U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 07:49 AM

6,251 posts, read 4,728,813 times

Advertisements

What is wrong with chocolate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 07:51 AM

1,088 posts, read 650,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
What is wrong with chocolate?
Nothing... eat all you want. Enjoy.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:56 AM

71,536 posts, read 71,712,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
It doesn't have to take months - and even if it does, so what? Treat it as a journey and not a destination..

Also, ditch the rubber bands and use an actual barbell or set of dumbbells instead. Even if you have to use an empty bar with no weight - there's no shame in it. You will see much better results with that than you ever will with the rubber bands.

Nutrition is not rocket science and I really have no idea of what you're getting at here...

Basically all you need to know is there are good foods and there are bad foods. Fish, meat, poultry, whole grains, fruit and vegetables, etc are good. Potato chips, soda, and chocolate are bad foods.

One would think someone who had spent years researching nutrition would know these things.
however diet can get a whole lot more complex for those who have reason to be on that diet .

as an example , while there are , better choices for diabetics not all diabetics can eat those choices .

i can't eat brown rice and most grains . fruits are a mixed bag , some low glycemic fruits spike me bad .

so a lot of what constitutes a healthy diet has to be found on an individual basis in many cases .

when i lost about 50 pounds many years ago before i was a type 2 , i responded terribly to a low carb diet . my success was eating a low fat , high carb , vegetarian diet back then , specifically the dr mcdougle eating plan .

i always felt full and because the fat was so low the volume of food kicked up a lot , unlike something like south beach or atkins which i thought sucked for me energy wise and i was always hungry because to keep calories low the volume of food was less

Old 11-18-2018, 07:58 AM

3,487 posts, read 1,915,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I try to spend 4 hours a day in moderate physical exercise, like carpentry, car repair, cutting firewood, etc. Living in the country makes it easy, since there is always something that needs doing. I have to get the leaves raked before Wednesday, because they are predicting rain.

The key is to not just sit. You don't have to overdo things, but you have to keep moving if you want to keep moving.
Sounds like the retirement I'm envisioning, starting next month. I will still run once or twice a week, as long as possible. Never on pavement though.

My father had excellent muscle tone into his 70's, despite never "working out". He was just an active, outdoorsy guy. Ate and drank whatever he wanted. I've got his metabolism-impossible to gain weight.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:58 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
however diet can get a whole lot more complex for those who have reason to be on that diet .

as an example , while there are , better choices for diabetics not all diabetics can eat those choices .

i can't eat brown rice and most grains . fruits are a mixed bag , some low glycemic fruits spike me bad .

so a lot of what constitutes a healthy diet has to be found on an individual basis in many cases .

when i lost about 50 pounds many years ago before i was a type 2 , i responded terribly to a low carb diet . my success was eating a low fat , high carb , vegetarian diet back then , specifically the dr mcdougle eating plan .

i always felt full and because the fat was so low the volume of food kicked up a lot , unlike something like south beach or atkins which i thought sucked for me energy wise and i was always hungry because to keep calories low the volume of food was less
The bad thing about diets is sometimes genetics trumps everything and medication is the only solution to some health issues.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
The bad thing about diets is sometimes genetics trumps everything and medication is the only solution to some health issues.
A type 1 diabetic being a good example. Otherwise, this is fairly rare.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:12 AM

71,536 posts, read 71,712,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
yep , i come from a long line of diabetics, all type 2 . i could delay it but it was inevitable that one day i would need some meds . that day was 2 weeks ago .

Old 11-18-2018, 08:16 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yep , i come from a long line of diabetics, all type 2 . i could delay it but it was inevitable that one day i would need some meds . that day was 2 weeks ago .
You probably do not need as high of a dose as many others due to exercise and diet so less side effects which is a good thing. Sometimes the side effects can really be a bummer with medications.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:07 AM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
I see nothing wrong with eating lots of vegetables. My husband and I eat at least 3 types of vegetables in one meal. Our two fridges are full of vegetables and fruit. 6 lbs of carrots in one week. We used to eat lots of broccoli but not any more. We eat broccoli if it’s served in the restaurant. We don’t feel like we’re on diet. We do enjoy eating them.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I see nothing wrong with eating lots of vegetables. My husband and I eat at least 3 types of vegetables in one meal. Our two fridges are full of vegetables and fruit. 6 lbs of carrots in one week. We used to eat lots of broccoli but not any more. We eat broccoli if itís served in the restaurant. We donít feel like weíre on diet. We do enjoy eating them.
I'm afraid the complainant has never had the pleasure of having them prepared in a tasty manner. As a young man, I avoided greens and vegetables too. Fortunately my eventual wife was wiser than me regarding diet and also a skilled cook, so now I love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement