U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 05:35 AM

1,630 posts, read 966,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nope not Fleetwood Mac . Once I have my dates I will let ya all know the details . I have to get back home to ny to finalize the details , we are down in Florida checking out the villages .
I am curious being big music lover. I used to date a musician so was always at practice sessions and gigs.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:44 AM

71,626 posts, read 71,777,271 times
I sent you a d/m

Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 AM

7,358 posts, read 3,044,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Do we really need another thread castigating poor people for being poor?

Oh, they have mortgages.....oh, they just wanted to live the good life without saving, oh, they had too many children, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah, that's why there are so many poor old people! It's their own damn fault!
It's just topic here. That's all. There are threads here about cats and vinyl siding.

I did some research and found there have been poor people for many years! The reasons for ones life predicaments are as varied as those being discussed here.

Some plan for the future and some don't. Some escape poverty and some cannot. All you can do is try your best, and don't make poor decisions intentionally!

When you are nearing the end, being safe and with a friend or two is the least you could hope for.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:26 AM

5,785 posts, read 4,841,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know...

In the 1980's one could discharge student load debts that had been in repayment for a certain time:
https://www.bankruptcysoapbox.com/st...n-discharge-2/

That decade would have been when tail end Boomers were entering college (those born late 1950's through early 1960's), and obviously enough of them were discharging student loans in bankruptcy court to make someone angry. Angry enough to get at Congress to begin shutting things down.

In the 1970's one could also discharge student loan debt in bankruptcy (which would cover quite a lot of boomer aged persons who attended college during that period). https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/histo...-steven-palmer

However as the above linked article makes clear the 1970's saw very low levels overall of student loan debt, so there weren't huge numbers of people drowning in student loan debt.

Part of reason for this lies with fact post war college/university costs were far more reasonable. Veterans had the GI Bill which footed much of the cost of higher education. For those that didn't while private colleges such as Ivy League may have been out of reach financially, there were plenty of high quality state/local universities where tuition was low or nearly free.
I agree with these facts. College was pretty cheap in the 70's, in-state tuition at state college was in the hundreds of dollars per semester, not the thousands. Many boomer males were drafted in the Viet Nam war and had GI Bill to pay for college. Lots of people just didn't attend college. High schools still had shop classes and other vocational programs. Some states had vocational high schools if your grades and interests put you on that track. So our generation (boomer), in general, didn't have tons of high student loans like they have today. Also, many people just didn't go because their families were never people that had attended college. When you come from a family that didn't place a high value on education, you just never even thought about it much. Obviously there were exceptions, but the big student loan debts started later than the boomer generation.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 AM

71,626 posts, read 71,777,271 times
The big debt was not usually from local schools .it was the fact kids wanted to go away to school . All our kids went local for under 4K a year. Their friends were racking up 25k a year at out of town colleges getting useless degrees

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-08-2018 at 07:06 AM..

Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 AM

31,680 posts, read 19,975,978 times
Quote:
The big debt was not usually from local schools .it was the fact kids wanted to go away to school . All our kids went local for under 4K a year. Their friends were racking up 25k a year at out of town colleges getting useless degrees
Meh, our daughter went out of state for a useless degree, and her first job after grad is 50k in a low cost of living state. She finished a year early, and it was good for her to get off the island to expand her horizons.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 11-08-2018, 07:44 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Meh, our daughter went out of state for a useless degree, and her first job after grad is 50k in a low cost of living state. She finished a year early, and it was good for her to get off the island to expand her horizons.
When did she graduate?

One of my cousins graduated last year with a degree in women's studies. She has an entry level HR job paying about $35k. My uncle is still supporting her financially to an extent.

I started off at about $30,000 when I graduated in 2010, but had to commute a hundred miles roundtrip to get that. There was no advancement potential at that site either.

When I got that job in Indiana, most of my coworkers had resumes and degrees similar to mine. None of them started out at such a low wage. Payscales were higher across the board in Indiana.

It really all depends on where you live.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 AM

8,859 posts, read 5,136,100 times
Quote:
I just accepted an offer to do a set with a very well known group on their 50th anniversary tour . So now I am ending the last down of life like I started my working career
Wow, what an honor! Congrats. I'm looking forward to hearing the dets..

Old 11-08-2018, 07:49 AM

8,859 posts, read 5,136,100 times
Oh, is it Tower of Power? (Guess I should have said "I can't wait to hear the dets").

Old 11-08-2018, 07:52 AM

31,680 posts, read 19,975,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
When did she graduate?

One of my cousins graduated last year with a degree in women's studies. She has an entry level HR job paying about $35k. My uncle is still supporting her financially to an extent.

I started off at about $30,000 when I graduated in 2010, but had to commute a hundred miles roundtrip to get that. There was no advancement potential at that site either.

When I got that job in Indiana, most of my coworkers had resumes and degrees similar to mine. None of them started out at such a low wage. Payscales were higher across the board in Indiana.

It really all depends on where you live.
A couple months ago. She JUST turned 21.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement