U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:37 PM

2,499 posts, read 6,395,252 times

Advertisements

What about microwave ovens????
My wifes employer asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she said we were saving money for a microwave oven,he asked how much it cost,she said $475 from Sears,he gave her a check for$500.
We passed it on still working to a friend in 1991 after many years of good service,never a problem,weighed a ton!!
I might add credit cards and credit was not available back then,cash.

Last edited by DanBev; 11-10-2018 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 08:44 PM

395 posts, read 716,215 times
How about a big furniture cabinet 25" that died and a new 25" portable sitting on top of it. Who needs a TV stand

Old 11-10-2018, 09:21 PM

9,162 posts, read 3,010,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
In the early 50s, my grandmother wanted to buy a tv set. She had savings set up for her 4 kids. The set was black a nd white, the screen then was an oval about the size of a frisbee. It came in a big cabinet and had a record player in the bottom.
It was $500 then. My grandmother said if each child gave up $100, shed contribute the last $100 and pay the taxes on it. They did and bought it.
The ministers wife hurried up sunday evening service so they could all go to ky grandmother s to watch the Sunday night fights on the new fangled tv.

Somehow, i never could figure out how religion and prize fighting meet!!!

But tv only played on 3 channels then and only for about 3-4 hours a day.ANY show was worth watching then.

That set still sits in the basement at my parents house!

And the royal "I" will have to get rid of it when they pass away!

Donate it to a museum.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:46 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,510,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
What about microwave ovens????
My wifes employer asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she said we were saving money for a microwave oven,he asked how much it cost,she said $475 from Sears,he gave her a check for$500.
We passed it on still working to a friend in 1991 after many years of good service,never a problem,weighed a ton!!
I might add credit cards and credit was not available back then,cash.
Er, credit cards were available in 1991, I believe.

Anyway, I have a microwave from 1991. It is a Sharp brand and has that rotating plate. Love it!

Old 11-11-2018, 07:47 AM

243 posts, read 120,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
I remember when handheld calculators first came out and were $500.

I also remember, as a kid, getting up and down to adjust the "rabbit ears" on the telly!
I don't remember the $500 calculator, but I like to tell my students that my first four-function calculator cost $70 forty-five years ago. It did nothing that a $1 calculator today doesn't do. I earned $7800 at the time so it cost me almost 10% of my salary.

I had to have it, though. Teachers kept attendance registers by hand back in 1974. You had to do all of these percentages of transported/non-transported, free/full pay lunches, etc. The register had to be done in ink because it was a legal document. It could not have any type of correction fluid.

My math was good, but woe unto you if you made an error, which the secretary discovered when she combined all these figures and they didn't add up. It was a lot of pressure on a first-year teacher.

It was worth the $70, believe me.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:07 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,510,190 times
I still have a little Sharp ELSE MATE EL-240H solar cell calculator that I used to calculate grade point averages when I taught high school in the late 1980s.

Still works like new.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:24 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,937,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ah we had the first color tv on the block a huge RCA with a giant cabinet. A technician had to install it, wave this magnetic wand around the screen, adjust everything. I think it cost over $1,000. Seeing Bonanza in color was spectacular.

My uncle did the same thing...circa 1958? I think. I recall that they had to orient the TV such that it faced the magnetic north pole a certain way. That was a degaussing coil. And Bonanza and the NBC peacock were not to be missed!

Old 11-11-2018, 03:15 PM

2,405 posts, read 915,522 times
Them old RCA units were bulletproof. Wish they still made appliances built to last. Nowadays stuff is junk and have a life of 5 years or so.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:43 AM

4,443 posts, read 2,616,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My first VCR cost $500.00 and it had a hard wired remote. We also had to decide between BETA or VHS.

My first PC was $1,800.00 and forget how limited it was.
Oh, the memories....

My first VHS VCR was an RCA wired remote with 25' cord and cost $300. I bought it because beta was too expensive and more variety in VHS.

My first computer. An IBM clone, was $2500 for computerwith two drives , monitor and printer.

My first tv was a 12" b& w, but i soon traded for 9" color. Portable. I was by then used to color, and the b&w didnt do it. The b& w was ac/dc though. Tye color was $150 or $200. The b& w was $100.

For $2k i bought a jcpenny VHS camcorder. Boy i had fun with that.

All of the above plus a Pionerr VSX 5000 complee component stereo system i lost in a house fire in 1989.

Thanks for this stroll down amnesia lane....

Old 11-12-2018, 05:44 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,286,872 times
Quote:
One thing this has basically killed are TV repair businesses.
Also going that direction: 1) upholstering and 2) shoe repair.....

1) The only upholsterers still around charge an arm and a leg.

Maybe upholstering has always been expensive, I don't know. I can't remember back to the late 1950s early '60s.
But I do remember that my mom and aunt, as late as the mid 1960s, did have their good, well-made furniture reupholstered.

But, certainly by the 1970s reupholstering became to expensive. We had some good pieces that even though we wanted to keep for sentimental reasons -- money-wise it just made no sense. And I'm at that point in my life too.....fewer and fewer things mean so much to me that I'm willing to have them COST me money to hang on to.

2) I have shoes I'd love to have repairs or resoled. But 1 -- you have to find a shoe repair place....2) some shoes CAN'T be re-soled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement