U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 08:24 AM

7,251 posts, read 4,136,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nope not Fleetwood Mac . Once I have my dates I will let ya all know the details . I have to get back home to ny to finalize the details , we are down in Florida checking out the villages .

I thought you had no intention of leaving NYC after your last vacation home experience.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 AM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nope not Fleetwood Mac . Once I have my dates I will let ya all know the details . I have to get back home to ny to finalize the details , we are down in Florida checking out the villages .

My wife wants to beat me with the sticks lol. She unpacked my suitcase and saw a brought a practice pad , my sticks and a metronome on our trip. Ha ha ha . Hey she was the enabler right?
Does she worry you might have groupies follow you once you are in a band. Isnít that what most males want to join the rock band for? My kid used to date one who was in a band, thatís one of his motivation.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:41 AM

71,550 posts, read 71,712,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I thought you had no intention of leaving NYC after your last vacation home experience.
We won’t leave nyc at this point But that does not mean if we like it we won’t rent in the winter for 4-8 weeks

Old 11-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
When did she graduate?

One of my cousins graduated last year with a degree in women's studies. She has an entry level HR job paying about $35k. My uncle is still supporting her financially to an extent.

I started off at about $30,000 when I graduated in 2010, but had to commute a hundred miles roundtrip to get that. There was no advancement potential at that site either.

When I got that job in Indiana, most of my coworkers had resumes and degrees similar to mine. None of them started out at such a low wage. Payscales were higher across the board in Indiana.

It really all depends on where you live.
When one of my kids graduated in 2012, she survived in LA with much less income than $35K. It called having 2 other roommates. She paid $700 a month for rent. We only paid cell phone and car insurance, plus she was on our healthcare. She did enjoy her life, not a hard ship.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:42 AM

31,651 posts, read 19,962,004 times
The daughter referenced before shares a house with 5 others, mainly because they want to live together, but the financial benefits are appealing to them also.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 11-08-2018, 08:43 AM

71,550 posts, read 71,712,424 times
S
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Does she worry you might have groupies follow you once you are in a band. Isn’t that what most males want to join the rock band for? My kid used to date one who was in a band, that’s one of his motivation.
She will be there lol .

The only reason I became a drummer in my early teens was the girls. Yeah , my dad was a pro drummer , but it wasn’t love of music that motivated me .. Lol

Boy it was a great career choice too in those days ,until I really began to hate the life. So much so I went cold turkey for more than 30 years avoiding playing and the business

Old 11-08-2018, 08:48 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
When one of my kids graduated in 2012, she survived in LA with much less income than $35K. It called having 2 other roommates. She paid $700 a month for rent. We only paid cell phone and car insurance, plus she was on our healthcare. She did enjoy her life, not a hard ship.
Can people of any age get by if the pile in with a ton of roommates on a low salary? Sure. Is it a lifestyle one would want, especially as they age? Not really.

I have no desire to live with anyone other than a romantic partner. It might be fine for a kid's first job out of college, but at 32, I have no desire to live that way.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:05 AM

13,903 posts, read 7,400,560 times
Quote:
Can people of any age get by if the pile in with a ton of roommates on a low salary? Sure. Is it a lifestyle one would want, especially as they age? Not really.

I have no desire to live with anyone other than a romantic partner. It might be fine for a kid's first job out of college, but at 32, I have no desire to live that way.

Golden Girls isn't just a 1980s/early 1990s TV show. It's kind of inevitable that a ton of Boomer retirees are going to have to opt for group living situations since so many are going to have no savings and nothing but a Social Security check for income. This isn't about "desire". It's economic necessity. As reproductive rates continue to drop, more and more elderly won't have children to help.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:

That’s your choice. But don’t come here complaining. My sister for years rent just a room, like Airbnb today, from a family, up to age 35. Her income was low to very low, she knew she would be single, not married, she had to make priority, her savings was a priority. Yet she only managed to save 4% of her low income. Last time I had a glimpse of her 401k, it was near 3/4 of a million, plus she has 3 houses to her own name. But she has always been 100% invested in the stock market.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:20 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,984 times
Quote:
Does she worry you might have groupies follow you once you are in a band. Isnít that what most males want to join the rock band for? My kid used to date one who was in a band, thatís one of his motivation.
The best comment I heard on that, is when we were young and on the road, we would think "I hope they show us their breasts!", now at our age, we think "I hope they don't show us their breasts!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement