U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 01:46 PM

10,788 posts, read 10,202,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i was around 160/95 and was on meds . even after i started dong biking and ellipital it sill remained high but not as high .

once i started running 3-4 miles it dropped like a rock. it has been going lower every year . i had my exam last month and i was 120/83
Not sure that running has any specific ability to lower pressure (vs. other cardio machines/activities), but I do a combo of running, stair climbing and elliptical work. I also lifted regularly. My pressure never dropped. Not even a little. On meds it's 120-122/80-83, and may be creeping up.

I'm just one of those unlucky people I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 02:00 PM

71,735 posts, read 71,829,507 times
My heart rate never goes high enough on the elliptical or bike to get in to the 140-160 range unless I run. My legs will give up at that pace way before I am done. I have to pedal like a maniac and even then I can’t get high enoughto make a difference in my pressure . i find running far more intense .

Old 11-16-2018, 02:25 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,377,644 times
I think that eventually giving in to a certain level of physical decline as we age is somewhat normal. Your post would illustrate that, unless you maintain some kind of super-human diligence, this decline is normal and natural. Is the payoff REALLY worth the investment?

Old 11-16-2018, 02:40 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,881,871 times
Quote:
My heart rate never goes high enough on the elliptical or bike to get in to the 140-160 range unless I run. My legs will give up at that pace way before I am done. I have to pedal like a maniac and even then I canít get high enoughto make a difference in my pressure . i find running far more intense .
I can adjust the resistance on just about any cardio machine to a sweet spot that's a pace I can maintain that makes me exert enough energy to get in the high range. I do ARCTrainer nearly exclusively because I can stay at 140+ for so long without the pounding a treadmill gives me (even a good one).

Old 11-16-2018, 02:50 PM

71,735 posts, read 71,829,507 times
i never had any luck getting that sweet spot that lets me do a continuous 40 minutes at that level . so for years now running works the best for me .

Old 11-16-2018, 09:27 PM

9,173 posts, read 3,015,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Those of you in your 50s or 60s probably will not understand. But maybe you should. I know I didn't at that age. I had the idea which was true that I could exert some effort and be strong and healthy. At 72 that has idea is fading. For the past several months I have been traveling and hiking on a frequent basis. Finally I have legs of steel. It took a long time to reach that point.

After months of traveling I will soon be returning home to a more sedentary lifestyle. Those legs of steel will soon turn to mush.

Today I walked for several miles on the sand flats at Death Valley. Then I went out and walked for miles more. As I said great, but mush will soon follow when I stop the daily miles of hiking. My upper body is already mush. The past few days I finally woke up and realized my upper body has turned to mush. I grabbed some exercise bands and tried and tried to overcome months without exercise. I am pissed and tried and tried again to make a difference. Sadly I know it would take months and months and months to make much of a difference. That made me even more pissed.

A few days ago, I was at artists palette in Death Valley. The typical visitor gets out of the car, looks at the scenery and departs in less than 3 minutes. Meanwhile just a few minutes of walking is rewarded with fantastic, surreal scenes that are unique and special. In addition to walking all of the canyons and trails, I spent time watching the visitors. Most visitors arrive at the overlook, take a cellphone snap and then departs within 3 minutes. A few visitors spent longer and may actually walk a few hundred yards. Most of those are foreign visitors.

So I ranted for a while, but I think there is a message here. Research shows the advantages of exercise. We need to exercise all of our muscles on a regular basis and that becomes more and more important as we age. In addition to that there seems to be something drastically wrong with our culture. People from other cultures seem to be less obese, have fewer "joint" issues and exercise more.

You seem to be saying that it's much easier to stay in shape, than to let yourself go soft and then try to get it back. I learned this truth, which applies to those of all ages, when I was young. It's like the amount of energy required to put a rocket into orbit, compared to how little it takes to keep it there, once it's reached escape velocity.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:17 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,746,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You seem to be saying that it's much easier to stay in shape, than to let yourself go soft and then try to get it back. I learned this truth, which applies to those of all ages, when I was young. It's like the amount of energy required to put a rocket into orbit, compared to how little it takes to keep it there, once it's reached escape velocity.

No that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is that as I age into my 70s the value of exercise seems to be minimal and that decline is frustrating. Whether trying to build strength or regain strength, the returns are minimal. It takes twice the effort for half the gains compared with only a few years ago.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:34 AM

18,587 posts, read 9,605,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Of course people understand, it's common knowledge that you have to move around or you turn into mush.

Yoga takes care of that for me.
Yeah, I hope and believe yoga will keep your body working better....I'm just north of 60 and counting on yoga as well as biking, hiking, diet and weight training to keep fit. I would like to hear from someone in their 70's and 80's that regularly do yoga and how much they believe it helps.

My diet, taken from the recommendations in The Plant Paradox has resulted in 10% bodyfat, 45% muscle, low cholesterol, low blood pressure, perfect sugar numbers, and ideal weight.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:07 AM

18,587 posts, read 9,605,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't understand the "sleep" or "exercise" camps. They go hand-in-hand.

People need different amounts of sleep. Personally, I really need eight, preferably closer to nine, to feel good. I can make it on seven. I've had about 8.5 the last two nights (roughly falling at 10 and getting up at 7, minus a little bit of time awake to go to the bathroom), and feel good today. If I get six hours of sleep or less, I'm struggling through the day. I'm a complete mess with six or less for more than one day in a row. If I can only get four or five hours of sleep for whatever reason, I might as well just stay up.

If you're doing vigorous exercise, you probably need more sleep than the average person just to help the body repair itself from the exercise. I also don't sleep as well unless I get some sort of physical activity in during the day. If I don't sleep much, I'm too tired to do much exercise. There's a relationship here.

I try to walk a mile or so most days on lunch, weather permitting. This time of the year is really tough for me with the short days and bad weather. I forced myself to go to the gym Tuesday night - walked two miles, tread water for ten minutes, swam some more, and did some weights. I felt better afterward than if I had just gone home.
I agree that sleep and exercise are essential but unfortunately I suck at sleeping. My wife gets a minimum of 8 hours sleep per day and i'm lucky if I get 6....I would like to sleep more but nothing I've tried works and i don't want to get in a situation where I need to take a pill to sleep. I'm getting ready to retire in a few months and hoping that I can sleep more and better.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:12 AM

10,312 posts, read 4,881,597 times
Quote:
eventually . i just was put on a light dosage 10 days ago after almost 4 years of staying at pre levels .
You might want to pick up a book called The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung. Interesting read as apparently there are better ways to control diabetes than meds & insulin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement