Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 AM

18,750 posts, read 11,713,168 times

Advertisements

I never had a pension or a 401K. I chose to manage my money for retirement by putting it into income properties. My husband has a good police pension and retired as a sergeant after nearly 30 years. I personally never trusted any of the hospitals I worked for to give me much of a retirement and I always worried about them closing. I have more money from the rentals than most people have in their 401K and about 300K more than John's deferred comp, which we invested nearly $900 dollars a month in for his entire career. The crash of 2008 was a disaster but it didn't affect the rentals. You can always find someone who needs a place to live. I tried to talk John into buying a couple more properties (cash only), but he wouldn't budge. It was the perfect time to buy. The demand for rentals was high and so were the rents. I was able to retire at 58 and my husband at 56. We could spend 2K a month from the rental money and now, the sale of the properties and that will take us well into our 90's. I was always worried that social security would never be there for me either, so I planned for that as well. Moral of story? Be responsible for your own financial security. Depending on anyone for your retirement is foolish. Granted the police pension is a huge given, but not everyone has that option. We could survive without it, but it would mean some drastic lifestyle changes. We could sell our house and buy in a lower tax area for cash and live just fine. As long as you have options, you are ahead of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 12:29 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,387,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Not necessarily, I know people with teamsters pensions that are worried.
Well, they may have a hard time substantiating their feelings if in fact the plan is fully funded, and whether or not the payments are federally guaranteed.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:31 PM

21,649 posts, read 9,221,736 times
My husband had a good pension at his company and they changed it in 2003 but he was grandfathered so he acrrued the good pension and new employees got a reduced pension. Then they hired a bunch of execs (who were not in the good pension, put them on the pension committee and axed it for everyone else who still had the good pension). But only after the CEO had accrued the entire amount he could accrue.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:50 PM

2,871 posts, read 2,034,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I never had a pension or a 401K. I chose to manage my money for retirement by putting it into income properties. My husband has a good police pension and retired as a sergeant after nearly 30 years. I personally never trusted any of the hospitals I worked for to give me much of a retirement and I always worried about them closing. I have more money from the rentals than most people have in their 401K and about 300K more than John's deferred comp, which we invested nearly $900 dollars a month in for his entire career. The crash of 2008 was a disaster but it didn't affect the rentals. You can always find someone who needs a place to live. I tried to talk John into buying a couple more properties (cash only), but he wouldn't budge. It was the perfect time to buy. The demand for rentals was high and so were the rents. I was able to retire at 58 and my husband at 56. We could spend 2K a month from the rental money and now, the sale of the properties and that will take us well into our 90's. I was always worried that social security would never be there for me either, so I planned for that as well. Moral of story? Be responsible for your own financial security. Depending on anyone for your retirement is foolish. Granted the police pension is a huge given, but not everyone has that option. We could survive without it, but it would mean some drastic lifestyle changes. We could sell our house and buy in a lower tax area for cash and live just fine. As long as you have options, you are ahead of the game.
Great post!

I only have one example to counter your comment about rentals not being impacted by the 2008 crash in that the home next to us was a rental and it changed hands three times as two different over-leveraged owners suffered from renters who lived paycheck-to-paycheck and when they lost their jobs, they were unable to pay their rent and two different owners suffered foreclosure on it when they couldn't afford to cover the mortgage themselves.

It was really a train wreck by renting to the most risky renters who were also pretty bad neighbors. Since then, we've had two others live there as owners and it's (slightly) better now. See what we get for living way below our means? Bad neighbors. lol

Best wishes for continued success!

Old 11-08-2018, 12:52 PM

672 posts, read 438,308 times
So if you work somewhere that has a pension with mandatory participation and the company reneged on the deal, wouldn't that be wage theft?
In my case I was paying 10% of my hourly wage.
If they default I'm going to be doing a lot of stealing.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:48 PM

11,409 posts, read 7,725,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This is exactly why I took my pension in a lump sum when I retired. I wanted control of my money, plain and simple.
My husband’s employer removed the lump sum option. Now he’ll get a monthly amount (with survivorship for me if he takes less) and it’ll all go poof when we’re gone. That’s his reward for 40+ years of making the company lots of money.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
About 12 years ago my company Verizon froze pension contributions for managers with 15+ years of service. Those with less time lost their pension. TBH I'm not sure if that meant they lost everything or if they get to keep their cash balance.

Anyway I had the time + so with my retirement looking very likely next month my cash balance gives me the option of an annuity with no COLA from Prudential or taking the lump sum equivalent.

Vz did increase the match on our 401k as a sort of compensation, it's variable but is usually in the 8% range. So fortunately I have a generous 401 as well as having enough time to be grandfathered in to the frozen pension.

My wife will have a pension through her teacher's union.
Are you taking the buyout?

Old 11-08-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My husband’s employer removed the lump sum option. Now he’ll get a monthly amount (with survivorship for me if he takes less) and it’ll all go poof when we’re gone. That’s his reward for 40+ years of making the company lots of money.
Sorry, but, then what was the purpose of his annual salary for each of those 40+ years?

If your retirement plan options were $1,500 per month for life, or $150,000 lump sum, I'd take the monthly payments if my only other income at the time would be SS or my 401(k). If I had both available to me, I'd consider delaying retirement altogether.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:48 PM

11,409 posts, read 7,725,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Sorry, but, then what was the purpose of his annual salary for each of those 40+ years?

If your retirement plan options were $1,500 per month for life, or $150,000 lump sum, I'd take the monthly payments if my only other income at the time would be SS or my 401(k). If I had both available to me, I'd consider delaying retirement altogether.
What annual salary? He’s a 100% commissioned salesperson paid a percentage of his sales. And believe me, the company makes out WAY better than he does.

But, that’s not the point. Why are companies permitted to change the rules on their pension plans? I get changing them for new hires, but everyone else should be grandfathered in on the plan in effect when they were hired. Especially if employees contribute to the plan. Spend decades contributing just to have the rug pulled out from under you. Nice.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 11-08-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
What annual salary? He’s a 100% commissioned salesperson paid a percentage of his sales. And believe me, the company makes out WAY better than he does.

But, that’s not the point. Why are companies permitted to change the rules on their pension plans? I get changing them for new hires, but everyone else should be grandfathered in on the plan in effect when they were hired. Especially if employees contribute to the plan. Spend decades contributing just to have the rug pulled out from under you. Nice.
Right - I get that - but usually the lump sum is the worse deal, like they're secretly hoping you take it, then you're off their books for good. Unless someone is 80 or older, it's not advisable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement