U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:34 AM

4,680 posts, read 3,250,875 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^ Regarding those who are living on SS having something to look forward to..

We do not get yearly increases in our SS. I can't remember how long it has been since the last one.
Meanwhile, the rent goes up. Medicare goes up. Groceries go up. etc., etc.

So those who are living on SS are not getting a great deal.

And so far, you are the only one that I know of who has complained about my snippets.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:05 AM

71,703 posts, read 71,829,507 times
Ss was never meant to match anyone’s personal cost of living nor be their sole support . The fact it may have worked out that way for some does not change what ss was meant to be- which is an insurance.

Don’t forget that when inflation was so low and there ere no colas many places did not see much rise .

Here in nyc as an example more than half of all rentals are stabilized . Millions saw no rent increases for 2 years .

Plus if you are stabilized and income is under 50k and rent is more than 30 or 35% you are exempt from rent increases forever as long as you qualify

My sister in Arizona refinanced at the low in rates . Her total expenses are less than 10 years ago .

So you can never use ss as a guide for matching someone’s personal cost of living .

I am retired 3-1/2 years and still have not needed an nflation raise . Somethings went up and some things down.
That may be the opposite of what you saw in your area .

So are all different in cost of living .most of what is tracked in the CPI over the 1500 mini economies we may have no use for as well .

You can’t blame ss for not matching your own locations cost of living or on what you buy ,that is not its function nor could it ever be .

If it was linked to us , some seniors would be reduced through certain ages as their spending tends to slow no longer doing or buying many things as a group .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-12-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 AM

1,906 posts, read 676,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Ss was never meant to match anyone’s personal cost of living nor be their sole support . The fact it may have worked out that way for some does not change what ss was meant to be- which is an insurance.

Don’t forget that when inflation was so low and there ere no colas many places did not see much rise .

Here in nyc as an example more than half of all rentals are stabilized . Millions saw no rent increases for 2 years .

Plus if you are stabilized and income is under 50k and rent is more than 30 or 35% you are exempt from rent increases forever as long as you qualify

My sister in Arizona refinanced at the low in rates . Her total expenses are less than 10 years ago .

So you can never use ss as a guide for matching someone’s personal cost of living .

I am retired 3-1/2 years and still have not needed an nflation raise . Somethings went up and some things down. We are all different in cost of living .most of what is tracked in the CPI over the 1500 mini economies we may have no use for.

You can’t blame ss for not matching your own locations cost of living or on what you buy ,that is not its function nor could it ever be .

If it was seniors would be reduced through certain ages as their spending tends to slow no longer doing or buying many things as a group .

The first bolded statement I am not sure I agree with. SS came out of a program designed for disabled Civil War veterans and their widows and orphans. It became the nations first pension plan during the great depression. It must have been intended to cover the basic needs of those 65 and older as well as disabled veterans and widows and orphans.

The second bolded statement I definitely agree with. I can sell my home in NYC for about 1.5M and retire right now, moving to more amiable economies like in Texas or Kentucky as an example. If I retired next month, I would be entitled to approx. 1K per month pension. In 2 1/2 more years I could access an additional aprox $500 per month from a tax-deferred annuity, and 2 to 3 years after that SS.

Im not sure how much SS I would get if I stop working 5 to 6 years prior to age 62, when I would be collecting early. If I work right up until 62, I would get about $900 a month. If I knew my SS wouldn't take to big of a hit, Id say Im an idiot for not retiring right now, lol.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 11-12-2018 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 10:42 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Your post, as I read it, sounds like any woman can be a stay at home mother, it's her choice. You made no specifications.

In my case I did not have a choice, in my opinion. Unless I was OK with my husband leaving me if I quit my job. And I knew I would be taking care of the kids. It pretty much put me in a corner.

In my opinion I did not have the luxury of being a stay at home Mom. He took that choice away from me.
I don't see where you had much choice either. You'd have had to work as a single mother anyway if your husband had left you, as I doubt with his attitude he'd have given you enough child support and alimony to pay the bills and still stay home with the kids.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:46 AM

5,789 posts, read 4,846,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Im not judging. You are constantly giving us snippets of your life without relating it to anything that anyone reading the thread can use to help them cope with living off of a fixed income.

I wrote about RVing. Although not everyone can benefit from what I wrote, or may not agree with it, it is something I know about from my poor youth spent living out of a pickup truck with a camper shell.

Im glad you don't know me too. You don't come off as a very nice person, nor do you give anyone any info they can use unless they are reading your posts in the hope of finding someone to feel sorry for. Im not looking for someone to feel sorry for. Im looking for helpful information which you obviously don't have any.

I am looking for ideas on how to live retirement on the cheap. I don't think that RVing is the way to go for me, for reasons already stated. I wont need to live on the cheap straight out of the gate, but none of us know what life will bring.

It may also depend on if you are renting those properties for income, and if you have more than 1 vacation property. But yeah, I did say some states. I cant speak for all.
Well, I can tell you that there are many programs to assist seniors "living on the cheap".
First, if your income is low enough, you may qualify for a subsidized apartment priced at a percentage (I think 30%ish) of your total income.

There are food assistance programs like SNAP (used to be called food stamps). Studies show that of seniors eligible for SNAP, only about 30% participate. There are also food banks and groups like the Good Samaritan place we have here where you can get food, a voucher for their thrift store, low cost or free glasses through the Lions and other services. Find neighbors with whom you could share a Costco membership and split the bulk size goods between you to eliminate waste. Cook more from scratch and less convenience foods. Find out if there is a Senior Gleaners in your area that distributes food to low income folks. Sign up for meals on wheels.

For electricity and heating, there is LIHEAP which gives you a check a couple times a year to pay towards your utility bills. Utility companies have a low income rate which gives you a baseline amount of energy at about a 30% discount. Many companies have other incentive programs like a discount for allowing them to control your summer A/C. Get a free energy audit from your utility company to find areas where your home is less than energy efficient. Many utilities have programs for low income individuals to weatherize their home for free.

Phone companies have a limited income, low usage type plan. There are many ways to save on cell phone service through companies like Consumer Cellular, Cricket, Metro PCS, etc. Some people use VOIP for landline service.

Cable TV costs can be eliminated by going to a digital antenna for local channels, and low costs services like Hulu or Netflix for movies and other great programs and channels.

Sell unused items through Craigslist, Ebay, Letgo, Nextdoor, etc. You'd be surprised by the things just cluttering up your garage or basement that you can sell for at least a few bucks or more when funds are dwindling at the end of the month. These could include unused appliances, small boats and camping equipment, baby stuff like cribs and high chairs, furniture, sports equipment, old jewelry, etc. You'll be easing your cleaning and maintenance needs at the same time. We have a yard sale just to reduce clutter every year and usually clear about $700 for one day's work. We have often bought really screaming deals at yard sales and resold them at their appropriate price through Craigslist or Nextdoor

Share a home or two or more bedroom apartment or duplex with a friend and split the rent and utilities. If you own a home and it's large enough to rent out a room, consider finding another nice senior you know who might rent a room from you. Rent in a senior mobile home park, many have amenities and activities.

If you like to RV part of the year, you can work as a camp host at many campgrounds and camp for free, some are even paying gigs. You can find seasonal park jobs through the websites of the contracted concessionaires at national and state parks. Check out coolworks.com for seasonal gigs at parks, ski resorts, tourist attractions, etc.

So many possibilites....combining even a few of these ideas can save you a ton, or make you some extra bucks.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:46 AM

8,860 posts, read 5,141,353 times
Quote:
People - men and women - have had the ability to make conscious choices regarding reproduction since the mid-70s. Throngs of them still don't. But, you still hear throngs of people lauding the benefits of single parenthood, as if they actually have no clue that there is anything better to be had.
I've never heard even ONE person "laud the benefits of single parenthood". Throngs of single parents make the best of their situations and do the best job parenting that they can, but "laud the benefits"? Will you please name just one of these people, for my benefit?

Quote:
I was married, am now widowed, did not reproduce, and my retirement future looks bright. But, that is also by the grace of God.
Oh, why didn't you just say you were one of those "experts" who have no actual experience in their area of expertise? That way, people can immediately give your expert opinion the exact amount of consideration it deserves.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,452,062 times
Quote:
It may also depend on if you are renting those properties for income, and if you have more than 1 vacation property. But yeah, I did say some states. I cant speak for all.
In the location to which I refer, the county levies a much higher property tax rate on non-primary residences (vacation homes). If you rent it out short term (nightly or by the week) or month-to-month, your property tax rate is much higher. If, however, you rent it out and there is a minimum year-long lease, then your property tax rate is the same as if it were your primary residence.

The local county government's objective is to encourage landlords to offer year-long leases in support of the permanent local labor force rather than renting out by the week to vacationers or seasonal workers (many of whom come from Latin America just for the 17 weeks of the ski season)

This is classic taxation without representation. Because the home is not my primary residence, I cannot vote in local elections on things such as local bond measures that my taxes must repay or on elected representatives who determine my tax rate.

In this community, about 2/3 of the homes are non-primary residences, most of which are vacation homes. The permanent residents are only too happy to vote for things that are mostly paid for by out-of-state property owners. One property owner complained in a letter-to-the-editor of the local community paper that he was paying nearly $100,000 per year in property taxes on his vacation home, and it would be less than $25,000 per year if he were to rent it out with a year-long lease or if he relocated to make it his primary residence. As you might imagine, he didn't get much sympathy. #FirstWorldProblems.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...elections.aspx

Old 11-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Well, I can tell you that there are many programs to assist seniors "living on the cheap".
First, if your income is low enough, you may qualify for a subsidized apartment priced at a percentage (I think 30%ish) of your total income.

There are food assistance programs like SNAP (used to be called food stamps). Studies show that of seniors eligible for SNAP, only about 30% participate. There are also food banks and groups like the Good Samaritan place we have here where you can get food, a voucher for their thrift store, low cost or free glasses through the Lions and other services. Find neighbors with whom you could share a Costco membership and split the bulk size goods between you to eliminate waste. Cook more from scratch and less convenience foods. Find out if there is a Senior Gleaners in your area that distributes food to low income folks. Sign up for meals on wheels.

For electricity and heating, there is LIHEAP which gives you a check a couple times a year to pay towards your utility bills. Utility companies have a low income rate which gives you a baseline amount of energy at about a 30% discount. Many companies have other incentive programs like a discount for allowing them to control your summer A/C. Get a free energy audit from your utility company to find areas where your home is less than energy efficient. Many utilities have programs for low income individuals to weatherize their home for free.

Phone companies have a limited income, low usage type plan. There are many ways to save on cell phone service through companies like Consumer Cellular, Cricket, Metro PCS, etc. Some people use VOIP for landline service.

Cable TV costs can be eliminated by going to a digital antenna for local channels, and low costs services like Hulu or Netflix for movies and other great programs and channels.

Sell unused items through Craigslist, Ebay, Letgo, Nextdoor, etc. You'd be surprised by the things just cluttering up your garage or basement that you can sell for at least a few bucks or more when funds are dwindling at the end of the month. These could include unused appliances, small boats and camping equipment, baby stuff like cribs and high chairs, furniture, sports equipment, old jewelry, etc. You'll be easing your cleaning and maintenance needs at the same time. We have a yard sale just to reduce clutter every year and usually clear about $700 for one day's work. We have often bought really screaming deals at yard sales and resold them at their appropriate price through Craigslist or Nextdoor

Share a home or two or more bedroom apartment or duplex with a friend and split the utilities.

Im not going to qualify for anything subsidized unless I am bound and determined to remain in my home. This post has certainly brought ideas to the forefront for me. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
In the location to which I refer, the county levies a much higher property tax rate on non-primary residences (vacation homes). If you rent it out short term (nightly or by the week) or month-to-month, your property tax rate is much higher. If, however, you rent it out and there is a minimum year-long lease, then your property tax rate is the same as if it were your primary residence.

The local county government's objective is to encourage landlords to offer year-long leases in support of the permanent local labor force rather than renting out by the week to vacationers or seasonal workers (many of whom come from Latin America just for the 17 weeks of the ski season)

This is classic taxation without representation. Because the home is not my primary residence, I cannot vote in local elections on things such as local bond measures that my taxes must repay or on elected representatives who determine my tax rate.

In this community, about 2/3 of the homes are non-primary residences, most of which are vacation homes. The permanent residents are only too happy to vote for things that are mostly paid for by out-of-state property owners. One property owner complained in a letter-to-the-editor of the local community paper that he was paying nearly $100,000 per year in property taxes on his vacation home, and it would be less than $25,000 per year if he were to rent it out with a year-long lease or if he relocated to make it his primary residence. As you might imagine, he didn't get much sympathy. #FirstWorldProblems.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...elections.aspx
Do they allow mobile homes in the county? A bone of contention for the places I know is the vacation dwelling being on wheels.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:02 AM

71,703 posts, read 71,829,507 times
Quote:
The first bolded statement I am not sure I agree with. SS came out of a program designed for disabled Civil War veterans and their widows and orphans. It became the nations first pension plan during the great depression. It must have been intended to cover the basic needs of those 65 and older as well as disabled veterans and widows and orphans.

The second bolded statement I definitely agree with. I can sell my home in NYC for about 1.5M and retire right now, moving to more amiable economies like in Texas or Kentucky as an example. If I retired next month, I would be entitled to approx. 1K per month pension. In 2 1/2 more years I could access an additional aprox $500 per month from a tax-deferred annuity, and 2 to 3 years after that SS.

Im not sure how much SS I would get if I stop working 5 to 6 years prior to age 62, when I would be collecting early. If I work right up until 62, I would get about $900 a month. If I knew my SS wouldn't take to big of a hit, Id say Im an idiot for not retiring right now, lol.
In 1899 according to the ss website what was called ss ,at 65 ss replaced 30% of ones wages .

Ss as signed by roosevelt was also only supplementary income . . It was designed to replace about 33% of ones income . It was designed around the proverbial 3 legged stool ,pension ,savings and ss as a back stop in those days

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-12-2018 at 11:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement