U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 03:21 PM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Not according to one lady in my bridge class and sheís 92, she said she did all sort of exercises. Sheís still driving and travels own her own. Iím going to try my best to emulate her.
I've probably said it previously in another post, beware of genetics! You 2 may not be cut out of the same cloth, and following her routine, you may end up disabled instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 04:02 PM

13,221 posts, read 6,320,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've probably said it previously in another post, beware of genetics! You 2 may not be cut out of the same cloth, and following her routine, you may end up disabled instead.
I don’t get your post. How does exercise get you disable? I may not live as long as her even with the exercise but that’s a different story. Off your meds perhaps?

Old 11-15-2018, 05:03 PM

11,126 posts, read 8,534,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I didn't say older people should quit exercising. I said it doesn't payoff very well.
What payoff are you looking for?

Old 11-15-2018, 06:30 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,283 times
Quote:
I donít get your post. How does exercise get you disable? I may not live as long as her even with the exercise but thatís a different story. Off your meds perhaps?
What a snide comment.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,877,558 times
Quote:
I donít get your post. How does exercise get you disable? I may not live as long as her even with the exercise but thatís a different story. Off your meds perhaps?
I am not the poster you are quoting but don't have trouble comprehending the meaning of the post. It didn't say the exercise caused it. I inferred it meant the same exercise wouldn't yield the same results because of different genetics. I will throw a different factor into the mix - random chance. Some people with a low risk of a condition still get it and some people with a high risk don't. All you can do is try to increase the odds you will live a long and healthy life. Nothing you do will guarantee it. Some obese smokers that can barely walk across a room will see 100, but I wouldn't recommend it as a strategy for a long life.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:32 PM

13,221 posts, read 6,320,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I am not the poster you are quoting but don't have trouble comprehending the meaning of the post. It didn't say the exercise caused it. I inferred it meant the same exercise wouldn't yield the same results because of different genetics. I will throw a different factor into the mix - random chance. Some people with a low risk of a condition still get it and some people with a high risk don't. All you can do is try to increase the odds you will live a long and healthy life. Nothing you do will guarantee it. Some obese smokers that can barely walk across a room will see 100, but I wouldn't recommend it as a strategy for a long life.
No, I agree with that, but that doesn’t mean I stop exercise just because I might not get the same results. But did you see the part about end up being disabled, that’s the strange part. From the post, it seems like she implies I could end up being disable from exercising. Very strange post. Crazy if you ask me.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:29 AM

71,519 posts, read 71,694,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What payoff are you looking for?
it is just as you age it hits a point of diminishing return .

not that , it is a bad thing but just that things get measured more in what you are not losing then in gains .

like i said above in a post , i find it so frustrating for years now to put the time and effort in to going religiously to the gym and working my butt off only to see things stay the same physically now .

of course my wife and i are likely in better shape then 95% of those our ages because we are maintaining what we have ,but it is hard to grasp the concept that now winning is by not losing .

we both were overweight at points in our lives before adopting a different lifestyle 18 years ago so both of us are really proud of each other for keeping the discipline for so long as it is so easy for both of us to put the weight back . more so on my end since i love junk . so not only is she the one that forces us to keep going daily to the gym , but she watches what i eat like a hawk since i am diabetic . i swear she has psychic abilities sometimes as she finds microscopic clues i was eating something is shouldn't .

it has been years since i was able to bench press more than the prior year as an example , but i am still within 10-15 pounds or so of where i was when i peaked .

my wife ,she was never a competitive weightlifter so she does not notice hitting the ceiling like i do . for her she measures things in her body sagging in places . she is also so afraid of putting the weight back on as decades ago she was over weight .

she is 2 years older than me (68) so she has been bumping this limit we hit for quite a while and she too finds it so frustrating but age is what it is .

as most know my wife and i are photographers and the one thing we lack is photos of each other , like the shoemaker with no shoes we rarely have ourselves in pictures , but someone was nice enough to snap a shot of us this week when we were in florida . so this is mrs mathjak107 or as she is known on city data BADCOOK5.

but that is another story . in our house we say our prayers after we eat lol

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-16-2018 at 03:02 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 05:58 AM

10,287 posts, read 4,862,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
DH and I go to the gym about 4 days a week, and exercise hard, and I don't see that changing in our future.

Exercise is very high on our priority list.

Me too as I've seen what living a sedentary lifestyle has done to the rest of my family. Losing the 30 pounds I needed to lose helped keep that momentum going.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:38 AM

71,519 posts, read 71,694,121 times
for most americans weight loss is all about eating less and moving more. very few have actual physical reasons who are not seniors yet . we even have cardio machines at our gym that use hands instead of feet for those with mobility issues

Old 11-16-2018, 07:19 AM

3,486 posts, read 1,913,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is just as you age it hits a point of diminishing return .
For sure, but it's so much better than the alternative of regressing rapidly.

So, to address Jrlinky's claim that exercise doesn't "payoff well" for older folks, It could be argued that it pays off even better for the aged than it does for younger individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement