U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 04:16 AM

71,737 posts, read 71,853,273 times

Advertisements

he is big on fasting and low carb diets.

the problem with these diets is the problem with most diets . they are not sustainable ways of eating for most people .

at this stage i am not looking to modify my eating anymore than i have over the years . it is what it is and this is all i can sacrifice or do and still remain happy and not feel deprived .

i have cut carbs to a level i can live with . the problem with most of these books and theories is it is like telling yourself i am only going to breath half a lung of air .

we can do it temporarily but it really is not a way most of us can go through life .

i like my cake at times , i like pizza at times . i like a lot of things that on a strict diet would not be allowed ,cutting out all the things that i still enjoy in moderation would not be sustainable .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 04:28 AM

18,590 posts, read 9,612,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You might want to pick up a book called The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung. Interesting read as apparently there are better ways to control diabetes than meds & insulin.
My sugar number were entering diabetic range and I was getting very alarmed....I read The Plant Paradox and implemented the suggestions and completely went back to normal range...my Dr. said my change was the most remarkable she had seen in 20 years of practice so she read the book, implemented the diet, and is now recommending it to her patients.

Without reading the book you referenced, I would expect them to have many similar recommendations and conclusions.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:57 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,076,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
he is big on fasting and low carb diets.

the problem with these diets is the problem with most diets . they are not sustainable ways of eating for most people .

at this stage i am not looking to modify my eating anymore than i have over the years . it is what it is and this is all i can sacrifice or do and still remain happy and not feel deprived .

i have cut carbs to a level i can live with . the problem with most of these books and theories is it is like telling yourself i am only going to breath half a lung of air .

we can do it temporarily but it really is not a way most of us can go through life .

i like my cake at times , i like pizza at times . i like a lot of things that on a strict diet would not be allowed ,cutting out all the things that i still enjoy in moderation would not be sustainable .
You hit the nail on the head with the word sustainability. Whether the diet be keto, Atkins or whatever, you can only be on the regimen for so long and old habits come back. Exercise and moderation with foods is your best bet.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:59 AM

we can all do anything short term . but diets fail because they lack sustainability .

most leave you hungry and hunger is a pain to the body . you will only endure something that makes you uncomfortable short term . that is why any diets that limit food intake are doomed to fail.

when i was heavy i would have to eat multiple weight watchers meals to feel comfortable lol

Old 11-17-2018, 07:03 AM

18,590 posts, read 9,612,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
You hit the nail on the head with the word sustainability. Whether the diet be keto, Atkins or whatever, you can only be on the regimen for so long and old habits come back. Exercise and moderation with foods is your best bet.
I agree that exercise and moderation is a great goal...I am not impressed with people that don't want to learn more about the impact to the body of proper versus improper diet....I'm probably about 70% compliant with the Plant Paradox recommendations and it's enough to keep me strong and trim because I learned what I shouldn't eat.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:16 AM

3,498 posts, read 1,924,879 times
Quote:
i was around 160/95 and was on meds . even after i started dong biking and ellipital it sill remained high but not as high .

once i started running 3-4 miles it dropped like a rock. it has been going lower every year . i had my exam last month and i was 120/83
I bought one of the Omron wrist blood pressure monitors. Really easy and convenient to use, and they're only about $30. It's interesting to check BP at different times of day, before and after exercising. My average is probably around 110/60, and I attribute the good numbers to running. Lowest is typically hours after a run. Sometimes top number is in the high 90's.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:02 AM

13,265 posts, read 6,356,923 times
Quote:
we can all do anything short term . but diets fail because they lack sustainability .

most leave you hungry and hunger is a pain to the body . you will only endure something that makes you uncomfortable short term . that is why any diets that limit food intake are doomed to fail.

when i was heavy i would have to eat multiple weight watchers meals to feel comfortable lol
My husband has been eating low carb to moderate carb diet for about 5 years. He just eat more vegetables and fruit instead.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:04 AM

i love fruit but it spikes me when i get to much , which ain't much in quantity either

Old 11-17-2018, 10:05 AM

13,265 posts, read 6,356,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I bought one of the Omron wrist blood pressure monitors. Really easy and convenient to use, and they're only about $30. It's interesting to check BP at different times of day, before and after exercising. My average is probably around 110/60, and I attribute the good numbers to running. Lowest is typically hours after a run. Sometimes top number is in the high 90's.
Yeah, running is great for blood pressure. My husband stopped running for at least 2-3 years now due due PF and his blood pressure still 118/60. It stays with you for a while he is near 68. Glucose and A1C level is very good too.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
what is interesting is my sugar is higher after i run , then before . the running dumps glycogen in to the body . kind of like what happens at night when your body thinks you are starving and sugar spikes by morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement