U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 08:29 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,645,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
One can definitely stay alive without exercise. The question is quality of life. Can you get around the way you want to? Can you pick up things from the floor, can you cut your toe nails, if you fall, can you get up on your own, can you get out of a chair on your own, if there was an emergency, can you get yourself out without needing assistance?

There are many more options besides jogging. Why not increase your walking to a few miles? Heck, do something simple like Leslie Sansone walking workouts. She has distances from 1-5 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeZ29umqVE

Swimming laps and increasing the speed is very beneficial. Itís low impact on the joints but improves flexibility and can be a good cardio work out. I usually do water exercises first, then walk backwards /forwards a few times, then get into the lap swimming 30/40 mins. These were recommended by my physical therapists and personal trainer over the years since I have a ongoing back issue, not helped by a car accident years ago, and now age related disc degeneration and arthritis. Luckily after a summer of swimming Iím now able to walk and hike but itís not as good for maintaining my back health and flexibility as swimming.
Canít seem to find a local indoor pool yet since moving to this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 08:39 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,314,379 times
Default Some people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't understand the "sleep" or "exercise" camps. They go hand-in-hand.

People need different amounts of sleep. Personally, I really need eight, preferably closer to nine, to feel good. I can make it on seven. I've had about 8.5 the last two nights (roughly falling at 10 and getting up at 7, minus a little bit of time awake to go to the bathroom), and feel good today. If I get six hours of sleep or less, I'm struggling through the day. I'm a complete mess with six or less for more than one day in a row. If I can only get four or five hours of sleep for whatever reason, I might as well just stay up.

If you're doing vigorous exercise, you probably need more sleep than the average person just to help the body repair itself from the exercise. I also don't sleep as well unless I get some sort of physical activity in during the day. If I don't sleep much, I'm too tired to do much exercise. There's a relationship here.

I try to walk a mile or so most days on lunch, weather permitting. This time of the year is really tough for me with the short days and bad weather. I forced myself to go to the gym Tuesday night - walked two miles, tread water for ten minutes, swam some more, and did some weights. I felt better afterward than if I had just gone home.
Just want to argue extremes and be negative. Of course sleep and exercise go hand in hand. Doing one to the exclusion of the other is counter productive.

Personally, for me a variety of exercise, including daily activity, seems to be keeping my blood work normal. Sleep is something I have to work on, my brain keeps going a mile a minute when I try to go to sleep. I know if I am a couch potato for a day, I wonít sleep well that night.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:59 AM

5,446 posts, read 2,833,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The retiree organization I belong to is OLLI, Osher Lifelong Learning. It is all about learning and has nothing to do with a "defeatist attitude". I do suspect we are happy you do not belong.

I started this with a discussion of the difficulty of maintaining strength as we age. It seems you are doing well with exercise and strength, but nevertheless are extremely sensitive about your age. Good for you, I guess you have nothing to contribute to the discussion except for some bragging. Ho Hum.
I don’t need to join a group to continue lifelong learning, so the feeling is mutual.

Bragging? I think you are the one being extremely sensitive. My age is NOYB other than that I am in my senior years. It is outright rude to ask someone how old they are, especially on an open Internet forum.

You are contributing nothing by insisting that people in their 70s and 80s should, basically, give up exercising. Your choice to “return to a sedentary lifestyle” and letting legs “turn to mush” even after getting in shape on vacation (an incentivizer for most people) is just that: YOUR choice.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:17 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,737,090 times
I didn't say older people should quit exercising. I said it doesn't payoff very well.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:52 AM

13,236 posts, read 6,340,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I didn't say older people should quit exercising. I said it doesn't payoff very well.
Not according to one lady in my bridge class and sheís 92, she said she did all sort of exercises. Sheís still driving and travels own her own. Iím going to try my best to emulate her.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:56 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So why are you not scheduled for a THR??? You are losing muscle tone and making for a much more difficult recovery by putting it off. Thatís just foolish.
I'm not ready yet! I'm still riding the bike. And it's too late anyway, I'm going on Obamacare January 1, so I'm going to have to wait 5 years when I'm eligible for Medicare.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:14 PM

1,926 posts, read 990,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Of course people understand, it's common knowledge that you have to move around or you turn into mush.

Yoga takes care of that for me.

I agree that yoga is good and I also like isometrics. I can see improvement in my 70something upper arms without compromising my somewhat fragile hands and shoulders.

OP, must you go home? Maybe travel is the key to fitness for you. Go home just long enough to plan another trip.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 PM

4,828 posts, read 1,845,165 times
I like to walk, but I get bored easily and in theory, should drive to different areas to walk, but I usually don't do that.

Also, there are tons of coyotes where I live, so you can't walk with your dog before daybreak or after dusk. I love to walk at dusk, and now can't.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:12 PM

23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I like to walk, but I get bored easily and in theory, should drive to different areas to walk, but I usually don't do that.

Also, there are tons of coyotes where I live, so you can't walk with your dog before daybreak or after dusk. I love to walk at dusk, and now can't.
I prefer to be outside walking or hiking.

I've never had any inclination to run. I've hated the little bit I've done of it. I will occasionally ride a bicycle on the paved biking trails around here. During the winter, it's basically elliptical and uphill walking on the treadmill. I hike and get out in the woods when I can, but it's difficult with the short days.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:08 PM

2,062 posts, read 867,424 times
I would say do it for enjoyment, not for any hope of staying young and healthy. If you get hit with any kind of serious illness and several weeks in a hospital bed, a whole lifetime of conditioning can be gone for months, or maybe forever. I have heard many times how healthy a person was before they got sick, and how it all changed overnight. As in all things, enjoy it while you can, but there's no guarantees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement