U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
18 years is nothing. Been a gymmer for 35+ years, at least twice a week and often 5 times a week.
But I enjoy it and always have.
That is great. 35 years several times a week and probably at least an hour each time. That really adds up. Have you done the equivalent to improve your knowledge and critical thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 03:15 AM

71,573 posts, read 71,730,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
18 years is nothing. Been a gymmer for 35+ years, at least twice a week and often 5 times a week.
But I enjoy it and always have.
it's enough that i hate it already lol

Old 11-19-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
How so?

I know three vegans. One is my 20 yr old daughter, and she's gained a lot of weight and muscle since adopting this diet a couple years ago. College student, works out at the gym regularly, and eats a lot! Not much fake meat either, though she did make a dish utilizing jackfruit instead of pork-Pulled Jackfruit?-that was pretty good.

The other two are very healthy young adults, 30 somethings, more active than most people their age.
One of them you'd probably never guess by looking at him because he's a husky guy over 200 lbs.
The other would fit the profile as she's a small, thin woman about 100 lbs. Try keeping up with her though! She's a real dynamo.
the ones i knew let themselves to get to skinny . they looked drawn and shapeless for guys .

if they stood sideways and stuck their tongue out they would look like a zipper

Old 11-19-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My husband and I love any dishes made from jackfruit. It’s so chewed, it’s like meat.
i don't think i can eat something called JACKFRUIT .

it reminds me of jack in the box's special JACK SAUCE .

when you asked what was in it , they said it's a secret ,we can't tell you .

Old 11-19-2018, 05:51 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Sheep roams around in the hills in England. Nothing unnatural about it. I can see beef, you need to raise it. Some people eat goat meat, I see them in my local supermarket. They also roam around freely.
What crops are grown on the land where they roam? The big issues with meat production are land and water use from an efficiency stand point.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:51 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,655,156 times
We try to eat a mostly plant-based diet, and are pretty careful about cutting down on sugar, salt, and breads when we can. When we do eat meat, we usually have chicken or fish, although we've been known to have an occasional lean bit of beef.

Cutting way back on meat sugar, salt and breads has helped us lose weight and feel healthier. But, I do think you can overdo it. We have friends who went 100% vegan. They don't even drink milk or eat cheese. At first they looked great, but as the months are passing the husband doesn't seem to be as vigorous as he once was. He seems a little too thin, and he brags about how he often "forgets to eat at all" some days. I hope he's healthy, but I have my doubts. The wife seems to be faring a little better. She's lost some weight, but doesn't yet look thin. The thing that worries me about her, though, is she doesn't seem as energetic as she once was. We used to take Zumba classes together, but now she can't complete a class. She also makes excuses to get out of the walking club that regularly does a 2-mile circuit around the neighborhood, and she used to love this walk. She seems very irritable these days.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:52 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
That is great. 35 years several times a week and probably at least an hour each time. That really adds up. Have you done the equivalent to improve your knowledge and critical thinking?
Dpes arguing with people on the internet count?

Old 11-19-2018, 08:42 AM

25,986 posts, read 32,996,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have been a programmer/systems analyst for 30+ years and also a system admin for the last 12 or so. Improving my knowledge and critical thinking is actually part of my job.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:21 AM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
What crops are grown on the land where they roam? The big issues with meat production are land and water use from an efficiency stand point.
You are talking about California when it comes to efficiency of water use and land, in England there’s no water necessary. Maybe this year it was a bit dry. But you can’t grow at these hills anyway. That’s why they are used to raise sheep,

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-19-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 10:40 AM

3,491 posts, read 1,916,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i don't think i can eat something called JACKFRUIT .

it reminds me of jack in the box's special JACK SAUCE .

when you asked what was in it , they said it's a secret ,we can't tell you .
LOL. Content of Jackfruit isn't an industry secret. Name is an English bastardization of native word for it.

If not interested in eating, maybe you could do some weight lifting exercises with the whole fruits, as they're huge. 60 lbs is the max, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement