U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 11:09 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,150,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am 63 and in absurdly good health. Oh, I have my days (usually after a brutally hard work day) when things ache, but overall I can out work and out play kids half my age.

I want to ask the folks on this forum a question about their health in general because I don't personally know anyone my age to compare myself to.

I live in Branson, Missouri and this time of year we get lots of retired folks, mainly on bus tours. I work at a hotel in the breakfast room and I see, literally HUNDREDS of folks between the ages of 60 and 90 every single day.

What gets me is the physical and mental condition. A good 80 percent of them are hunched over, using walkers, deaf, shaking like a leaf and very obviously over-medicated. Over-medicated to the point that I seriously doubt that they could function without someone there to guide them.

Now I understand that bus trips will greatly appeal to elders who are infirm and not capable of driving off to a vacation independently. And I understand that many of them may be in their 80s, which typically is close to the finish line and results in a body that has been worn and torn for many decades, including participation in wars and being from Iowa, occupations (farming) that are extraordinary physically demanding and damaging.

That being said, why is everybody in such bad shape? Thinking back to my parents, when they were that age, and other order people I've known in my life, everyone was fairly active and certainly in decent physical shape well into their 80s. Mentally, I don't recall any relative that became "dody" or mentally clouded at all. Even thinking back through my youth, aside from a few acquaintances who were raging alcoholics, i don't recall a single encounter where the order person was not 100% totally on the ball.

So I guess my question is, since many of you live in communities and hang out with folks your own age (and older), how common and consistent do you find feeble (mentally and physically) old people? How often do you encounter people who are so over-medicated that they cannot function normally? Are my experiences simply a result of circumstances whereby these folks don't feel confident going somepace alone and so they join with others and are managed by a keeper (tour guide)?

Since I have no other frame of reference I really want to know.
When I worked in Adult Protective Services I saw many people who had physical problems or dementia. But that was a select population that I was paid to deal with. By in large most of the older elderly are doing fine and tend to die in their own home. My friends range up to their 80s and are active. Iím 68 and I bike, hike and ski. My posture is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 11:37 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,645,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the OP, before you take the time to compose a thoughtful reply, please note that she is anti-doctors and anti-medications, so this thread is just a thinly-veiled attempt to rail against the medical profession. Here are just a few of her thoughts on the subject:

If you still want to take the time to compose a well-thought-out reply to the OP by all means feel free to do so. Just know that she really isn't interested in what you think or what your experiences have been. Unless, of course, you agree with her supposition that doctors and prescription drugs are the root of all evil in this world.
There are other readers of this post who might be appreciative of the responses or understand how ageism and stereotyping olders is manifested in the smugness of those who are fortunate in their genetics and current abilities.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:41 AM

7,686 posts, read 4,719,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
This thread is hardly the only one in this forum that fits your description. And hardly the only one in any forum that fits your description. It's all just in fun.

...until someone loses an eye!

Old 11-10-2018, 11:45 AM

56 posts, read 82,937 times
I'm 74 and my wife is 72, both retired. We both are on cholesterol lowering medication and blood pressure medication only. No major surgeries. Minor skin cancers only. She is thin, I'm heavyset. I still teach part time at the university from which I retired.

I consider us both very fortunate.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:02 PM

4,828 posts, read 1,845,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the OP, before you take the time to compose a thoughtful reply, please note that she is anti-doctors and anti-medications, so this thread is just a thinly-veiled attempt to rail against the medical profession. Here are just a few of her thoughts on the subject:

If you still want to take the time to compose a well-thought-out reply to the OP by all means feel free to do so. Just know that she really isn't interested in what you think or what your experiences have been. Unless, of course, you agree with her supposition that doctors and prescription drugs are the root of all evil in this world.
Your inserted rant is off-topic.

The OP just supposed that over-medication might be an issue - people who stalk other people's posts and take the time to reproduce them for some bizarre agenda have "issues."

Over-medication COULD be "a" reason for what the OP is observing . . . there are scholarly articles describing the effects of medications on memory, etc.

And maybe that is not a reason . . . it was said in passing . . . warning people not to thoughtfully respond to a thread because of your prejudices is over-the-top.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:03 PM

2,246 posts, read 1,106,098 times
I'm nearly 70 and okay so far (knock on wood). I have several siblings in their late 60s to early 80s, and they are still very healthy and active, no bus tours for them. However, the rest of my family died in their 50s-60s. I do have friends my age who are active and healthy.

Some people remain active and healthy as they age, some become decrepit as they age, and some never make it to old age. It's just a crap shoot.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:17 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,335,938 times
Threads like this make me think about my Grandma. She was a widow for over 40 years. She never drove and an injury she suffered in a hotel fire left her unable to lift her leg high enough to get on a bus so she had to rely on friends and relatives for all her needs. But they stepped up and did it!

She lived outside of Pittsburgh, had a large house, property, fruit trees, and a huge garden. She took care of all of it, mostly herself. Sometimes kids or grands would come over and help but she worked all day every day. She canned all the veggies from her garden and made jams and jellies.

She had more energy than I did at 20. I knew even as a kid I could not keep up with Grandma. She died at home at 93 after a short illness. She was a winner in the genetic lottery for sure but I think all her hard work contributed to her longevity. I usually visited her once a year. The last time she was well over 90 and laughed with delight because my suitcase was full of lemons. I wanted her to make a pie while I was there. When I arrived from the airport...she was out mowing the yard!

All I plan to do is live until I die!

Old 11-10-2018, 12:34 PM

11,137 posts, read 8,551,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Your inserted rant is off-topic.

The OP just supposed that over-medication might be an issue - people who stalk other people's posts and take the time to reproduce them for some bizarre agenda have "issues."

Over-medication COULD be "a" reason for what the OP is observing . . . there are scholarly articles describing the effects of medications on memory, etc.

And maybe that is not a reason . . . it was said in passing . . . warning people not to thoughtfully respond to a thread because of your prejudices is over-the-top.
People look at someone's old post to get a better understanding of who they are and if they have hidden agendas. It also helps to determine whether a post is fake or not.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:50 PM

12,705 posts, read 14,089,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So I guess my question is, since many of you live in communities and hang out with folks your own age (and older), how common and consistent do you find feeble (mentally and physically) old people? How often do you encounter people who are so over-medicated that they cannot function normally? Are my experiences simply a result of circumstances whereby these folks don't feel confident going somepace alone and so they join with others and are managed by a keeper (tour guide)?

Since I have no other frame of reference I really want to know.
I am 80 and six months, and I do not consider myself in good shape. I have four stents in my heart from lousy eating for years, but on the other hand the last three were put in thirteen years ago and my arteries are in fairly good shape despite that history. But I have what is probably a genetic spine problem - judging from my sister and others - so I have two 29 cm bars screwed into my spine....and now the bogeyman is arthritis, and with teeth on it. But I walk for forty minutes in the early a.m., clean my own home, take garbage, drive, live alone, etc....so my life is painful and awkward, but normal as far as I am concerned. As for medications - the lowest dose of a statin, a blood thinner; and maybe once every six weeks an 8 mg. morphine-based drug when the pain is unbearable. It takes the edge off the pain, but I can read, do intellectual activities and normal physical things...though I refuse to drive or do anything risky (like using a step ladder) despite feeling mentally competent. I realize for one thing that the drug is masking pain and weakness, so my feeling of physical well-being has a large element of falsity to it.

I know no one my own age. My oldest friend is seventy. I do meet a small number of local people on my early morning walks who may be my age or almost.

I know no one personally who is over-medicated. However, I did a few months ago literally (me on my two elbow canes) rescue an English woman who was clearly over-medicated and had fallen over when she tried to squat to do something and was rolling on the ground unable to get onto her knees and get up. I used to see her at a local cafe, and she was always fuzzy-headed and drank several brandies in the space of my meal. And she would happily list her medications for any interested parties I understood. Actually she began reciting her list when I was helping her get up and I was familiar with one that was a narcotic, and having seen her booze as I ate lunch I thought she was playing a dangerous game.

Elderly tourists arrive on buses beginning in late Sept., and many use canes or crutches....I don't have the slightest idea about their mental state, though most look to be agile and aware despite their infirmities.

Just as a side note apropos something I chopped out of your posting. I grew up in the forties and fifties. Men in their eighties were quite unusual in our town, some women made it....seventy-eight seemed to be a "popular" death age.

Last edited by kevxu; 11-10-2018 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 12:50 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I think that speaks to cognitive functioning and not necessarily over-medication. You have no way of knowing that.

I think you see a lot of this population because that's the group that partakes of bus tours to Branson. It's not surprising. You wouldn't be surprised to see fit people on a hiking path. That population flocks to that activity.
Agree 100%.

All of the older people (70's to 90's) people whom I know and see in our frequent activities (birding, hiking, rowing and flying) are active, healthy with some people being extremely fit or athletic. None of them display any signs of cognitive deficits. I personally know that quite a few of them are on the typical metabolic medications to control high cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure.

My mother is 92 years old and has to walk with a cane due to sciatica (from old back injury) but she works in her garden almost all year long. She attributes medications for prolonging her life. Her family had a history of dying in their late 60's or early 70's from heart attacks and diabetes complications.

I am 66 years old and in excellent health. I participated in rowing races up ot 2 years ago when we were with a rowing club in NY. There is no club here so I just row daily by myself on the Snake River. My husband is 71 years old and in pretty good health. He had some physical setbacks the last few years due to injuries (old ankle injury, back and knee injury from a fall on ice). However, once he recovered from the injuries, he is back to our daily hiking and/or working in the yard (cutting down trees, digging trails etc.). I take statins for years up until last year (after reading that statins are not really needed for older people). My husband has been taking statins and a blood pressure medication for many years. We have yet to see any negative side effects of these drugs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or