U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 10:07 AM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i love fruit but it spikes me when i get to much , which ain't much in quantity either
I read that about fruit and I was worried that my husband and I are insulin resistant. But we measure our blood glucose and A1C all within normal and lower than normal. So it’s not fruit. Plus lately I eat more plant based at night, I used to go to bed hungry, but not anymore. So I stick to plant based meals at night. In the day is when I have some protein.
Plus a new habit we’ve been doing is quick walk immediately in the neighborhood for 10 minutes, that before doing the dishes and settle down on the comfy couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 10:16 AM

71,563 posts, read 71,730,589 times
my issue is i spike bad 1 hour after eating . by 3 hours you would not know anything was wrong . i also spike at night . my sister is identical . it is that first hour that is killer .

we both can't eat brown rice either .

Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 AM

We only eat black rice with curry. It has the lowest glycemic index. Lower than basmati rice. But mostly eat yams, low glycemic index.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:48 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,071,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We only eat black rice with curry. It has the lowest glycemic index. Lower than basmati rice. But mostly eat yams, low glycemic index.
I have never tried black rice, will have to give that try. Not sure I can get past the odor of curry.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:27 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,690,699 times
I recently started horseback riding at age 64 after not riding for 44 years. I have to say, I'm especially glad I've gone out of my way to stay in shape over the years, because although it looks like riding is easy and you just sit on the horse when it goes, it actually requires a lot of muscle strength. And where I ride, our lessons are 3 hours long; we have to catch and groom the horse from head to hoof, tack them up, then ride, then untack, do a lighter grooming including hooves, and clean the tack. Saddles aren't light and I have to carry mine up and down a steep, narrow stairway to the tack room, and bending over to pick 4 hooves completely clean is no easy task when you get older.

I always thought I was just staying in shape to maintain my weight, muscle tone, and cardiac conditioning, but now I see an unforeseen advantage in that it's allowing me to go back to a childhood passion that many people my age might struggle to do.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:17 PM

12,255 posts, read 12,503,351 times
I try to spend 4 hours a day in moderate physical exercise, like carpentry, car repair, cutting firewood, etc. Living in the country makes it easy, since there is always something that needs doing. I have to get the leaves raked before Wednesday, because they are predicting rain.

The key is to not just sit. You don't have to overdo things, but you have to keep moving if you want to keep moving.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:22 PM

Even cooking is an exercise. Lots of chopping, standing up, move around. Squeezing lemons or orange juice exercise the wrist. I know my sister complained she could squeeze a lemon anymore. She doesn’t cook that much. I swear both of my aunts who are alive and kicking, not on wheelchair, do a lot of cooking still for the whole family. It’s quite a task for a 90 year old.

I think the problem people have now is that they go to Costco to get a chicke for food, so no exercise involved when it comes to food preparation.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:05 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,360,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I agree that exercise and moderation is a great goal...I am not impressed with people that don't want to learn more about the impact to the body of proper versus improper diet....I'm probably about 70% compliant with the Plant Paradox recommendations and it's enough to keep me strong and trim because I learned what I shouldn't eat.
I will tell you the same thing I told the last person who touted a similar mindset.

People get annoyed with me when I tell them I can't stand the taste of vegetables. I get all kinds of pap like "You can learn to prepare them in a way that tastes good to you" or "your palate will eventually get used to the taste, you just have to keep trying","isn't your health important enough for you to try?"

So I say to them.... What if your doctor told you that you need to eat a big, steaming bowl of fresh dog poop every morning? What if they said "You can learn to prepare them in a way that tastes good to you" or "your palate will eventually get used to the taste, you just have to keep trying","isn't your health important enough for you to try?"

To me a bowl of spinach or broccoli or carrots is exactly the same as dog poop. If I have to eat it to be healthy then I'm gonna be sick.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:11 PM

71,563 posts, read 71,730,589 times
I agree . Man didn't claw his way to the top of the food chain to eat carrots

Old 11-17-2018, 06:28 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
I spent years doing research in nutrition. Sadly it is a nightmare with very little valid research. Few major studies. Lots of well intentioned people who express their opinions, others who are outright con artists, others trying to sell books and gain publicity. To make it worse the supplement industry is huge and unregulated. In fact their is little or no regulation of our food supply. The Department of Agriculture is charged with promoting agriculture. It is basically a trade organization funded by the Federal government. The FDA has very, very little ability to do anything. They are forbidden to investigate any claims good or bad regarding the food supply, nutrition, or supplements. As long as the con artist claims that their products do not diagnose or treat any disease, they are off the hook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement