U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:07 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,457,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
In some states, as long as your home stays on wheels your property can be considered vacation property, and you pay a lower tax rate.
My vacation properties pay a HIGHER tax rate than my neighbors for whom their house is their primary residence. I guess it depends where you are.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:08 AM

4,685 posts, read 3,256,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
So, are your writing to us from the grave or the poor house? How are you living right now? What is the secret, amongst all your strife, to being able to have a computer and internet access and spare time to spend on a retirement forum?

Wow, judgemental/jealous?

No, not from the grave. From a one-bedroom low-income apartment that is very nice. My income is SS and two small retirement accounts.

I did go bankrupt a year ago.

I am retired. I do have some medical problems that prevent me from looking for a job. Eye problems.

I sure am glad I don't know you. IMHO, you are not the kind of person I would call a friend.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,457,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
... the rhythm method.
I prefer the scientific term for the Rhythm Method: Parenthood.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 AM

4,685 posts, read 3,256,586 times
^^^^^^^^ Good one!!

Old 11-12-2018, 08:45 AM

1,906 posts, read 677,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Wow, judgemental/jealous?

No, not from the grave. From a one-bedroom low-income apartment that is very nice. My income is SS and two small retirement accounts.

I did go bankrupt a year ago.

I am retired. I do have some medical problems that prevent me from looking for a job. Eye problems.

I sure am glad I don't know you. IMHO, you are not the kind of person I would call a friend.
Im not judging. You are constantly giving us snippets of your life without relating it to anything that anyone reading the thread can use to help them cope with living off of a fixed income.

I wrote about RVing. Although not everyone can benefit from what I wrote, or may not agree with it, it is something I know about from my poor youth spent living out of a pickup truck with a camper shell.

Im glad you don't know me too. You don't come off as a very nice person, nor do you give anyone any info they can use unless they are reading your posts in the hope of finding someone to feel sorry for. Im not looking for someone to feel sorry for. Im looking for helpful information which you obviously don't have any.

I am looking for ideas on how to live retirement on the cheap. I don't think that RVing is the way to go for me, for reasons already stated. I wont need to live on the cheap straight out of the gate, but none of us know what life will bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
My vacation properties pay a HIGHER tax rate than my neighbors for whom their house is their primary residence. I guess it depends where you are.
It may also depend on if you are renting those properties for income, and if you have more than 1 vacation property. But yeah, I did say some states. I cant speak for all.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:48 AM

71,777 posts, read 71,875,234 times
Most of us all live off a fixed income.in fact anyone working is living off a fixed income if they work for someone else .

At least seniors get cola adjustments and their premium increases are capped .

Those working really are living on a fixed income with no guaranteed cola increases and no cap on premiums if they got no raise . That is one term that is really meaningless in a way.

I AM LIVING ON A FIXED INCOME

Old 11-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Most of us all live off a fixed income.in fact anyone working is living off a fixed income if they work for someone else .

At least seniors get cola adjustments and their premium increases are capped .

Those working really are living on a fixed income with no guaranteed cola increases and no cap on premiums if they got no raise . That is one term that is really meaningless in a way.

I AM LIVING ON A FIXED INCOME
You are right, but when I retire I will be living off of a smaller fixed income. I get between 2.6 and 3% pay increase every year and also can seem to work unlimited OT at the moment. That wont be available to me in retirement. And, SS has been known to skip those COL adjustments a time or two as well, not to mention, have they ever really kept up with the cost of living truly?

Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 AM

Colas only track a basket of goods and services within the 1500 mini economies that make up this country . They are strictly to take the country wide temperature against a benchmark of price changes . It will never nor is it supposed to track anyone’s personal cost of living. In fact it can’t because it does not consider how many times you use what you use or the quality of what you buy
Higher quality goods see more price inflation but may last longer
We are all going to be under or over .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-12-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 AM

The Consumer Price Index measures the average change over time in the prices paid by consumers for a market basket goods and services. Inflation is the general increase in the cost of goods and services.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018...uld-be-th.aspx

It looks like those in retirement who exist solely on SS may have something to look forward to.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:34 AM

The problem is it is a PRICE CHANGE INDEX NOT A COST OF LIVING INDEX .

What determines a personal cost of living index is which goods and services you use , how many times you buy those items , the quality and durability of what you buy ,how you make substitutions . The index assumes a very narrow range of subs . In life I swap a lot out if the price is high . If ice cream is not on sale and pudding is I will buy pudding.the CPI never assumes things like that .

Seniors also have an added factor . As we age we donít do or buy a lot of things . A lot of that offsets rises up n what does go up . So studies show seniors actually see a lot less inflation after the early go go years and enter the slow go years . It ramps up again in the no go years because of health care .

The CPI is only the price change portion .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-12-2018 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement