U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:39 AM

1,249 posts, read 590,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Well, if you are certified healthy and think you and your wife will remain so, you can always opt to simply pay the penalty for not having coverage.

Some companies offer ridiculously stupid coverage just to get you out from under the penalty, like Magnacare's MEC (minimum essential coverage) Plan. All this plan covers is one check up per year that you have to emerge from with no positive diagnosis to be covered for the visit. It has to be a 'wellcare' visit. I don't know if other insurance companies have such offerings. Im not sure what it costs, but one would assume it would be less than the penalty per year, otherwise it offers no benefit to the person purchasing it at all.
We are all "certified healthy" until we are not. Not to mention the healthcare costs that can result from accidents. Going without coverage would be way too much risk for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 03:41 PM

591 posts, read 295,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Well, if you are certified healthy and think you and your wife will remain so, you can always opt to simply pay the penalty for not having coverage.

Some companies offer ridiculously stupid coverage just to get you out from under the penalty, like Magnacare's MEC (minimum essential coverage) Plan. All this plan covers is one check up per year that you have to emerge from with no positive diagnosis to be covered for the visit. It has to be a 'wellcare' visit. I don't know if other insurance companies have such offerings. Im not sure what it costs, but one would assume it would be less than the penalty per year, otherwise it offers no benefit to the person purchasing it at all.
There is **no penalty** to not have insurance anymore.

Just get ObummerCare when you get seriously ill- problem solved!

Remember- the insurance will cover pre-existing conditions (as of now).

Old 11-13-2018, 03:46 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
OP murph1982, I see you live in New Jersey. New Jersey has the ‘Individual Health Coverage (IHC) Program'.
You could read through the info below on the IHC, and see if any of it applies to you for obtaining health insurance coverage.

https://www.state.nj.us/dobi/divisio...eh/ihcmain.htm

https://www.state.nj.us/dobi/divisio...crates2018.htm

https://www.state.nj.us/dobi/divisio...guide/2019.pdf

https://www.state.nj.us/dobi/divisio...seh/index.html

The Individual Health Coverage (IHC) Program was created to ensure that people without access to employer or government sponsored health care programs could purchase health coverage for themselves and their families from a variety of private carriers.

Individual standard health benefits plans are available as coverage for a Single Person, Two Adults, a Family, or an Adult and Child(ren).

For more information, such as How to Get Coverage, Eligibility and Frequently Asked Questions, see the IHC Buyer's Guide at https://www.state.nj.us/dobi/divisio...guide/2019.pdf

Old 11-13-2018, 05:11 PM

160 posts, read 89,212 times
I'm on one of the ACA plans (there aren't many to choose from depending on where you live). My insurance is currently $940.00 a month and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't go up in January. I turn 65 in May & can't wait!

Old 11-14-2018, 12:54 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,482,581 times
Do people understand your 401k isn't guaranteed? Retire and it loses value then what? People forget 2008...

Old 11-14-2018, 02:45 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
Nothing is guaranteed , not even a pension level.

But unless a retiree exhibited poor investor behavior 2008 really was a non event . Yeah it may have been nerve wracking for sure but in the scheme of things the 2008 retiree was just fine.

You just need to have a balanced portfolio to get over the rough spots . Typically we don’t spend stocks when markets are shown . Normal rebalancing would be spending bonds and cash and maybe even buying stocks to get rebalanced .

Old 11-14-2018, 04:42 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,071,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nothing is guaranteed , not even a pension level.

But unless a retiree exhibited poor investor behavior 2008 really was a non event . Yeah it may have been nerve wracking for sure but in the scheme of things the 2008 retiree was just fine.

You just need to have a balanced portfolio to get over the rough spots . Typically we donít spend stocks when markets are shown . Normal rebalancing would be spending bonds and cash and maybe even buying stocks to get rebalanced .
One could argue social security is not guaranteed, long term anyway.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:54 AM

11,990 posts, read 5,122,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs9 View Post
I'm on one of the ACA plans (there aren't many to choose from depending on where you live). My insurance is currently $940.00 a month and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't go up in January. I turn 65 in May & can't wait!
That's more than the monthly mortgage on my house. That's crazy to me.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:17 PM

2,788 posts, read 996,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's more than the monthly mortgage on my house. That's crazy to me.
It is crazy. My insurance premium thru work is higher than my mortgage

Old 11-15-2018, 04:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
It is crazy. My insurance premium thru work is higher than my mortgage
or...HC costs that are 3x as high as my highest mortgage and 28x my monthly food budget.

It's a Challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement