U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 03:15 PM

8,871 posts, read 5,143,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They can do that but they are likely better off downsizing in that area . This is a story that repeats over and over .

When someone is so low on funds to require preselling the house it rarely ends well . Over the years the bills only get bigger and bigger and expenses rise and they drained the house equity only to not be able to afford the house anyway only now they have nothing to sell.

It is going to be individual dependent but anyone that desperate for more money is likely going to make a bad mistake
Well, I completely agree that the decision is individual dependent.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:24 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,075,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Wrong! I have been traveling the country for months. I know a great many areas where houses and COL are cheap, mainly because the jobs are gone. Many of those places are great for retirees with little money.
Oh I am sure the houses are cheap but are they desirable locations to live? If the jobs are gone, then the crime is high and there might not be the amenities you want.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:26 PM

8,871 posts, read 5,143,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I am a sahm and I won't "take in" children of working mothers and care for them while the moms go to work. That's not my purpose in life. I stay home to care for my own family and I don't care how selfish some think that is. I'm not a free babysitter just because I stay home with my kids. Even women in my mother's generation didn't give free childcare every day to other parents. I'm not familiar with this as a common practice at all.

It's not acceptable to think that one can drop off their child at a sahm's house and get free childcare or drop off an elderly parent to get free elder care. It's disrespectful and rude to assume a stay at home mother should just give free caregiving services. Women are not doormats.
She said "home based business"; that does not indicate free caregiving services on demand to all takers.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:35 PM

71,735 posts, read 71,853,273 times
Quote:
Wrong! I have been traveling the country for months. I know a great many areas where houses and COL are cheap, mainly because the jobs are gone. Many of those places are great for retirees with little money.
Jobs ,wages and home prices are usually joined at the hip. The homes in these low cost areas can be very nice . They are cheap because wages are low.

I saw many low cost areas in pa with low crime and decent lifestyles but it can be hard to find anything but mom and pop stores to work in so they become more retiree oriented. Pottsville comes to mind . It is economically depressed but safe and has nice homes

Old 11-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 15 days ago)

9,609 posts, read 3,676,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
She said "home based business"; that does not indicate free caregiving services on demand to all takers.
You did not understand either one of these posts.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:41 PM

15,253 posts, read 8,548,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It might be the best answer if money is the only consideration, but some people prefer to stay where their families and friends are.
Yes....but. Their family may end up moving anyway. The family may be better able to spend money on a few visits than for you to be continually over your budget and in debt just staying in the area. And visits back to the hi COL area may be a lot cheaper than high expenses every single month from living there.
Finally, family is not always everything. Sometimes family is a fantasy and you don't see that much of them anyway so moving would not change all that much. People have to be open to at least considering their options.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:43 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,075,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Jobs ,wages and home prices are usually joined at the hip. The homes in these low cost areas can be very nice . They are cheap because wages are low.

I saw many low cost areas in pa with low crime and decent lifestyles but it can be hard to find anything but mom and pop stores to work in so they become more retiree oriented. Pottsville comes to mind . It is economically depressed but safe and has nice homes
Isn't Yuengling beer made in Pottsville? I would think they would employ quite a few with some spin off industry supporting the brewery.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:44 PM

605 posts, read 189,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You did not understand either one of these posts.
After a failed attempt to correct petunia, you are now making a false accusation instead of owning it.
It is you who did not understand. Or you do understand just fine

The post indicated taking in children for $$. Not for free. You should know, you quoted that post. It is linked below.
Attached Thumbnails
Poor senior citizens.-screen-shot-2018-11-10-2.41.33  

Old 11-10-2018, 03:52 PM

71,735 posts, read 71,853,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Isn't Yuengling beer made in Pottsville? I would think they would employ quite a few with some spin off industry supporting the brewery.
Yes they are there . But that is about the extent of it and most of the wages paid are low . Employers only need match the competition and if local wages are low they stay low.

If you look , they have one local job open

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-10-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 04:30 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,138,865 times
Quote:
I can. In fact it is easy to see the world is suffering from the global population boom. The last thing needed are more high count breeders.
A multigenerational family does not require a large number of children. The point I was making is just as valid if the family has only one or two. This thread is about retirees who are ‘poor’ and often alone, despite the fact that they have both children and grandchildren. In every other culture on Earth this is considered morally reprehensible, and the disintegration of the family in N. America is no less so.

Shabbat Shalom,

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement