U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 09:33 AM

13,229 posts, read 6,331,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I'm afraid the complainant has never had the pleasure of having them prepared in a tasty manner. As a young man, I avoided greens and vegetables too. Fortunately my eventual wife was wiser than me regarding diet and also a skilled cook, so now I love them.
I grow my own vegetables and they do taste much better. Lately, I’m unable to grow as much, I buy half of mine from the farmers market. Very fresh, doesn’t have to organic even. I usually prefer my very plain to go with tasty meat. My husband won’t eat the meat unless he has lots of vegs with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 09:44 AM

5,430 posts, read 2,827,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
make sure you get one that can hold the right amount of clothes
Best post in the thread!

Old 11-18-2018, 10:05 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Yeah, mathjak was dead on with that post. Sticking to regular use (enough to make a real difference) of a home exercise machine is not really common. People that are serious enough about it to get a small home gym fare better, but they are usually long time gym rats just making it more convenient. IME, a single piece of cardio equipment is extremely likely to drop from frequent substantial use to infrequent light use pretty quickly. There are exceptions; there is a popular rowing machine that collects shareable stats with a big online community that has regular challenges and competitions.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,071,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Yeah, mathjak was dead on with that post. Sticking to regular use (enough to make a real difference) of a home exercise machine is not really common. People that are serious enough about it to get a small home gym fare better, but they are usually long time gym rats just making it more convenient. IME, a single piece of cardio equipment is extremely likely to drop from frequent substantial use to infrequent light use pretty quickly. There are exceptions; there is a popular rowing machine that collects shareable stats with a big online community that has regular challenges and competitions.
I find it more convenient to exercise at home. I have a treadmill, power rider, Weider ABS shaper and some dumbbells. I start on treadmill and go from there. Not enough weights to be a power builder by any means but enough for strength building. The treadmill and dumbbells I bought new the other things bought used and cheap.

I can see where going to a gym would have advantages with the latest and greatest equipment.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:25 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I find it more convenient to exercise at home. I have a treadmill, power rider, Weider ABS shaper and some dumbbells. I start on treadmill and go from there. Not enough weights to be a power builder by any means but enough for strength building. The treadmill and dumbbells I bought new the other things bought used and cheap.

I can see where going to a gym would have advantages with the latest and greatest equipment.
You are kind of in the gray area between the single cardio machine and the home gym, serious enough to keep acquiring equipment past the first cardio machine. It's obviously not an absolute that people don't use their single home cardio machines; it's just extremely common. A lot of people don't realize the floor space they need also. It's possible to use one without space around it but not all that practical.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:41 AM

12,259 posts, read 12,503,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What is the big deal about nutrition? I can understand debate about the minutiae around optimization for serious athletes.

For the rest of us, basic, healthy nutrition information is readily available everywhere.
You nailed it. The key to good nutrition is to eat a variety of meaty and planty bits. That's all there is to it. People generally do eat too much meaty bits, but you need at least 1/4 lb. a day. The planty bits keep you from getting constipated.

The key to healthy and active longevity is exercise.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
As the OP of this thread, it seems I hit on a topic that is of general concern.

I am still aggravated that at 72 years old, it takes a huge amount of exercise and work to see any positive gains from exercise. I am now heading back to Long Island after several months of travel which included lots and lots of walking. Those leg muscles I finally built will soon turn to mush.
It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. The key is "several months of walking." If you can't walk outside, go to the mall and do 10 laps a day. Keep that up for the next 20 years and you will be fine.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
however diet can get a whole lot more complex for those who have reason to be on that diet .

as an example , while there are , better choices for diabetics not all diabetics can eat those choices .

i can't eat brown rice and most grains . fruits are a mixed bag , some low glycemic fruits spike me bad .

so a lot of what constitutes a healthy diet has to be found on an individual basis in many cases .

when i lost about 50 pounds many years ago before i was a type 2 , i responded terribly to a low carb diet . my success was eating a low fat , high carb , vegetarian diet back then , specifically the dr mcdougle eating plan .

i always felt full and because the fat was so low the volume of food kicked up a lot , unlike something like south beach or atkins which i thought sucked for me energy wise and i was always hungry because to keep calories low the volume of food was less
The problem most diabetics have is that they are overweight and out of shape. Increase muscle mass to limit insulin resistance. Or watch TV, take drugs, and eat sawdust.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:13 PM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
diabetes is genetic . it is usually passed on down the gene pool . being overweight can bring it on sooner but usually it is inevitable.

i have spent the last 18 years as a gym rat . i delayed it until the last few years and finally reached the point of needing some low dosage meds .

i am muscular and run 3-4 miles every other day but nothing can stop it from advancing as i age . it is the same for my sister .

Old 11-18-2018, 12:17 PM

15,238 posts, read 8,527,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The problem most diabetics have is that they are overweight and out of shape. Increase muscle mass to limit insulin resistance. Or watch TV, take drugs, and eat sawdust.
See, I just don't get how this is helpful - you were responding to mathjak who several times talked about his diet and various workouts - but still this jab! Even if you weren't blaming MJ specifically you couldn't help yourself making an unrelated poke at everyone else who is sooooooo bad.

What do you say to people who have a good diet, exercise and STILL are battling diabetes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement