U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 06:42 PM

6,248 posts, read 4,728,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Oh I am sure the houses are cheap but are they desirable locations to live? If the jobs are gone, then the crime is high and there might not be the amenities you want.
It seems you are thinking of blighted urban areas. I am thinking of small towns where crime is low.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Back on topic . . . this excellent posting is typical of many who came across hard times for a variety of reasons. There is no one answer as to why anyone is struggling financially.

Amazing are those who chastise and/or judge. And there are those who boast of their so-called financial success (which can be destroyed in a heartbeat).
Amen, I admit in my weaker moments I wish them to become disabled and have some kind of devastating financial hardship - just to humble them into understanding the hardship of others.

I can't stand the ego and judgmental attitude of those who have been blessed, using their good fortune as a comparison to those who have not been blessed - to judge them harshly.

Just, shame on them. And I admit, I wouldn't mind if they had a hardship that humbled them.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:57 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I was never into drugs or drinking either . I donít like the taste of alcohol . But I admit it , I was a tramp . Lol

Some shots of what I think was my 1975 tour

Okay, big whoop. You were one of the kids who decided to get into the drugs/hippy culture who had rich families. I knew them. I went to school with them at a private school. But, my dad worked two jobs so I could go to that school. I was the low income kid.

My folks couldn't afford to send us all to college, so the boy of the family got to go. I had to work and go to school, if I wanted to go, and of course, married young and had a kid, etc., etc., etc.

So, just because you embraced the hippy/drug culture, has nothing to do with you not being blessed with an easier life.

It also does not give you any kind of right to feel superior to anyone who hasn't been blessed with your good financial fortune.

It just irks me to no end how people like you tend to criticize anyone who has not had your good fortune, as being somehow lazier or dumber than you.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:25 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Okay, big whoop. You were one of the kids who decided to get into the drugs/hippy culture who had rich families. I knew them. I went to school with them at a private school. But, my dad worked two jobs so I could go to that school. I was the low income kid.

My folks couldn't afford to send us all to college, so the boy of the family got to go. I had to work and go to school, if I wanted to go, and of course, married young and had a kid, etc., etc., etc.

So, just because you embraced the hippy/drug culture, has nothing to do with you not being blessed with an easier life.

It also does not give you any kind of right to feel superior to anyone who hasn't been blessed with your good financial fortune.

It just irks me to no end how people like you tend to criticize anyone who has not had your good fortune, as being somehow lazier or dumber than you.

My parents didn't pay a dime for my college. I also saw plenty of single moms who were on their own and put themselves through college. Some people find a way to make it happen, the rest come up with excuses.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:30 PM

8,842 posts, read 5,129,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You did not understand either one of these posts.
Respectfully, I think it was you who misunderstood.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:40 PM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,225,729 times
Quote:

I don't think that mathjak had a rich family or an easy early life. If I remember correctly, he grew up in the projects.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:50 PM

2,907 posts, read 1,586,973 times
Quote:

I've learned not to post if I'm "in a mood" & half the bottle of merlot is finished.

Signed,

Old "hippy/drug culture" guy

Old 11-10-2018, 07:56 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,194,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think itís been years since most people who have pensions would assume other people have pensions. Pensions are a thing in the past. Thatís why we have 401k, IRA, etc..
Except about half of workers do not have access to them. Oregon and some other States are trying to provide them to all employees.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:09 PM

13,225 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Except about half of workers do not have access to them. Oregon and some other States are trying to provide them to all employees.
Everybody has access to IRA, through the tax return. I know my kid is sort of self-employed and she and her partner decided not to do 401k nor SEP. but they do contribute to IRA or Roth IRA.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:17 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
100% my feeling .that is just nonsense by retirement
C'mon, guyz. We are not talking about the retiree's OWN loans. We are talking about "Parent Plus" loans, a ruse devised by the banking-academic-legislative establishment to put lipstick on the pig of parents guaranteeing student loans for their kidz.

THOSE are suffocating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement