U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 07:10 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I spent years doing research in nutrition. Sadly it is a nightmare with very little valid research. Few major studies. Lots of well intentioned people who express their opinions, others who are outright con artists, others trying to sell books and gain publicity. To make it worse the supplement industry is huge and unregulated. In fact their is little or no regulation of our food supply. The Department of Agriculture is charged with promoting agriculture. It is basically a trade organization funded by the Federal government. The FDA has very, very little ability to do anything. They are forbidden to investigate any claims good or bad regarding the food supply, nutrition, or supplements. As long as the con artist claims that their products do not diagnose or treat any disease, they are off the hook.
If you haven't heard of this publication, they are the best for debunking this type of thing but you can also learn what isn't a scam. I have been following them for years.

https://cspinet.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 07:14 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
What is the big deal about nutrition? I can understand debate about the minutiae around optimization for serious athletes.

For the rest of us, basic, healthy nutrition information is readily available everywhere.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:32 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,890,612 times
Years ago I talked to a man in Lowes. I had to reach up to get something off a high shelf and complained that it was harder than it used to be.

He told me to start now to stay in shape because once you lose it it is very hard to get it back.

He was right.

We have decided that since we live in a very hilly area that we are going to create a path in our house for walking and do it a few times a week. I am going to measure the distance and figure out how many times a week we have to, and how many times we have to walk the path. Level is important for me as I have peripheral neuropathy and a bad hip. Slopes and uneven ground are an invitation for disaster,

Old 11-17-2018, 09:22 PM

18,521 posts, read 9,574,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I will tell you the same thing I told the last person who touted a similar mindset.

People get annoyed with me when I tell them I can't stand the taste of vegetables. I get all kinds of pap like "You can learn to prepare them in a way that tastes good to you" or "your palate will eventually get used to the taste, you just have to keep trying","isn't your health important enough for you to try?"

So I say to them.... What if your doctor told you that you need to eat a big, steaming bowl of fresh dog poop every morning? What if they said "You can learn to prepare them in a way that tastes good to you" or "your palate will eventually get used to the taste, you just have to keep trying","isn't your health important enough for you to try?"

To me a bowl of spinach or broccoli or carrots is exactly the same as dog poop. If I have to eat it to be healthy then I'm gonna be sick.
One of the best things I learned from reading The Plant Paradox is that some plants and other foods promoted for health are actually bad for you and some of the foods I enjoy are not...so the first foods jettisoned were foods that I previously thought were healthy and ate them which were actually harming me.

In my case, my sugar numbers were entering diabetes stage and I've seen what diabetes does and opted out of it. Now I feel and look much better and couldn't be happier that I found a sustainable diet that is healthy.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:31 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What is the big deal about nutrition? I can understand debate about the minutiae around optimization for serious athletes.

For the rest of us, basic, healthy nutrition information is readily available everywhere.
Because of your young age, you may not realize the big deal about nutrition for many elderly people.

With age concerns regarding blood sugar levels, cholestrol, kidney, liver health and health become more likely to come up. Many of the problems related to these conditions can be greatly helped if not entirely managed by proper nutrition without having to resort to drugs.

Also, as some people age, certain people become unable to eat certain foods. If these foods are important to good health, it's important to have knowledge as to what can be substituted with equal nutritional benefits.

Maybe when you reach retirement age you'll run into some of this, maybe not. Everyone of every age should be aware of good nutrition of course.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:44 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,728,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Name one reliable source, please.

Consider some specifics. Which is great or harmful? Egg? Coffee? A glass or two of wine? Do even minimal research and you will soon enter never never land.

How about the common apple. It contains sugars and some fiber. Anything else or could you duplicate the nutritional value with a tablespoon of sugar and a chaw of newspaper? BTW, the apple contains virtually no essential vitamins or minerals.

Asparagus... pretty potent stuff especially when going #1. Is that potent stuff carcinogenic or do you know?

We all need vitamins and minerals, almost by definition. Any idea how the daily values on those labels are determined?

I could go on and on. Nutritional information is largely just conjecture.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:29 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,728,813 times
As the OP of this thread, it seems I hit on a topic that is of general concern.

I am still aggravated that at 72 years old, it takes a huge amount of exercise and work to see any positive gains from exercise. I am now heading back to Long Island after several months of travel which included lots and lots of walking. Those leg muscles I finally built will soon turn to mush. I have days and days of travel to cross the country. Clearly I wont be walking much while driving. Then I return to cold and snow. That should finish me off. I just cannot handle walking around the neighborhood in the cold. Years ago I tried going to LA Fitness.....hated it, every single minute. I just hate gyms and the time lost doing nothing but exercise. Even more I hate the music they play that cannot be stopped by earplugs. I hate the young managers who think the blaring semi-hiphop music is cool. I thought about racket ball, but at my age I know better.

As I return home I am also thinking of my attempts at archery. Strength was always one of my limitations. On my travels I practiced maybe 4-5 times for a couple of hours each. It is frowned upon to pull out a bow and start practicing in a National Park. I know. I tried it once years ago.

So, again, I pull out the exercise bands and frustrate myself. Ten years ago I could have put in some effort and at least made it to near State championship level. I hate not being able to succeed because the body will not cooperate.

On this trip, I also compared myself to a trip only a few years ago. At that time, I pushed myself. I climbed the dunes at Great Sand Dunes NP. I powered myself above the usual areas back into the designated wilderness areas. I thought I might die, but I made it. This year I faced a simpler challenge in another area. I didn't even try. I knew my body would not stand being pushed as far as needed.

I don't know about the rest of you but getting old physically is a major disappointment. I am not sure how to handle it. Advice is welcomed. Just taking things easy is one thing I will not do. My life has been about trying to do my best. Sitting on the couch is just not good enough.

On the positive side, I am returning with great memories and hundreds of gigs in my photography files. I can sit for weeks on end hours and hours a day, culling, processing and working on those files.... Yup, mushy muscles... So I grab those exercise bands and punish myself wondering if it does any good.

Thanksgivings coming. I will be on the road, eating Johnsonville sausages with thanks for a good life and wishing for more.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:44 AM

1,946 posts, read 1,336,418 times
Treadmill in your residence that way you can avoid people you don't want to associate with?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:47 AM

71,550 posts, read 71,712,424 times
make sure you get one that can hold the right amount of clothes

Old 11-18-2018, 07:05 AM

1,088 posts, read 650,499 times
Quote:
My upper body is already mush. The past few days I finally woke up and realized my upper body has turned to mush. I grabbed some exercise bands and tried and tried to overcome months without exercise. I am pissed and tried and tried again to make a difference. Sadly I know it would take months and months and months to make much of a difference. That made me even more pissed.
It doesn't have to take months - and even if it does, so what? Treat it as a journey and not a destination..

Also, ditch the rubber bands and use an actual barbell or set of dumbbells instead. Even if you have to use an empty bar with no weight - there's no shame in it. You will see much better results with that than you ever will with the rubber bands.

Quote:
I spent years doing research in nutrition. Sadly it is a nightmare with very little valid research. Few major studies. Lots of well intentioned people who express their opinions, others who are outright con artists, others trying to sell books and gain publicity. To make it worse the supplement industry is huge and unregulated. In fact their is little or no regulation of our food supply. The Department of Agriculture is charged with promoting agriculture. It is basically a trade organization funded by the Federal government. The FDA has very, very little ability to do anything. They are forbidden to investigate any claims good or bad regarding the food supply, nutrition, or supplements. As long as the con artist claims that their products do not diagnose or treat any disease, they are off the hook.
Nutrition is not rocket science and I really have no idea of what you're getting at here...

Basically all you need to know is there are good foods and there are bad foods. Fish, meat, poultry, whole grains, fruit and vegetables, etc are good. Potato chips, soda, and chocolate are bad foods.

One would think someone who had spent years researching nutrition would know these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement