Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 05:51 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,786,748 times

Advertisements

My brother, two years my senior, is in the hospital with afib. First occurrence, out of the blue. He is on blood thinners and observation and tomorrow if they are confident there are no clots they will shock to try to re-sync the chambers. Gives me pause. He's way more overweight than I ever was, eats a lot of fatty foods and drinks like a fish. Still makes it a higher risk for me (actually the same risk, but now I am aware it is higher because it is in the family). Makes you think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 05:53 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,419,929 times
Branson is a magnet for these kind folks of course.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:56 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,057,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
When I see statements like this, I have to wonder if you and the other people who speak this way have ever had blood tests that show high cholesterol, or a heart scan that shows calcification, or a test that shows high blood pressure, or a cardio stress test that shows heart problems, etc. You can PLAN to be active, eat healthy and not take meds, but what will you do when the tests show you have a problem? Do you accept it and take the meds or do you say you will just eat more veggies and exercise more and hope for the best?

Not asking HappyDogToday in particular, but also other posters who have this attitude. And are you yet at the age where these problems tend to show up?
I don't take tests. The VA Clinic where my assigned Primary Care Provider is has been trying to get me to take labs for more than 13 years.

Many problems that are diagnosed resolve themselves naturally. If I had a condition I would certainly seek out a good naturopathic physiciam or wholistic practitioner to address it. My blood pressure tends to be on the high side, although, BEFORE the blood pressure figures were "revised" my BP would have been considered normal. To be honest, my resting heart rate of about 92 beats per minute has always concerned me, but does not seem to bother medical doctors in the least. There must not be an expensive pill to slow it down. Lol

Old 11-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Branson is a magnet for these kind folks of course.
Good point.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,631,911 times
Quote:
When I see statements like this, I have to wonder if you and the other people who speak this way have ever had blood tests that show high cholesterol, or a heart scan that shows calcification, or a test that shows high blood pressure, or a cardio stress test that shows heart problems, etc. You can PLAN to be active, eat healthy and not take meds, but what will you do when the tests show you have a problem? Do you accept it and take the meds or do you say you will just eat more veggies and exercise more and hope for the best?

Not asking HappyDogToday in particular, but also other posters who have this attitude. And are you yet at the age where these problems tend to show up?
People that come up issues as you mentioned address them. I did with blood pressure, tried so hard to not go on drugs and this probably over 10 yrs ago and still on them.

I'm not a big believer in the high cholesterol issue and I don't have that issue and am content with a low 200 total cholesterol lab. And in the forefront of my mind is always the cholesterol myth "talk". It's out there.

On the calcification issue I had that show up in mammogram and after my research stopped taking calcium supps, and get my calcium from other means: foods, magnesium, Vit D and other means. And I've chosen to get no more mammograms anyway. Take small dose of iodine for breast health.

And I count pretty heavily on the grape seed extract I'm taking now into 24th yr.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
64. Excellent health. Better lab work than 30 years ago. No hbp, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. My weight is in normal range (I'd like to lose 7 lbs, but I weigh the same as I have for decades...I fluctuate 7 lbs).

My father is 86 and still in good health. He's slightly bent over, but takes care of his half acre yard by himself and does house projects. His brain is sharp, except sometimes he forgets he called. But hey, everyone does that sometimes. I take after him, so maybe I'll still be in good shape at that age. His two brothers died of heart attack before age 50; they had unhealthy lifestyles.

I have osteoarthritis to a mild degree. I get low back pain sometimes, and just general aches & pains to a mild degree. I have always been forgetful, but now I am more so. Otherwise, I'm not much different than I was years ago.

I did notice a difference in physical condition once I hit 60. Time takes its toll.

My skin is losing its elasticity. I use all the creams and such, but time marches on. My chubby cheeks (on my face) have fallen...inevitable. This is the curse of being chubby cheeked. Like Angela Lansbury & Paul McCartney, chubby-cheeked people whose cheeks fell at a young age. I think I look my age, but I still do get mistaken for much younger. So maybe the care I take does pay off, or maybe it's genetics.

I intentionally try to live a healthy lifestyle. My eating habits are pretty healthy, compared to others. I walk almost every day, but not far or fast. The regularity of it seems to have an impact. I do resistance exercises and a bit of yoga at home, but nothing drastic or near what I used to do years ago.

Lady at end of street is my age. Married to a much older man. They both mow their yards with riding mower, take care of their numerous trees & landscaping. Very active. She seems healthy as a horse, but I wouldn't know if she has health problems. She is overweight, but not what I'd call fat. I haven't seen him enough to notice, but I think he has health problems. He's in his late 70s I think.

I know three men at about age 66. All three have diabetes type 2 (which is caused by lifestyle) and take medications. Two are too overweight for good health; the third is within the norm but has a chunky belly (beer?). All three have problems with physical activity...bad knees or whatever. They're not in great shape, I'd say. One has had a bypass operation already.

It seems as if lifestyle is very important, as the doctors tell us. But there is also genetics.
I would not be so quick to say that Type Ii diabetes is because of lifestyle. In my family every male on my fathers side for 3 generations developed diabetes, but none of the females did. I am sure that being genetically predisposed makes a huge difference. After all, the diets of my father and his 6 siblings was very similar throughout their entire lifetimes.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:16 PM

88,259 posts, read 84,207,404 times
Somewhat off-topic, but I never heard of Branson, Missouri, outside of the OP's screen name. What exactly is there that attracts all these bus tours, albeit those full of older people of physical and mental limitations?

I'm genuinely curious. I'm in NJ and have only ever known two people who went to Missouri--one to college because she was poor and got a full ride at a university there, and another who was stationed in Missouri while in the military.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Somewhat off-topic, but I never heard of Branson, Missouri, outside of the OP's screen name. What exactly is there that attracts all these bus tours, albeit those full of older people of physical and mental limitations?

I'm genuinely curious. I'm in NJ and have only ever known two people who went to Missouri--one to college because she was poor and got a full ride at a university there, and another who was stationed in Missouri while in the military.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/sprin...-branson-area/

Old 11-11-2018, 07:46 PM

6,344 posts, read 7,710,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
..my resting heart rate of about 92 beats per minute has always concerned me.
I'd be half scared to death if my resting pulse was 92! That's the "normal" rate for one doing light to moderate exercise. Your heart is working too hard!

Realizing that everyone's different, my resting pulse is around 55. For a person my age, it maxes out at 165, and I only get close to that when I'm cycling very intensely, such as climbing a long, steep gradient. But, I usually back off on the effort level when I get to 150/155. I start watching it closely when it gets to, and maintains a steady 145, (can you tell I wear a chest heart rate strap). It is worrisome and concerning when I get to 160, which it very rarely does.

I'm surprised your doctors are not even the least bit concerned.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-11-2018, 08:00 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,212,835 times
Quote:

I had that attitude towards my high blood pressure.

I just told myself that people got on my nerves, but it runs in my family. I'm not overweight and don't eat like the typical south texas Hispanic, but still have high blood pressure. Not real bad, but I went ahead and started taking meds. My doctor said I was being "cavesuda" - stubborn in Spanish.

I do take my thyroid pills religiously. If not I will really pack on the pounds without even eating much.

I"ve been on those for 20 years. I get regular blood work for that. That is when they told me I needed to get my blood pressure under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement