Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 05:09 AM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Ah there lies the problem. SS should have been a separate fund than SSDI.
I always felt it should be merged with welfare benefits.

we have More than 10 million on Ssdi including dependants . In 2000 we had 6.7 million. In 1990 4.3 million

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-11-2018 at 05:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 06:51 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Exactly right FICA will keep going to up to support FICA. Is it a Ponzi scheme, yes it is. Then again if the government would not have raided SS years ago and let the account grow on a simple savings account, it would be huge by now. Stealing is illegal in the USA unless of course you are the government.
A ponzi scheme promises large returns on investments, misleads about sources of those returns, and eventually always collapses when it runs out of new participants. Social security does none of that, it promises a certain benefit based on wages/longevity that might not even be a net gain for those who contributed, it's quite transparent, and it will never run out of participants as long we keep having babies that develop into workers.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:54 AM

It is simply user funded , no different than most of Medicare or any insurance .Incoming money pays benefits for previous users .User funded is not a ponzi scheme

Old 11-11-2018, 07:49 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...-out/38452267/

Interesting article that illustrates how social security can still survive the upcoming baby boomer retirement. But I think the point should still be that millennials shouldn't depend on SS to save them.
It will never run out of money as long as the pool of people paying into it doesn't shrink or incomes shrink substantially.

Wife and I planned to have enough in case SS fails but I don't see that happening. I plan to start taking it soon at age 62 or 63.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
A ponzi scheme promises large returns on investments, misleads about sources of those returns, and eventually always collapses when it runs out of new participants. Social security does none of that, it promises a certain benefit based on wages/longevity that might not even be a net gain for those who contributed, it's quite transparent, and it will never run out of participants as long we keep having babies that develop into workers.
I usually agree with your posts, but I disagree with you here. Your argument is that technical differences preclude SS from rising to the definition of Ponzi scheme. Tell me, how long would SS last without new participants? Social Security IS structured like a Ponzi scheme and the fact that it is legally mandated does not diminish the similarities between the con and the program people rely on.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 AM

757 posts, read 837,253 times
This is one subject that just keeps on giving.

The thousand pound, mean gorilla is national debt and personal debt which is beyond imagination. There is no part of our lives that will not be ultimately affected by it. The party is in high gear. The bar is open and the drinks are flowing. The only bummer is that the party is abroad a ship named Titanic.

I am old and may not see the water flow into the hull but it will happen. Some few might get into lifeboats but most are going down with the ship.

The government knows it. The congress knows it. They just cannot act. The rest of us pretend someone will solve the mess. Keep hoping.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:30 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...-out/38452267/

Interesting article that illustrates how social security can still survive the upcoming baby boomer retirement. But I think the point should still be that millennials shouldn't depend on SS to save them.
This author does not understand actuarial science. The author does not understand even the basics of government funding.

For example, in the quote from the article that you posted:

Quote:
The second recurring source of revenue is the taxation of benefits. Signed into law in 1983 and implemented in 1984, the taxation of benefits allows recipients earning above certain thresholds – adjusted gross income plus one-half benefits above $25,000 for individuals and $32,000 for couples filing jointly – to have a portion of their Social Security benefits taxed at federal ordinary income-tax rates. In 2017, the taxation of benefits led to $37.9 billion being collected.
Taxing away benefits does happen, but is irrelevant. The federal income tax revenue generated from taxing social security benefits does not go to the Social Security trust fund. Nor should it. As with all federal income tax revenue, it goes to the Treasury and is spent by our esteed Congress. It never goes to the Social Security Trust Fund.

The Motley Fool article printed by USA Today is not economic analysis. It is not financial analysis. I can't believe anyone reads this tripe, let alone writes it.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
The time at which the SSA no longer has a reserve (in ~15 years more or less depending on a bunch of factors) is when the federal government has paid back every cent of money borrowed from SSA with interest. At that point, as the USA Today article says, the SSA will only have the current year's revenue because all of the surplus from all of the years there was a surplus will have been spent by the SSA to pay benefits and by no one else for any other purpose.
At that point in time, inflows will be insufficient to cover outflows.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The most obvious reform would be to eliminate the wage cap.
A much better reform is to raise retirement age.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I usually agree with your posts, but I disagree with you here. Your argument is that technical differences preclude SS from rising to the definition of Ponzi scheme. Tell me, how long would SS last without new participants? Social Security IS structured like a Ponzi scheme and the fact that it is legally mandated does not diminish the similarities between the con and the program people rely on.
So according to your definition every annuity or insurances are ponzi
schemes since they are user funded and use current payments to meet obligations.

The definition of a Ponzi scheme is where big profits are promised from investing in goods or services but actually come from luring in new investors and not the investments .

That is not social security

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-11-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement