U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 08:03 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Somewhat off-topic, but I never heard of Branson, Missouri, outside of the OP's screen name. What exactly is there that attracts all these bus tours, albeit those full of older people of physical and mental limitations?

I'm genuinely curious. I'm in NJ and have only ever known two people who went to Missouri--one to college because she was poor and got a full ride at a university there, and another who was stationed in Missouri while in the military.
oh - was she in Knob Noster Missouri? Whiteman Air Force Base.

I"ve never been to Branson, but have been to the Ozark River. Its nice if you like that type of thing.

or maybe Fort Lost in the Woods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 08:10 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I'd be half scared to death if my resting pulse was 92! That's the "normal" rate for one doing light to moderate exercise. Your heart is working too hard!

Realizing that everyone's different, my resting pulse is around 55. For a person my age, it maxes out at 165, and I only get close to that when I'm cycling very intensely, such as climbing a long, steep gradient. But, I usually back off on the effort level when I get to 150/155. I start watching it closely when it gets to, and maintains a steady 145, (can you tell I wear a chest heart rate strap). It is worrisome and concerning when I get to 160, which it very rarely does.

I'm surprised your doctors are not even the least bit concerned.
A lot of that is influenced by genetics. When I'm sleeping, my most frequently registered pulse is 58 bpm. I'm a big guy and wear an Apple Watch in bed.

If I'm just lounging around and not hungover, my heart rate during the day is 80ish lounging. If I'm hungover or caffeinated, it's easily in the 92 bpm range sitting.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:47 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,639,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Good point.

I'm incredulous that you have lived in Branson 20 years and never realized it was a magnet for coach tours catering to a specific demographic

Old 11-11-2018, 09:51 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I'm incredulous that you have lived in Branson 20 years and never realized it was a magnet for coach tours catering to a specific demographic
But what exactly are they touring? What is there that anyone is going there to see?

The OP provided a link to the Branson sub-forum, but it didn't tell me much. Just relocation questions.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:58 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Quote:
But what exactly are they touring? What is there that anyone is going there to see?

The OP provided a link to the Branson sub-forum, but it didn't tell me much. Just relocation questions.

There is a street that is basically one dinner theater after another. Lots of country/western shows in particular, but there are other types of entertainment, too. Most people who go on bus trips there go to one show after another. You can also find other attractions that involve a little more exercise (an amusement park, for example) but those don't generally appeal to the seniors-taking-a-bus-trip-there crowd.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:11 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,639,332 times
Quote:

Old timey live music shows, showboat, golf courses, scenic railway, museums ,wineries,etc
SENIORS LOVE TO VISIT BRANSON | Senior Citizen Journal

https://www.bransongetaways.com/explore/attractions/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branson,_Missouri

We took the kids there years ago to silver dollar city , kind of like the Las Vegas of the ozarks.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:59 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Quote:

I have never been there but to my knowledge, it is well known for musical shows. I think in particular country western stars. And no doubt some good shopping. Maybe not like Reading, PA, but C & W theme shopping.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:35 AM

15,200 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Quote:
Somewhat off-topic, but I never heard of Branson, Missouri, outside of the OP's screen name. What exactly is there that attracts all these bus tours, albeit those full of older people of physical and mental limitations?

I'm genuinely curious. I'm in NJ and have only ever known two people who went to Missouri--one to college because she was poor and got a full ride at a university there, and another who was stationed in Missouri while in the military.
Most succinctly, it's the Las Vegas of the Ozarks - very touristy, hotels, celebrity acts...obviously more spread out than Vegas but kinda similar, a little more "country" and less glitz.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:37 AM

6,528 posts, read 1,336,586 times
Getting back to the original question and post --

Based on what I see here in suburban Denver, there are not a lot of infirm old people in my community except for those who live in ALF's. I think that the great majority of people under 75 in our area are in at least fairly good health, as are my husband and I (ages 62 and 65). I am on no medication whatsoever, and my husband only takes meds for cholesterol and high blood pressure (which he has had since he was in his late 20's and has always been in great health otherwise). However, we have never smoked or abused anything, we are not obese, we walk about two miles a day, and we eat healthy and natural (not processed) homemade food at least 90% of the time.

Yes, I do know people who are in bad health, but almost always, they are either obese and/or past or current smokers.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 AM

56,003 posts, read 54,493,040 times
^Thank you to all those who answered my (OT) question!

ON topic, I am 60 and generally in good health. I had a weird, rare thyroid disease about five years ago in which this cement-like substance was growing off my thyroid and invading the tissues in my throat, including my trachea. I take Tamoxifen, which is more often prescribed for breast cancer, to keep it from growing back, but we are weaning me off of it now and going to watch to make sure the cement doesn't start to grow again. Other than that, I take synthroid. Had some high blood sugar and my cholesterol went up a bit over 200 for the first time last year, but changed my diet and lost 22 pounds and got them both back down.

Today is my mother's 90th birthday. She had a quad bypass and started kidney dialysis three years ago, but I didn't inherit the family kidney disease. I did used to smoke, though, and she never did. I'm hoping her genes counterbalance some of my former bad habits. Unfortunately, she has to have dialysis on her birthday, so we celebrated Saturday. Fortunately, her mind and eyes are good enough that she drives herself there and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or