U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:36 PM

659 posts, read 324,724 times

Advertisements

I'm 60 and I take a basic swimming class at community college with mostly young men 19-25. Then the next class after it is a Water Fitness class with seniors.
The guys in the swim class cannot believe it when I told them I had 2 sons age 33 and 35. We laugh and fool around in the water when the swim coach is not looking. I fit in!

In contrast, the Seniors class has all ages from 60-80. Only a couple folks are frail, and most are there because of rehab of a hip or knee. Out of abut 25 people there are 4 of us that are really younger looking.

My health is truly my number one priority; I have been scared straight with a temporary mobility issue last year. I now eat healthy. I walk an hour a day as well as take these swim lessons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 02:15 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,934,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
A sobering dose of reality. Thanks for the reminder of taking nothing for granted at this age.

I've heard that if you make it through your sixties without suffering from cancer, the chances of developing an aggressive form of it actually drop off. Of course there are exceptions, and I'm not sure if this is correct....
Yes. Once past 70 the odds for cancer drop about 40% and past 75, they drop about 75%.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:50 PM

1,165 posts, read 971,503 times
A close friend is very slender and exercises three or four times per week at the gym. She has always taken great care of herself; never smoked, hardly ever drinks, eats a very healthy diet. A few years ago she was diagnosed with cancer and serious gastrointestinal problems. We are in our early sixties. She said that she thought it could never happen to her!

Don't tempt fate folks...bad stuff just happens sometimes. Be (quietly) glad it isn't happening to you, be supportive when it happens to others, and please don't gloat.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:56 PM

1,700 posts, read 4,062,672 times
It's just most likely only old decrepit folks visit Branson, that's my take.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:27 PM

4,821 posts, read 1,835,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Yes. Once past 70 the odds for cancer drop about 40% and past 75, they drop about 75%.
This is great news.

I don't do "preventative" tests anymore, so I like those stats!

Old 11-12-2018, 07:59 PM

56,037 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow. Very surprising.
Yes. I looked at the Wiki for Missouri, and it made me aware how little I know of the state. I think of St. Louis, of course, and Hannibal for Mark Twain, and of course the river and Lewis and Clark, but there's a lot more!

Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 PM

56,037 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is great news.

I don't do "preventative" tests anymore, so I like those stats!
My mother's doctor retired when she was 81. The younger man who took over the practice saw her for a checkup, and he said, "I see you've never had a colonoscopy. We'll schedule one for you."

My mother said, "I don't think so." The doctor did a double take, and she said, "We have no problems with that area in our family, and I am not having any problems personally, and I think you doctors these days do too many invasive tests."

The doc said "OK", and didn't bring it up again.

Not saying that this sort of thinking is a good idea, but today is my mother's 90th birthday. She does have a genetic kidney disease, so she started dialysis three times a week three years ago and had to go today, on her birthday. She drove herself the 8 miles to the dialysis center and back again afterward. We celebrated Saturday instead.

Hope I inherited her genes.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 PM

882 posts, read 335,710 times
I have a very skewed idea of what older people look like, because the ones I'm acquainted with are either spending a lot of time volunteering with animals, or playing hockey. I played today with a group of men and women age mostly 50s to 70s. Active, fun bunch.

I'm "only" 51, mostly in great health. I take no medications other than a nasal spray for allergies. I have played sports my whole life, and an orthopedist I saw after a knee injury said that bodies eventually wear out, that's just how it goes. He sees lots of lifelong jock types coming in for knee and hip replacements. I can imagine that might be me some day, too.

My family mostly lives pretty healthy, then dies of heart disease in their late 70s, and I figure that'll be me as well.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:28 AM

248 posts, read 183,392 times
I'm a 57 year old male. I've been a runner since my early 20's do lots of hiking and some mtn biking. Snowshoeing in winter months. I noticed having the start of weight gain five years ago, late last December I started the Keto diet and have lost 30lbs. I said goodbye to carbs and most sugars, everything else has stayed the same. All my other health stats have improved. BP 119/75 heart rate 47 no aches or pains. My wife is seeing my success and slowly turning to the same diet, but she loves sweets, so it is tough for her.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:56 AM

160 posts, read 89,118 times
Chronic Lyme disease triggered a rare autoimmunie illness for my husband. He has lesions on his brain that affect his balance.

At one time he was in excellent health...didn't drink, smoke, rarely ate sweets and stuck with fresh foods. He still watches his diet but is stricter now. He's always been very slim and used to exercise a lot.

He's 66 and today has bad days and some not so bad. At his worst he also was hunched over a walker and looked like a 90 year old man...that's what illness can do to you and it can happen to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or