone one so wonderful. Of course, we were all super jealous!

Her car looked almost exactly like this one, same color and everything:

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...michigan-49512

Old 11-06-2018, 01:29 PM

416 posts, read 263,297 times
Mmy first car was a VW bug, which I named, "Pierre." My friend had an orange Pinto that she called, "Roger."

Old 11-06-2018, 01:45 PM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,227,855 times
My wife had a VW bug when she was going to college that she named Addle Addle. She worked at Mound City National Historical Park and an addle addle is a Native American tool used in hunting and foraging.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:29 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,766,106 times
My Mazda truck was named Flyer. My current PT Cruiser is named Thunder. I name the cars, my model horses (and they even have pedigrees) and yes, even my computer. It's called Warp Drive.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:10 PM

7,304 posts, read 15,356,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
My wife had a VW bug when she was going to college that she named Addle Addle. She worked at Mound City National Historical Park and an addle addle is a Native American tool used in hunting and foraging.
atlatl, that would be. It's for throwing spears
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-06-2018, 03:35 PM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,227,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
atlatl, that would be. It's for throwing spears
Yep, you are right on that. Shows how much I know on that subject.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:46 PM

4,671 posts, read 3,248,729 times
My first car after divorce was a small Toyota I named Rosie. Coming back from Canada one very snowy night, I flipped it on ice. Totaled the car. Got it fixed and drove for two more years.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:35 PM

666 posts, read 201,202 times
A friend of mine calls my Sentra "The Silver Ghost" while I call her "The Fishin' Car." The new Mazda hatch has yet to earn a name, but she'll have one in good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or