Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 06:37 PM

855 posts, read 623,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Back in the day (or even after) did you ever give your car(s) a name?

Don't know if this was a regional thing or not, but I'm curious how widespread the practice was. Recently I mentioned it to an email correspondent of the same age (late 60s/early 70s) and she claims never heard of anyone ever naming their car. She grew up in a farming community in California; I grew up in a NYC suburb.

I always thought it was a Baby Boomer generation thing but maybe it was indeed regional?

One of the kids on my block had a yellow 1960 Buick that he named the Big Banana, and a 1970s co-worker had a red Ford Pinto that she named the Tiki Torch after the whole exploding gas tank thing started (morbid, yes, but funny.)

The funny thing is that I never named my cars back in the day (60s, 70s, etc) but I did name my 2002 Lexus "Lexie" (how unoriginal, right? lol) after I'd had it about 8 years (kept it for 15.) However, my new ride which is a 2017 Honda was named Athena during her first week.

Anyone else who either did or still does name their car(s)?
The last car I owned, a Ford Fiesta hatchback, was named "FooFoo von BunnyButt".
Because the rear of the Fiesta hatchback looks (to me) like a bunny's butt.
I should've glued a large cotton-ball to it for the tail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 12:09 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
Yes, always name them. Most accurate was the Kia sportage named "the little red b!+@h" after a Drew Carey episode. Terrible car with a great warranty; we used to wait until at least three things were broken before taking it in for service.

Current car is the Blunenicorn. It has a twisty antenna that looks like a horn, and it's blue.
The truck we got from my dad was "the colonel" (dad was a marine).

Old 11-08-2018, 12:39 AM

1,204 posts, read 933,812 times
My best friend in college called her car Charlie. But that was sort of her thing. Most of us didn’t have cars, but the couple others who did, didn’t name them. When I got my first GPS, before it became an app on a phone, I called the GPS She Who Must Be Obeyed. I’d sometimes shut her up in the glove compartment, and I’d still hear that faint, didactic voice coldly saying, “ recalculating, recalculating.”

Old 11-08-2018, 03:29 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,193 times
I started naming my cars from the very first one. It was a 1950 chevy, painted in gray primer. It looked just like something that would have dropped from the wing of a b52, so we called it 'The Bomb'. My dad's car was a 1970 Chrysler that was so large, it looked like 'The Bulgemobile' of National Lampoon fame. We joked that it needed to have 4 volkswagons as 'tugs' to pull/push it into our garage, so we named it "The Queen Mary".

Old 11-08-2018, 04:07 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,930,607 times
Nope. We currently have "the green car", "the gray car", and "the convertible".

Old 11-08-2018, 07:11 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
Always named my cars. So does my husband, and his parents. My mom called all of her cars Susie Jane. I can still remember her begging "Come on Susie Jane, you can do it", whenever she was being difficult to start and cranking it over and over..."Come on Susie Jane!

My first car, a very small Honda Civic, was BeBop.

My Prelude was "the 'lude".

My red Toyota pickup was RedTruck (not very original).

My white Toyota pickup, after I wrecked RedTruck, was Snowball.

My green 2002 Honda CR-V is Kermit (it does look like a frog, and it's not easy being green). Hubby just inherited Kermit when we sold his car, Ms Blue.

My new deep wine red CR-V is named Vino Carleone.

I always like my FIL's car that was a Saturn named Ringo.

My husband also had an old green Malibu that he called Pea Green, but I called it the Mali-butt.

His white El Camino is the El Commode.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:52 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,045,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
The last car I owned, a Ford Fiesta hatchback, was named "FooFoo von BunnyButt".
Because the rear of the Fiesta hatchback looks (to me) like a bunny's butt.
I should've glued a large cotton-ball to it for the tail.
That is priceless! Does she get called FooFoo for short?

Isn't there a kid's rhyme about Little Bunny FooFoo walking through the forest...? Now I will have to crank up Google to find that, lol

Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,129,954 times
I had never heard of naming a car until this week, though in fact My car I just stopped using was a van all pirated out and called the Black Pearl. I just got a 2003 Cadillac Deville yesterday and I am calling it the White Pearl as it has that Pearl finish on it.
Of course we are also calling it the Cadi.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:12 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,149 times
Great posts ! I've laughing out loud.

I've named a few of my cars. Most notable: Scarlet was my red 89 T-bird. I LOVED that car and became emotionally attached. Despite the fact that Scarlet was over 15 yrs old, and hammering me with repair bills, I refused to sell her, and kept her for years, parked in the driveway, after I bought my next vehicle. Having learned my lesson about emotional attachments to vehicles, I didn't name that car. Still I felt badly about trading it in, again 15 yrs later, to buy my new, red (all my cars are red) Ford escape. Because the colour is Ruby red, alas, I call her Ruby. I figure, as old as I am, I'll drop dead before I have to trade her in so don't worry about emotional attachments.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:20 AM

855 posts, read 623,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
That is priceless! Does she get called FooFoo for short?

Isn't there a kid's rhyme about Little Bunny FooFoo walking through the forest...? Now I will have to crank up Google to find that, lol
Yes, "FooFoo" was the name I used most regularly.
My daughter had come up with the name "FooFoo" and only later
did I remember that there was that poem about Little Bunny FooFoo,
so the bunny-butt connection seemed to click even better after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement