U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:15 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,458,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
For the past several months I have been traveling and hiking on a frequent basis. Finally I have legs of steel.

After months of traveling I will soon be returning home to a more sedentary lifestyle. Those legs of steel will soon turn to mush.
Don't quite understand why you believe this. Can you not continue walking and hiking when you get home?

If your home is in 'snow country', there are few exercises for a body better than cross-country skiing. Swimming is touted to being a "full body workout". Cross-country skiing is close to swimming in its health benefits.

Also, you may start walking/hiking with hiking poles. That will get your arms working.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 06:20 AM

75 posts, read 27,365 times
OP. Go hike to the top of Telescope Peak. The views are great. Also, use ski poles or something when you hike; it gives your arms a little workout too. And get a girlfriend; you can wrestle with her.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:29 AM

3,341 posts, read 3,045,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I just want to be able to get up from a sitting position without aching so badly. I also want to feel better able to prevent myself from falling. My issue on that is not a balance issue - it is one of thigh strength, so I have added ankle weights to help with that as well. My ability to catch myself in a fall...has fallen dramatically in the past couple years.
As mentioned, ankle weights will NOT help your quad/hip strength. Do sit-to-stands or goblet squats to build this strength. As you get stronger, hold a weight.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a...-goblet-squat/

Old 11-13-2018, 07:39 AM

7,612 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
After so many years of cardio ,running is the only cardio that works as cardio for me . The elliptical or bike all have my legs give out way before I get my heart rate up in to a cardio range that actually has improved my numbers .

It's possible to get a cardio effect without doing much cardio, through systematic strength training.

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should be doing, though, since we're all different.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:43 AM

71,493 posts, read 71,674,131 times
You can do it via large muscle group repitions but in my case not so good . Running is very intense for me and gets my heart working higher and longer which is what I seem to need to make a difference.

On the other hand my wife does fine with no running and far less intense cardio then me.

At this point I went from so high pressure wise I was on meds to actually low blood pressure . When I went for an echo cardio gram they saw a lot of capacity in my heart and actually questioned my activities . It has been at least 5 years now I use runnng as my main exercise and the other stuff just for warming up but we have been gym rats for 18 years now

Old 11-13-2018, 07:43 AM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
67 and walk 5 to 10 miles a day at 6,000 to 7,000 feet elevation. Anyway, just walking around the block will do a person good.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:57 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,640,290 times
After spending a few weeks in Taiwan to visit family I can tell you itís not that they exercise more ,itís because they have to walk everywhere more. Their culture is set up for walking with sidewalks and a top notch public transport.

I donít think people are ignorant about why exercise is important ,but how we exercise is different for everyone and judging others based on observation at a tourist site may not share the full story. During the summer months I swim laps every morning and evening, and do indoor exercises for my back and hamstrings. There is no way Iím going to hike or walk too much anywhere during the hot summer when itís a 100 degrees +

In the winter months we hike and last week we did a intermediate trail that lasted 4 1/2 hours. Not doing that again, bit too long for my liking. I will however not have legs of steel and never will. Nor will my back ever improve. The only thing I can do is keep it at bay so My main focus is on flexibility. So if you see someone like me just hopping out to get a few shots of a scenic spot keep in mind Iíve done my daily exercises and want to focus only on the breathtaking beauty that moment.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:05 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,920 times
I got scared of going into my 60s overweight, out of shape and drinking too much. Increases risk of poor health and early death quite a bit. That happened last year, when I was 58 and I decided to make the change and turn 60 healthy. So far, I have stuck to it. I have had a BMI below 25 for months. I haven't had a drink in over 500 days. I will turn 60 next month with visible abs. It wasn't too late for me to make the change. The other thing that got me going was seeing some of the decline. Early last year I had an arthritic spike that caused me to use a cane part of the time. No spikes since losing ~65 pounds.
It will only get harder if you put it off.

On the subject of judging people by how much walking they do at overlooks, there is just way too much you can't know. I hate to miss scenic spots and sometimes pull in when I barely have time to do more than hop out.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:08 AM

71,493 posts, read 71,674,131 times
My cardiologist said it best .There is a difference between cardio for growth vs cardio that is merely just exercise .

Doing the things we normally do in life like walking , going up steps , carrying the shopping and to some extent even cycling for the average person ,since it is non weight bearing , are things we normally do in the course of a day . So these are not going to give you cardio growth unless you are in very poor shape .

Real cardio growth happens from doing the things you can’t do and don’t do efficiently . Walking we are all very efficient at . Try very very fast walking and see how brutal that can get once you break out of that efficient stride. We run very inefficiently and that increases demands . So it depends what your real goal is.

Once you are efficient at something it loses its cardio growth status and just becomes exercise or even the norm

Old 11-13-2018, 08:11 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,640,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My cardiologist said it best .There is a difference between cardio for growth vs cardio that is merely just exercise .

Doing the things we normally do in life like walking , going up steps , carrying the shopping and to some extent even cycling since it is non weigh bearing i, in the course of a day are not going to give you cardio growth unless you are in very poor shape .

Real cardio growth happens from doing the things you canít do and donít do efficiently . Walking we are all very efficient at . Try very very fast walking and see how brutal that can get once you break out of that efficient stride. We run very inefficiently and that increases demands . So it depends what your real goal is
Yep, know the difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement