U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:13 AM

4,882 posts, read 1,870,779 times

Advertisements

I am guessing you are seeing a select population of people who meet certain variables: 1) People who would think of vacationing in Branson, MO. I have heard it's cheesy. 2) People who travel by bus (maybe a certain economic bracket that has not been able to maintain health properly?) 3) not sure what else . . .

I don't think this is "normal."

Where I live (West Coast) - the old people I see are all out walking, jogging, beachcombing, volunteering . . . you don't see the old doddering people (maybe there are lots of them "inside" somewhere?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 10:17 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,652,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am 63 and in absurdly good health. Oh, I have my days (usually after a brutally hard work day) when things ache, but overall I can out work and out play kids half my age.

I want to ask the folks on this forum a question about their health in general because I don't personally know anyone my age to compare myself to.

I live in Branson, Missouri and this time of year we get lots of retired folks, mainly on bus tours. I work at a hotel in the breakfast room and I see, literally HUNDREDS of folks between the ages of 60 and 90 every single day.

What gets me is the physical and mental condition. A good 80 percent of them are hunched over, using walkers, deaf, shaking like a leaf and very obviously over-medicated. Over-medicated to the point that I seriously doubt that they could function without someone there to guide them.

Now I understand that bus trips will greatly appeal to elders who are infirm and not capable of driving off to a vacation independently. And I understand that many of them may be in their 80s, which typically is close to the finish line and results in a body that has been worn and torn for many decades, including participation in wars and being from Iowa, occupations (farming) that are extraordinary physically demanding and damaging.

That being said, why is everybody in such bad shape? Thinking back to my parents, when they were that age, and other order people I've known in my life, everyone was fairly active and certainly in decent physical shape well into their 80s. Mentally, I don't recall any relative that became "dody" or mentally clouded at all. Even thinking back through my youth, aside from a few acquaintances who were raging alcoholics, i don't recall a single encounter where the order person was not 100% totally on the ball.

So I guess my question is, since many of you live in communities and hang out with folks your own age (and older), how common and consistent do you find feeble (mentally and physically) old people? How often do you encounter people who are so over-medicated that they cannot function normally? Are my experiences simply a result of circumstances whereby these folks don't feel confident going somepace alone and so they join with others and are managed by a keeper (tour guide)?

Since I have no other frame of reference I really want to know.

well you said it yourself that you have "nothing to compare it too", so you are making a judgement based on your exposure that is tailored specifically to the needs of a older group who at a stage they prefer taking a bus tour. Most of the older people I have worked with, or socialized with are a mixed bag, just like the general population. So yes, your experiences are simply a result of a narrow and limited view of a specific group using a service tailored to their needs.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:20 AM

1,926 posts, read 995,774 times
Quote:
Well, it is hard to explain exactly. But an inability to function on what I consider a normal level. Having trouble putting butter on their bread without dropping something or destroying the bread in the process. Asking very simple questions like; Where is the restroom ? And not being able to understand or comprehend the answer. (Down that hallway (pointing) to the right.)

Not being able to figure out how a coffee urn works. (You have to push or pull the spigot to make the coffee flow). Not being able to find the coffee creamer that is right in front of them.

Little cognitive things like that.

You have not experienced such deficits. They are easy for me to understand. Young healthy people sometimes talk fast and have relatively little patience..... and old unhealthy people don't want to appear old and unhealthy (sliding scale )

My first apartment after I retired, I had to call the property mgr to find out how to use the shower

I also agree with the people who said that people who might not be able to make the trip by themselves still do tours. Our senior center trips are filled with people you describe. Often people who appear to do well at home and at the center don't do as well as expected on a trip. They still go

Old 11-10-2018, 10:23 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,179,571 times
One reason is people live longer these days. There are also more Things in food, water and the air that can affect certain people more over time.
I also think you are presumptuous to say people are over medicated. You don't know what conditions they might have, and could just as easily be under medicated or not medicated at all and they could be some of the problem.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:24 AM

12,313 posts, read 15,228,409 times
I bet a lot of them haven't walked a mile in decades. Use it or lose it. I still enjoy running at 63. Some day it will go to walking. My 5th grade teacher said cars were such a detriment to health. "sure, they're great for getting somewhere in a hurry. But you're not getting any exercise.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:27 AM

19,913 posts, read 18,921,677 times
I remember that the older generation seemed to be in better health. I don't remember much obesity or people sitting around doing nothing. People were out working in the yard, gardening, getting groceries, cooking, cleaning the house. A few had arthritis and walked with a cane and I had a great aunt who was all bent over. My neighborhood growing up had a lot of elderly ladies living alone. I don't remember seeing them with canes, shaking, or bent over.

Probably the reasons have already been mentioned.

One thing was that many from our generation ate/eat junk food. I hate to think what the next generation will be like when they're older because so many of them live on soda and eat fast food. Hoping things turn around and they cook and eat right.

I'm 74 and was in bad health most of my adult life due to the lasting side effects from an antidepressant that the dr put me on when I was 30 years old. I struggled along. Gradually I found drs who would help me, and then with the internet I was able to help myself. My health today isn't perfect but I sure feel A LOT better than I have in decades. I am pre-diabetic though and it runs in my family.

And for the people who seem to be losing their minds, we talked about that on here and one reason is the prescription medications that affect memory. As you get older, you can't tolerate some of the medicines that didn't hurt you when you were younger. Google that and print it out!

Where I live it's an over 60 community but there are no planned activities. However, I haven't seen anyone who is overweight and there are only a few who walk with canes or walkers. There are some in their late 80s or 90s who never leave their apartments and homemakers come to take care of them. That's to be expected, I think. People in their 60s and 70s go to fitness clubs to work out or use the pool, they play golf, they walk. The people in their 80s mostly take various classes and may keep active in other ways but they are usually not at the fitness clubs.

Maybe the OP is seeing people who ate whatever they wanted to and just let themselves go.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:29 AM

8,224 posts, read 11,939,052 times
Quote:
What gets me is the physical and mental condition. A good 80 percent of them are hunched over, using walkers, deaf, shaking like a leaf and very obviously over-medicated. Over-medicated to the point that I seriously doubt that they could function without someone there to guide them

So I guess my question is, since many of you live in communities and hang out with folks your own age (and older), how common and consistent do you find feeble (mentally and physically) old people? How often do you encounter people who are so over-medicated that they cannot function normally? Are my experiences simply a result of circumstances whereby these folks don't feel confident going somepace alone and so they join with others and are managed by a keeper (tour guide)?

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the OP, before you take the time to compose a thoughtful reply, please note that she is anti-doctors and anti-medications, so this thread is just a thinly-veiled attempt to rail against the medical profession. Here are just a few of her thoughts on the subject:

Quote:
...I am not a fan of doctors and medication... I don't think I could take a medication. I do take natural things like St. John's Wort, and it helps a little....
Quote:
We live in a culture that treats symptoms instead of the problem. Doctors prescribe pain killers because they cannot, cut or burn the problem away. The AMA is woefully incapable of doing much of anything, so they prescribe, prescribe, prescribe. The best thing that could happen, which would end the problem, would be for people to turn to natural health remedies. But they have been SO BRAINWASHED to believe that only a doctor can "MAKE THEM WELL", that they are loathe to accept any other methods. Pity.
Quote:
...If I were to become the unfortunate recipient of a broken leg I would try with all my might to find some old codger or survivalist who would he willing to set it and slap a splint in it and call it good. Now days doctors can't do anything without 14 MRIs and surgeries to put pins and plates and other unnecessary garbage in you. To heck with that.

If you still want to take the time to compose a well-thought-out reply to the OP by all means feel free to do so. Just know that she really isn't interested in what you think or what your experiences have been. Unless, of course, you agree with her supposition that doctors and prescription drugs are the root of all evil in this world.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:53 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,887,120 times
About to turn 60 and in extremely good shape. Turned 58 in fair to poor shape, ended up using a cane some of the time late winter to early spring because of arthritic flares in my knees that were becoming increasingly frequent. I was worried about becoming the kind of person the OP describes, so I got serious about diet and exercise. 65 pounds lighter and with *much* better muscle tone, flares are pretty much a non issue. I think it is like a vicious cycle but positive - I feel better and can more easily participate in more activities and feel more positive about the future which is associated with lower rates of problems and better rates of recovery. Other than arthritis, back issues (somewhat interrelated) and enlarged (not cancerous) prostate, I don't have physical trouble. I do have type 2 bipolar syndrome, but I see my willingness to admit/face that and take the mood stabilizer as a positive thing. I have had problems with drinking and just passed 500 days alcohol free. I feel like I am an example of someone who can make choices to address the current set of issues that could make me enter my 60s with poor prospects for a long and healthy life. Something could change that tomorrow, of course. I think a significant number of people in poor health did not and/or do not make the choices and put in the work to substantially decrease the chances of a swift decline.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:00 AM

2,451 posts, read 931,170 times
Though I am retired, I am a little bit younger than most of the responders. At 48 my physical and mental health is probably better than many half my age, from what I've observed. Just gotta stay active and don't remain sedentary. No medication or medical condition of any kind and I do believe that is due to a lifetime of physical and food choices. Oh and I supposedly worked for 25 years in one of the most stressfull careers a person can choose, law enforcement.
Take care of your body and later on it'll take care of you.
My half a head of hair though, that's a battle I've lost lol

Old 11-10-2018, 11:07 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,549,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
. . .
If you still want to take the time to compose a well-thought-out reply to the OP by all means feel free to do so. Just know that she really isn't interested in what you think or what your experiences have been. . . . .
This thread is hardly the only one in this forum that fits your description. And hardly the only one in any forum that fits your description. It's all just in fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or