U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 07:39 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times

Advertisements

I am 63 and in absurdly good health. Oh, I have my days (usually after a brutally hard work day) when things ache, but overall I can out work and out play kids half my age.

I want to ask the folks on this forum a question about their health in general because I don't personally know anyone my age to compare myself to.

I live in Branson, Missouri and this time of year we get lots of retired folks, mainly on bus tours. I work at a hotel in the breakfast room and I see, literally HUNDREDS of folks between the ages of 60 and 90 every single day.

What gets me is the physical and mental condition. A good 80 percent of them are hunched over, using walkers, deaf, shaking like a leaf and very obviously over-medicated. Over-medicated to the point that I seriously doubt that they could function without someone there to guide them.

Now I understand that bus trips will greatly appeal to elders who are infirm and not capable of driving off to a vacation independently. And I understand that many of them may be in their 80s, which typically is close to the finish line and results in a body that has been worn and torn for many decades, including participation in wars and being from Iowa, occupations (farming) that are extraordinary physically demanding and damaging.

That being said, why is everybody in such bad shape? Thinking back to my parents, when they were that age, and other order people I've known in my life, everyone was fairly active and certainly in decent physical shape well into their 80s. Mentally, I don't recall any relative that became "dody" or mentally clouded at all. Even thinking back through my youth, aside from a few acquaintances who were raging alcoholics, i don't recall a single encounter where the order person was not 100% totally on the ball.

So I guess my question is, since many of you live in communities and hang out with folks your own age (and older), how common and consistent do you find feeble (mentally and physically) old people? How often do you encounter people who are so over-medicated that they cannot function normally? Are my experiences simply a result of circumstances whereby these folks don't feel confident going somepace alone and so they join with others and are managed by a keeper (tour guide)?

Since I have no other frame of reference I really want to know.

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 11-10-2018 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: Fix typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 07:48 AM

11,079 posts, read 12,458,603 times
67 and a few aches, especially my back, but overall in very good health. I walk 4 to 5 miles a day at 6,000 feet elevation.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:56 AM

32,057 posts, read 13,083,794 times
Being a caregiver, there are 2 sides to the aging community. My Dad, 89 can out work me outside, custom knife maker, cares for his 10 acres. My client 88, can't hardly walk, is getting dementia, but can still care for his own hygiene. Another client 95, female, does everything herself, except drive, she's amazing.

So basically there are 2 extreme sides, and maybe some in the middle. Mobility is the major key I see in the aging community. Bad knees? Keeping your mobility is key to maintaining your independence. Just my opinion.

I'm 66, female.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:57 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,057,100 times
62, in very good health, a few aches in the hips. Two Rx meds, one for arrhythmia and one for GERD. I try to stay active and I do about 20 minutes of exercise a day in addition to walking as much as I can. I don't smoke or do drugs, drink very little, try to eat healthy, very little meat.

The seniors I volunteer with are also in good shape and older, some in their 80's. In contrast to most of the population we are a lean bunch, not too many overweight people.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:10 AM

2,064 posts, read 699,344 times
I'm 65, on zero prescriptions and a couple of months ago I took my bicycle to Hermann, MO and rode 71 miles on the Katy Trail over 4 days. It's partly good genes, partly healthy living, partly luck/the grace of God. I was also never into competitive sports or very physical jobs, both of which can rip your body up prematurely.

A couple of thoughts on why there are so many more people in their 60s, 70s, 80s who are falling apart- first, many of them would have been dead if they'd been born 40 years earlier. We're getting much better at detecting high BP, cardiac problems, diabetes, etc. and treating it, when previous generations would have died due to unavailability of effective treatments or just because no one knew they had a problem. (In 1978, my Uncle the marathon runner was told by his doctor that he- the doc- wished he were in as good of shape as my Uncle- a few months before Uncle dropped dead of a heart attack at 42.) Many of the meds create other problems- a friend with rheumatoid arthritis told me that her meds for that gave her Type II diabetes.

There is, however, an individual component. I remember when, if we wanted French fries or doughnuts, Mom MADE them- and it wasn't very often. Even when McDonald's and Burger Chef came to our town, we rarely ate there. Now you can get French fries that you heat up in the microwave, pizza delivered to your door, and more than you need to eat at cheap buffets. It's very easy and inexpensive to eat an unhealthy diet. There's also a perception that there's a pill for everything. Insulin to moderate blood sugar levels, statins for cholesterol, BP meds- so why worry about prevention?

I've just gonna keep moving and keep eating healthy. It's been working so far.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:11 AM

5,768 posts, read 4,822,990 times
I live in a residential community with mostly retired people. We have a good age spread between 50's to low 80's. It seems that most people who get more than a few years over 80 move back to where they have family. Most of the people here are fairly active, and I see very few that are hunched over or on any walkers or canes. This is more of an active adult type community, so we see people at the gym, playing golf, tennis, pickleball, boating, hiking/walking, and dancing at Friday night tiki party. There are some who are less active, and quite a few I wish wouldn't drive because they are a hazard. But in general, no I don't see anywhere near a majority that are in bad shape.

Personally I'm overweight, but in good health as far as my "numbers" go. I take only one prescription that I've had to take since I was 22. My DH is very slender and takes only a statin, and lately his numbers are great. I'll be 60 in a couple months, DH is 64. I am astounded sometimes by the number of scrips many people take. I believe in taking as little as possible, and that's working for me.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:19 AM

3,686 posts, read 1,863,297 times
I am 63 (next month), slender, no meds. Fairly good mobility, not particularly strong, eat low carb/keto.

Going for a preventative hearth analysis the end of this month, thought ought to be interesting.

Husband is 73, slender, no meds, strong as a 30 year old, active, has high BP though and has had cancer x2.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:33 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

That being said, why is everybody in such bad shape? Thinking back to my parents, when they were that age, and other order people I've known in my life, everyone was fairly active and certainly in decent physical shape well into their 80s. Mentally, I don't recall any relative that became "dody" or mentally clouded at all.

Back in your parents' day, once people starting to decline they usually died. Those that had a long decline often kept hidden away, staying on a couch or in bed. Modern medicine is keeping a lot of these people alive longer, even though many parts of their body have reach the end of their shelf life. Whether or not this is a good thing is up for debate.

People at the end of their lives are now able to take trips and do more things out in a community, and so you see them more often than you might have 50 years ago. Which is a good thing, I think. Might as well enjoy those last days, instead of hiding away at home or never leaving a nursing facility.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:41 AM

As for health habits, I do think one problem is a lot of people didn't get enough exercise during their career years, and continue to not exercise as seniors. Too much sitting can be a real problem. They pay a price for that. Where I live, the rec center seems to be the big place for seniors to hang out (as opposed to a local bar or donut shop) and people seem to be healthier as a result. Even those who don;t really like to exercise much will at least take a stroll around the insde track once or twice, just because they see everyone else doing it.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
As for health habits, I do think one problem is a lot of people didn't get enough exercise during their career years, and continue to not exercise as seniors. Too much sitting can be a real problem. They pay a price for that. Where I live, the rec center seems to be the big place for seniors to hang out (as opposed to a local bar or donut shop) and people seem to be healthier as a result. Even those who don;t really like to exercise much will at least take a stroll around the insde track once or twice, just because they see everyone else doing it.

As I typed this, it occurred to me that "like attracts like." In other words, we moved to this community partially BECAUSE we liked to stay in shape and liked the rec center. And I think a lot of other people did, too. So people around here tend to be in shape, and that affects other seniors around here. I'm not all that familiar with Branson, but I'm familiar with a lot of small towns in Arkansas, which is right next door. Like attracts like there, too, but for them it seems to be people who sits a lot and over eat a lot like to be around other people who do that. And an awful lot of unhealthy people I knew in Arkansas liked to go to Branson, where they enjoy eating a lot of fatty foods, they drink a lot, and they sit around watching shows. (As opposed to other seniors I knew in Arkansas who seemed to have healthier lifestyles, and who preferred a vacation hiking or going out on one of the many lakes there.) I'm sure there are all sorts of people who like to go to Branson, but I do think it has a certain attraction for people with poor health, since it's a relatively easy place to visit.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 11-10-2018 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or