U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 AM

21,220 posts, read 11,844,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Little Bunny FooFoo walking through the forest. Scooping up the field mice and bashing them in the head.
Bopping them on the head. Bopping. Not bashing. It's a children's song after all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,985,404 times
My very first car, in 1972, was a 1962 blue 4 door Ford something, and was nicknamed "The Blue Mongoose" by my brother-in-law.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:46 PM

5,233 posts, read 674,523 times
Back in the 80s I dated a guy who bought a used little white Toyota Corolla. We named it "Yoda the Toyota."

After having "mom" cars for too many years, in 2013 I purchased a 2012 Mazda 2 in "Spirited Green." I wanted something I could pick out in a parking lot from a sea of gray. I call it my Screamin' Green Mighty Machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Did you name your car(s)?-mazda2.jpg  

Old 11-18-2018, 01:50 PM

1,685 posts, read 585,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Back in the 80s I dated a guy who bought a used little white Toyota Corolla. We named it "Yoda the Toyota."

After having "mom" cars for too many years, in 2013 I purchased a 2012 Mazda 2 in "Spirited Green." I wanted something I could pick out in a parking lot from a sea of gray. I call it my Screamin' Green Mighty Machine.

Love both those names, LOL! Though if I'd had your Mazda I'd probably have eventually shortened it to "Screamy Greenie" out of pure laziness.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 PM

4,098 posts, read 1,840,527 times
I had a Ranger Splash, a truck with a flareside bed.
Named it Ric... Ric Flare.

Co-worker had a Grand Am.
Named it Jean-Claude... Jean-Claude Grand Am.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:21 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,080,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I had a Ranger Splash, a truck with a flareside bed.
Named it Ric... Ric Flare.

Co-worker had a Grand Am.
Named it Jean-Claude... Jean-Claude Grand Am.
LOL good ones for sure.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:11 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,171,089 times
I have a Prius C (the little Prius) and it's just so darn cute. It's known as the Aqua in Japan (where it's one of the best-selling cars).

I call it "C-Biscuit."

Old 11-20-2018, 09:13 AM

568 posts, read 269,912 times
Our SUV is named Towanda. My husband just calls her Wanda.

If you saw the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes, you most likely remember the character of Idgie Threadgoode played by Mary Stuart Masterson. Idgie was not your conventional young lady of the 1920’s. She was independent, self assured and had her own sense of right and wrong. If she decided to do something, she just did it, whether it was ‘appropriate’ or not. I enjoyed the movie and the book.

A couple times during the movie when she was doing something that she had been told was not proper, such as swimming in the river with a group of friends, mostly boys, she would yell out “Towanda,” kind of like someone else might yell out, “Geronimo.” It was her own personal battle cry.

Kathy Bates who portrays Evelyn Couch becomes friends with Ninny Threadgoode (Jessica Tandy) that she meets in a nursing home and Ninny shares the story of her life many years ago.

Later in the movie Evelyn has been driving around at the Winn Dixie grocery store looking for a parking place, finds one and is waiting on the man to back out when 2 young women whip around and steal it from her. Evelyn tells them she had been waiting on that spot and they tell her “Face it, lady. We’re younger and faster.”

So Evelyn smiles and says Towanda while she repeatedly hits their VW Bug and tells them “Face it, girls. I’m older and I have more insurance.”

Last edited by Over the hill gang; 11-20-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 09:58 AM

1,685 posts, read 585,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I have a Prius C (the little Prius) and it's just so darn cute. It's known as the Aqua in Japan (where it's one of the best-selling cars). I call it "C-Biscuit."

I did not know that about the Prius; thanks for my New Thing Learned Today!

Love the nickname too, even though a Prius (any Prius) is unlikely to seriously emulate a racehorse. (no diss intended, I too think they are cute although too small for moi.)

Old 11-26-2018, 06:17 AM

29,837 posts, read 34,924,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Back in the day (or even after) did you ever give your car(s) a name?

Don't know if this was a regional thing or not, but I'm curious how widespread the practice was. Recently I mentioned it to an email correspondent of the same age (late 60s/early 70s) and she claims never heard of anyone ever naming their car. She grew up in a farming community in California; I grew up in a NYC suburb.

I always thought it was a Baby Boomer generation thing but maybe it was indeed regional?

One of the kids on my block had a yellow 1960 Buick that he named the Big Banana, and a 1970s co-worker had a red Ford Pinto that she named the Tiki Torch after the whole exploding gas tank thing started (morbid, yes, but funny.)

The funny thing is that I never named my cars back in the day (60s, 70s, etc) but I did name my 2002 Lexus "Lexie" (how unoriginal, right? lol) after I'd had it about 8 years (kept it for 15.) However, my new ride which is a 2017 Honda was named Athena during her first week.

Anyone else who either did or still does name their car(s)?
Yes I have, sorta fun. Gotta be careful showing more love for one car over the other. Sometimes I think they can tell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or