U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 02:38 AM

5,432 posts, read 2,758,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Does she worry you might have groupies follow you once you are in a band. Isn’t that what most males want to join the rock band for? My kid used to date one who was in a band, that’s one of his motivation.
I have a friend who used to play with his band all the time in bars. There were groupies, but he said it was their boyfriends and husbands he worried about more than his wife worried about him. LOL Plus he didn't drink or smoke. I guess it can be done.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:57 AM

71,490 posts, read 71,652,652 times
I was never into drugs or drinking either . I don’t like the taste of alcohol . But I admit it , I was a tramp . Lol

Some shots of what I think was my 1975 tour

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-09-2018 at 04:00 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 03:19 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Safe withdrawal rates are already based on horrible outcomes
Since you mentioned it, is it 'Dire Straits' ?

Old 11-09-2018, 03:42 AM

1,656 posts, read 1,521,661 times
Start growing your hair in case you get the gig. Assume you will need new threads. Lots of black. Marilyn may need a makeover too.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:52 AM

Omg .. last week I was in the drum studio after I found out I was going to do the show. Marilyn had gone to the lady’s room and left her pocketbook .

So I decide I am going to prank her . I grab her lipstick and start making lightning bolts on my face like tattoos .

She comes back and sees something on my face . She is like what is all over your face . I go I made lightning bolt tattoos .

She goes you moron , that is not lipstick ,that is my expensive cover up stick . Oh man she was not happy about that ha ha ha. Plus when I looked in the mirror you could not even see them. That did not end well ha ha ha

Old 11-09-2018, 05:20 AM

10,321 posts, read 9,369,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, I've told my story before, so briefly. My union scammed it's members out of my biggest savings amount, my 401k. I was in the process of building it back up when an illness I had for many years became debilitating and I had to quit work. I was living in a very high COL city at the time that was becoming a more and more expensive a place to live. My salary never kept up with the ever increasing COL.

I was always a very frugal person. My parents taught me that, and a good saver. But although I tried to recoup what I had lost it was just never enough to replace it. Part of the reason was the out of pocket medical expenses I had to shell out the times my employer coverage didn't pay or when I was out of work between the time I quit my last job and Medicare kicked in. Other savings went to keeping up with that ever increasing COL.

Had my money not been stolen, my story would have been very different. But we can't always control what happens to us. As it turned out though, my story is now a happy one. I am in a good place. It just goes to show, that things can get better. So I guess it turned out that maybe I didn't need all that I had lost to make a good life in the first place.
Back on topic . . . this excellent posting is typical of many who came across hard times for a variety of reasons. There is no one answer as to why anyone is struggling financially.

Amazing are those who chastise and/or judge. And there are those who boast of their so-called financial success (which can be destroyed in a heartbeat).

Old 11-09-2018, 05:27 AM

1,371 posts, read 461,700 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We camp frequently in the spring and fall. Mostly, we camp at federal campgrounds or boondock but occasionally we stay at a private RV Park. The ones at the RV parks have big shiny new Class As or new trucks hauling behemoth fifth wheels or trailers. These people retired well and have no worries unless they are mortgaged to the hilt. Ditto, state parks or national parks. At boondocking spots or federal campgrounds we see the more wealthy occasionally but a number of the campers have older RVs that may be what remains and all they can afford. They may have lost a large portion of their net worth to the 2008 recession or medical bills, divorce as others have mentioned.
"forest bathing!" there's much to be said for that

Old 11-09-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Back on topic . . . this excellent posting is typical of many who came across hard times for a variety of reasons. There is no one answer as to why anyone is struggling financially.

Amazing are those who chastise and/or judge. And there are those who boast of their so-called financial success (which can be destroyed in a heartbeat).
The truth is many successful people lost their success and money at one time or another . But many just go right back to doing it again.

The same way lack of success for many just replicates itself , like those who pay off credit cards and just get in to debt over and over , success for many also replicates .

Many of us already lost huge chunks of what we had either from divorce .illness or job loss ,even at late ages , and bounced back to even higher levels . I was in my fifties when I got divorced and had half my assets left .

Others battle job loss or illness and bounce back. At least one of these major financial disasters just about get all of us at some point . It isn’t like many of us escape the big three . The difference is how we prepare going in ,how we come out of it and what we do going forward.

So it is not so much these major events , as I dare to say almost all of us expirienced job loss ,illness or divorce later in life . The differences are in the outcomes going forward.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-09-2018 at 05:51 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 06:28 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
I have several female friends who would consider a Golden Girls arrangement if they end up alone in later life. They can live alone financially, but with not a lot left over for travel or fun. Strangely, several of them were all divorced within about a 4 year window. Some have remarried, or have live-in men. But if left alone again they would happily become roommates to have more discretionary income and company in old age. We are friends of many years (some for 20, others for 35+) and we all know each others bad habits, so there would have to be ground rules... LOL

I've even considered the idea that if left alone, I might get an apartment or condo, and if a friend also has one, and then we could periodically swap condos for a seasonal change of venue. We could even overlap our time for a while f, just or a fun time together. Lots of possibilities I suppose, if things ever changed.

I'm not averse to changing my location or housing style if it became a necessity, or even just to free up some money if I wanted to travel, or just to downsize for simplicity. So many seniors are insistent on aging in place. Not me. I want to do what makes the most sense financially, and gives me a pleasant lifestyle.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:28 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
You can never retire if you have a mortgage.
I have a mortgage. I am retired. (Disclaimer, I work part-time, but I don't rely on the PT money to meet necessary expenses.)

I bought a condo at 52, knowing the 30-year mortgage would probably outlive me. But I made sure my monthly payment would be manageable on my pension and did not listen to the real estate people and their financial cohorts who urged me to buy something more expensive "because you have a good salary".

Who cares if I have a mortgage? I'd have had to pay rent anyway, and it's not much different.

Talking to the guy now about refinancing to a 15-year, so I might have a shot at outliving it after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement